Required home visits

Discussion in 'General Education' started by webmistress, Dec 11, 2010.

1. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 11, 2010

To piggyback off Ms I's thread in substitute teaching, I was wondering are there any other districts or schools out there that require regular education teachers to do home visits for all of their students.

After I was hired I was surprised (and stressed) that this was one of our requirements. You don't get any special training for such, and it's done on your own time and own (gas) money. It's also up to you to decide and find someone you would like to come with you for safety and protection as the neighborhoods were extremely violent.

Only teachers in the lowest-scoring inner-city schools had to do such. Teachers in higher-scoring schools didn't have to do this at all.

Was/is anybody else required to do this as a regular ed teacher?

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 11, 2010

Our headstart teachers are required to do home visits. However they only do half a day of instruction.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 11, 2010

I've heard of home visits required in lower-income districts to help get the parents acquainted with the teacher, as the parents may only be off on the weekends.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

We are required to meet with each of our parents once during the school year. This can be done through meetings at school, conferences, curriculum nights, family nights, or home visits. Most of our students attend conferences--so it's not a big deal.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 11, 2010

In Head Start a home visit can be done anywhere--school, restaruant, or park.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 11, 2010

wow....I would be reluctant to do it on my own time using my own gas especially in dangerous neighborhoods by myself with no compensation...

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 12, 2010

Same here. I was never thrilled w/ the idea of home visits. I wouldn't work a job that entailed this.

9. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

It's not required, but we do have a home visit program for those that want to participate.

Except, training is required, and it's paid time.

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 12, 2010

I have never heard of this for the general ed. population, but I know it is done with students who receive special education services in some places. It is most common with Early Childhood SPED, where I am.

11. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Dec 12, 2010

Is this a district mandate or campus level? I'm of the thought that federal laws regarding confidentiality would be violated if you took just anyone to a home visit. Your next door neighbor doesn't have a need to know so and so's hone address.

I have gone with an administrator when I wanted a parent. Normally to prove a point - you as the parent come when requested or we come see you. In fact, last week we went 8 in force (6 teachers and 2 administrators) to a mother's place of employment after she no showed us for the third time. We go work place before home. Also the neighborhood in which I teach is not safe at night, which now comes very early.

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 13, 2010

Dallas,
    It's a district mandate via the Parent-Teacher Contract. All schools have the contracts, but the contracts (surprisingly to me) vary depending on your school so that only the most troubling schools require teachers to do home visits.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2010

My school does not require this but I know a couple of teachers who do vist his and her homeroom students. I do not, and I have no intentions of doing so.

I remember my first year when a colleague returned upon home visits and she was briefing us on the experiences. Most of her notes where about the home structure, environment...and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I would not have wanted my teachers to take notes and make judgements—because this teacher was—based on my home.

I understand that is not the purpose, but still...not something I will be doing.