Requesting Master Teacher

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by weiseteacher, Jul 23, 2008.

1. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Jul 24, 2008

We were only allowed to put in requests on where we wanted to Student Teach - which IMO was pointless because they sent everyone (unless from Long Island & were requesting a LI school) to the schools surrounding the campus.

I was very pleased with my placement and the teacher who I was given. She was excellent taught me well and I get to thank her for my job now b/c she retired & I took her spot!!!

I say take a chance and see who they give you. Its not like you won't be able to speak to her on certain occasions. I'm sure she would be willing to help if you ever had a question.

2. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jul 25, 2008

I was able to request my Master Teacher. I actually put my top 2 choices. In my situation, she said she would be my CT before I even put the request in so I knew I'd be with her, but they would have asked her first and then she could've said no if she didn't want a ST.

Because I went through an internship program, I think the University was very open to students finding their own Cooperating Teachers because through your internship you often form bonds with certain teachers, or get to observe styles of teaching that are aligned with yours, so it's more beneficial to let the student make arrangements if they can and choose to.

3. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Jul 25, 2008

If you're the head of your grade or department and you KNOW you will be out of the classroom a lot and in fact have a dedicated aide for your class who takes over on a regular basis, please do NOT be a CT because your poor ST will have to redo so many lessons when you're pulled out for a meeting mid-way through an assessed lesson! Its not fair.

Also, allow the student to take over for a period of time. Yes, it messes up your plans, but we NEED a chance to run the class, SUPERVISED! I was never allowed to do so and never knew WHEN I was doing my lessons because of the uncertainty of the CT and her schedule!

Regarding the requesting, we don't get assistance from our university, we have to find our own ST placements.

4. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I was allowed to choose my own field experience teacher, but not my ST master teacher. Though I had a rough experience, I most certainly learned quite a bit. Either way, you will learn so much that will make you an excellent teacher.

5. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

My program wouldn't let you but there was a way around it...the principal wrote an email to the coordinator saying he wanted me at his school and there were two different teachers he could place me with (for the primary placement.) I got who I wanted this way.

6. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 12, 2008

I got to choose my MT. On my ST application I got to make 3 requests of school, district, grade level, and specific teacher, and mark which was the priority in each choice. I requested to be with the teacher I had for Kindergarten :haha: I have worked in her classroom quite a bit over the last 5 or 6 years as a volunteer, so I know I am comfortable with her and she is really supportive of my schooling.

I have spoken with my coordinator since then and she said it should not be a problem at all to pair me with her. The teacher has also made a request to have me placed in her classroom.

I also agree with the advice to possibly work with another teacher; though I have worked with this particular teacher in the past, I got to work with many others throughout my school's program, and it has been great to see the many different techniques and approaches.

It can't hurt to ask, though! If it's something you are really sure about and think it will benefit you, then I say go for it!!!! :2up: