requesting a student not be in your room?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by terptoteacher, Aug 18, 2010.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2010

Spinning off another thread....

Have you ever asked that a certain student not be placed in your room???

I did for this next year because I just get a weird vibe from the mother who subs in our building.....I don't think we'd have a good working relationship.....

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2010

The only child I would request not to be in my class does not exist. It would be the non-existent younger sibling to a child I had who was challenging; but she was nothing compared to her mom. The apple was clear as to the tree it fell from.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

I have 2 students on my roster who failed my class last year and have to retake it. Their scores were too low to go to summer school. I am not sure what the other 9th grade teacher's schedule is, but if she has the same class at the same time, I might see if she can take them. I don't think it's a good idea to put a kid back in the same class with the same teacher they already failed. Sometimes a different environment is good, and I also don't think it is fair that in these 2 cases the kids were lazy and didn't do any work, and now they are taking the class over again - they have already been exposed to all the stories and have already done (some of) the work.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

I requested not to teach a student this year, but they didn't fix his schedule, so I will. Last year I wrote seven office referrals, and five of them were him. He was just a wall of constant disrespect.

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

Yes I have but it had nothing to do with the student and everything to do with his mom. My partner had a similar issue with another mom so we made sure that we would each have the other one, if that makes sense. It worked out well for us, of cousre the principal was aware and on board.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

No, but there is a student coming up in 2 years who I will not have. I had her sister and the mother hated me. She brought her kids here under NCLB and her oldest daughter had never passed any of her standardized test before. Now, I expect a lot from my kids- I will not baby or spoon feed them. The mother thought I was too strict/mean. Well, her daughter passed ALL THREE 5th grade tests. So, I guess I am 'mean/strict' for a reason! But, I won't have the younger child just because I (and my P) do not want to have me dealing with the mom again.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

Last year I had a whole class demand that I "request" them.

Here's my response:

"We don't request kids, any more than the school honors their requests for us. If they did assign classes by requests, think of how many of your classmates would have no teacher!!!!"

Someone has to teach the difficult kids.

The only requests that are honored are when a teacher requests not to teach his or her child (or, on occasion, sibling.)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

A request to not have a child would be honoured--in fact, such a request would be looked upon as unprofessional by my principal. I have requested that certain challenging students be placed in my English class-I have all of the Special Ed students.

10. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 19, 2010

I have only requested that I not teach one set of students- a set of twins. I had known their mother ever since I was young as our fathers played softball together. I knew too much information about their family... the alleged emotional, physical, and verbal abuse that the mother endured by the father. I didn't think that I would be able to have as professional of a relationship with both parents because of the information. The kids were darling... I just didn't want my inside info clouding my judgement where they were concerned.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

In a situation like the one you described, DaleJr, I could see speaking to my principal about it--those are very unusual circumstances.

12. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

I just saw my homeroom list and see that I also have a student that I failed last year. I wonder if I will only get cute "I know" faces
    when we conference about missing work/poor test scores, etc, and then the surprise "I need to pass, how can I do that?" on the last day of the semester/year again. Haven't seen the entire roster yet (will get on Monday), but there are at least 2 more I failed that I am hoping have the other teacher who teaches the course.

I always thought it made sense to place students repeating a class with a different teacher whenever possible. But apparently it doesn't always happen.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

There was one that I would've, but gave benefit of the doubt. He was removed after & outburst!

14. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

I requested not to have my daughter and her 2 best buds. These are children who hang out at my house and I am close friends with their parents. However...the only one out of the 3 I ended up not getting was my daughter...oh well. Life goes on!!!

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 19, 2010

In my school, teachers meet together to place students for the next year. So at the end of the year, the grade one teachers met with the grade two teachers to do class composition. Since I was moving from grade one to grade two, I had some opinions about who would be the best for each student. In one case, I had a student that I found to be very difficult to teach. I liked him alright, but I don't think I was a great match for him. I do know however, that the teacher he is going to next year will be a PERFECT fit. It's actually really great, because there are no "bad" teachers... we can base it on who's personality meshes best with each student.

So, no, I haven't requested no to have a student... though if I end up moving up a grade again next year, there will be several students I will request not to have based on having them two years in a row! (Though I doubt that would happen, anyway)

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 19, 2010

The only time I requested to not work with a student was the older sister of a previous student. I didn't have the older sister in my class, but I could have helped her with her 8th grade science project. Her younger sister was horribly mean to me (she played the "I'm rich and you're not" card) and even trying to get a petition going among the grade to stop me from giving homework (which completely blew up in her face and she denied ever doing it). So I figured that her older sister wouldn't be much different (and she's not--- she still has the stuck up attitude) and I kindly told her science teacher I wouldn't be able to help her (her teacher completely understood).

17. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

There was once I requested not to have a student in my class simply because I was good friends with the mother. I had the older sister in class, and it was difficult on mine and the mother's friendship because I couldn't go to their house, etc because I felt it crossed professional lines. So, I requested the second daughter not be put in my class due to those reasons. However, if it hadn't been honored, I would have been perfectly fine with that.

18. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 19, 2010

I requested not to have a little girl in my class this year. I don't have anything against the girl, but I taught her older brother several years ago and had LOTS of problems with the mom. It was clear that the mom did not like me and I can guarantee that she would not have wanted her daughter in my class anyway. I just let the principal know so that she wouldn't have the mom coming in and demanding that her child be switched classes the first day of school.

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 19, 2010

I have requested not to have a family again...not just the child, but all of the brothers and sisters. At the time I was teaching in a school with 10 2nd grade students. The principal was not surprised...it seemed that every teacher that had had the family asked the same thing. The dad and mom got into a fight at open house and the dad was arrested at school. Things did not get better that year. They hated each other and tried to get the school in the middle of it. I felt that they both were bad parents and both should have been banned from school....by the way, the little girl was a sweety. Older sister was a pain like the parents. There were five kids in the middle of this mess.

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 19, 2010

I would have requested not to have a certain child my first year of teaching. She had been our next door neighbor for several years and I felt I was too close to her and her family. Especially since it was my first year teaching. I was told that my request would have been honored. I did not need to go down that road - she did not have my subject that semester.

I just found out today that I have a student who failed my class two years ago. I have learned a lot since that first year teaching and this is his last chance to pass if he wants to graduate. So I hope that it will be a better fit for him. I do wish his schedule had worked out differently but I will do whatever I can to get him through it this year. I remember him being a nice kid so that's a plus!

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2010

I have - a student I'd had the year before who had been removed from my class that year after a very personal, verbal assault on me.

22. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

I have only not requested one student and it was for his benefit. He has a lot of behavior issues and with me being absent so much it would not have been good for his stability.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2010

I don't very often, but I have.

I used to trade my crazy family members for a co-worker's crazy neighbors. It worked great for both of us.

The only other one I ever asked to have moved was due to the mother, not the child. The child seemed pretty good, actually, but the mother was a real piece of work. I had "met" her in the parking lot of a grocery store when she approached my vehicle and cussed me out. She ran a red light at an intersection, and I thought I was going to hit her. I blew my horn. She gave me the finger. I was headed to the grocery. She was, too. When I pulled in behind her at the store, she parked her car and RAN to my car like a wild woman. She scared me to death. I didn't get out of the car and just left. I'd have called the police, but that was in the pre-cell phone days . . . and I was not getting out of the car.

24. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

I have only seriously requested to not have one student -- but she is my sister-in-law. (Weird, I know... my husband's father remarried and had a child with 2nd wife, now ex, and SIL is about 16 years younger than hubby.) Especially since hubby and I aren't speaking to his father, that would have been rather difficult.

I have jokingly requested not having kids, or transfering, but nothing serious. (With the counselor or VP, not the kid... that would not be a good thing to do!)

25. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

I nearly always have to at least once, because inevitably they will roster someone for my drama class who has already had it, and they can't get the credit again . . . but that's not the same as what most of you are talking about :)

I agree with those who have said that if a child failed a course with a teacher, they should not have that teacher for that course again. That kid needs a fresh start.

26. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

i have only requested not to have a student that I held back, usually one year is enough LOL

27. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 19, 2010

I had a student whose parent didn't like me and made it clear to the former principal when I had the oldest child. When the next child came up, I suggested it would be better for the child not to be in my class so Mom didn't put the child in the middle of our issues. I had another parent who complained about me often. I suggested that be placed in the other class, also. Better for the child not to have deal with it.