Requesting supplies from students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WonderW05, Jul 23, 2007.

1. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I am teaching in a very low economic area and I am wondering if I should send out a letter asking for supplies for the room as well as what the students would need. I am torn between writing a letter and just dismissing it knowing that I would have to foot the bill for folders, kleenex, and all of the stuff that 1st graders use. What would you do or have you done in the past?:)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

I've seen plenty of teachers add class supplies to the regular supply list. I don't see anything wrong with asking for a box of Kleenex and a box of baby wipes and whatever else you might need from each kid. If they can't bring it, they won't.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2007

I agree- it never hurts to ask. You will be shocked at how much things like kleenex will add up for you over time. My class usually goes through a box a week (more during sick days). That is over 6-7 dollars a month, just on that one thing. Add clorox or baby wipes, folders, pencils, paper towels, cleaner, glue etc, and you will never have any $$

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 23, 2007

ask. I have a similar population. You will get some supplies and that will help you out.

Also. When it come to class parties, I found overwhelming success with asking for donations. A lot of these families have food stamps and are happy to be able to donate food for a party because they can get it with their food stamps and get to help out.

6. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

a lot of these families want to help and many will do whatever they can to support you. I worked for HS and we were not allowed to ask our HS parents for anything, the "logic" behind it was if they qualified for HS then they weren't financially able to support the class.

One of my parents ended up being hired by our HS and was furious when during intro training she was told this. She was more than able to contribute (she told me partly because she was HS and didn't have to pay child care costs) and felt that in that instance HS was not helping her.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2007

I work in a low SES. I usually provide all materials using my budget, but if I ask for something from parents, I usally get it. They're pretty good about supplying something. I would ask then supply what you need.

8. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

:confused: I don't know if this is appropriate, but you could ask for a certain amount of $ per kid (if you get it then great, if not oh well). With this low amount of money you could prebuy the cheap sale items for your class now and that might help reimburse you. I just went to target and bought colored pencils 5/$1.00, crayons 20 cents per crayola pack (10 cents for rose art), and 2 pack jumbo elmers glue sticks 2/$1.00! So $5 can go far:D Just an idea, who knows if it would work???

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

I would never ask for money from students to pay for supplies.

10. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 24, 2007

thank you peachyness
    I have my letter ready to send out once I get my student list.

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 24, 2007

I wouldn't ask students for money outright, but I have to say, as I am running around town for these deals, where are the students? Why do I only see teachers? A least in my area it is all teachers and teachers' children at these sales.

12. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 24, 2007

If your school is like mine, we still have NOT received the school supply list, nor has the schools sent them to the stores yet...

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

Nicole, what is this HS you are referring to? At first, I thought you meant high school, but that didn't make sense! Please illuminate my denseness, lol.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2007

Head Start, maybe?

I read it as High School, too.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2007

You are probably right -- I didn't even think about Head Start.

16. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 24, 2007

I always have a tree on my white board during the first day or Meet the Teacher night that has cutouts of apples on it. Each apple has an item or items that I would like to have. I call it my "Giving Tree." The parents can take an apple that has an item they would like to purchase. It is my colorful creative way of begging.:2up: