Requesting a Score Review

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by minibear7, Aug 4, 2019.

1. minibear7

minibear7 Rookie

Aug 4, 2019

I recently failed the Praxis 5019 by 2 points. I looked on the Praxis website and it says that you can submit a score review request for $65 for constructed responses. If there is a change in score (higher or lower), they will refund you the fee. If no change has been made, you will not receive a refund. Has anyone submitted a request for review, if so, what was the outcome? Thanks!

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 5, 2019

I have never personally submitted a rescore as I passed all of my certification tests on the first try, but I strongly recommend AGAINST submitting yours. The evaluators almost never change a score after it’s graded and so you will have essentially wasted $65. Speaking of which, I have only seen maybe 1-2 test takers have their scores changed from non-passing to passing in the almost six years that I have been visiting these forums. It just isn’t worth it unless you think they did not score something properly.

vickilyn likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 5, 2019

At one point we had several people who were sure their score would go up by the single point they needed (to pass the Praxis exam they had taken) posting on the forum. Despite the good advice NOT to get hopes up on the rescore, most were convinced that they would be the exception and their score would go up by the missing point (or two). I remember only one who posted that their score had gone up by the single point, to achieve a passing score, and none of the others improved their score, meaning they still had to retake the test, $65 poorer. I will guarantee that you believe they were too tough on some essay portion of the test you took, but I will also guarantee that ETS goes to great lengths to make sure that there is consistency in their evaluation staff, so even a single point change is exceedingly rare. Needing a 2 point change would be enough to convince me to save my money and get back to studying for the exam. Let me wish you good luck on your next try.

I looked up your Praxis exam, and the Elementary Ed. exam is taken so frequently that a rescore has virtually zero chance of improving to a passing grade. Save your money and spend the month or so it would take for the rescore studying to take the test again. Sorry that is not what you want to hear.

Of course, by now, you should be eligible to take the test now, or within a couple of days - I seem to remember a 30 day span, or more, between taking the tests written somewhere on their website. You might try writing a post to Teachergroupie on this forum, when you have all of your results about what your strengths and weaknesses were according to the scoring, and perhaps Teachergroupie can give some direction for either more ways to study, or give guidance on what seems to be lacking in your essay writing. Teachergroupie is the best at deciphering the test result pages to ferret out information that can help you improve your scores, instead of repeating the same mistakes. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2019

I would just retake the test.

whizkid and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2019

(Well, now I know why my ears were burning.)

Back in the day of the paper-based test, what rescoring or score verification meant for selected-response questions (multiple choice, drag and drop, and matching) and numerical fill-in answers was pretty much running the bubble-in answer sheet through the scanning machine again; constructed responses weren't rescored because they'd already been read in a scoring session by at least two human scorers, so the test companies' position was that the constructed response scores were already as validated as they could get. Computer-based tests are obviously differently constituted, but I think that doesn't make a material difference to score verification.

Constructed responses are almost never essays, and certainly not in the sense of requiring strict adherence to Standard English grammar and mechanics. (The exceptions are pretty much exclusively either basic skills essays, the goal of which is to show off one's grasp of standard grammar and mechanics while making one's point, and literary analyses, in which the goal is to demonstrate one's ability to do literature while sounding, um, literate.) A strong answer to an elementary-education-test math question can perfectly well consist of doing the math, with annotations that justify each move and that also allow for showing off appropriate bits of one's subject-matter vocabulary. A strong answer in science or math or social studies or reading instruction can perfectly well include or even largely consist of bullet points - again, provided the test taker provides enough technical terminology to give the impression of having a reasonably adult grasp of the subject matter.

It's worth adding that 5019 is a single test, not a battery of subtests: one passes or doesn't pass the whole thing. The practical consequence of this is that it is possible to boost one's score by improving in a domain (subject area) in which one is already strong.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. minibear7

minibear7 Rookie

Aug 15, 2019

Thank you all for your replies. Unfortunately, in my state, they are no longer offering the 5019 exam and are replacing it with the 5001 (multiple subjects test) beginning September 1, 2019. It is also too late to sign up for re-take as the testing window has since closed.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 15, 2019

The good news is that there is a lot of information posted in the forums about Praxis 5001. Hopefully you will find it useful as you move forward.

futuremathsprof likes this.