Request: Little details & tips for staying organized

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Teachling, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 31, 2008

I would love to hear from teachers whether seasoned or new like me who have good ideas on organization tips & little things you should be aware of. As an example, I am team teaching a couple of subjects & have realized that I have to set up baskets for classroom activities for each class as well as an inbox for each subject.

On Friday, I set up a drawer for each day of the week & included a different color folder for each subject I teach that will contain lesson plans & any relevant doc's such as handouts. I used a 10 drawer organizer I purchased from Staples for this so I still have 5 drawers/bins I can use as well.

Just some examples of things I have been working on to come up with a system that will keep me organize. I would love to hear your ideas. Please share.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2008

I wear mini lined index cards on a ring and attach it to my belt loop. It is an instant note taking or scratch pad on hand at a moments notice which is handy as an aide who has to go back and forth between classes. Any time I have an idea, I put write it down. I keep my to do lists on me, etc. When I have accomplished something, I tear it off and throw it away.

4. math_teacher

math_teacher Companion

Aug 31, 2008

cutNglue -- that is SUCH a unique idea -- COOL!!!!!

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2008

They sell them at Walmart (my favorite place). :)

6. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

i will be keeping a folder for each student to put late passes, signed contracts, etc. It will be organized and for parent/teacher conferences I will have everything in one place. I will also be putting some of the student work in there too.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2008

I put note cards near the homework check-in spot. If a student is missing all or part of the assignments, he/she must fill out a card with name, date, and missed assignment. I take those cards to lunch and call kids to come back to 'study hall' in my classroom to finish.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2008

How do you know if they are honestly doing it Updaisy?

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 31, 2008

A notebook with clear sleeves to put copies of forms. Field trip forms that need to be signed and etc. One sleeve for each different form.

Master copy. Use a yellow high lighter to high lite the the title. When you make copies the yellow doesn't show and you know which is your master copy.

A folder for each student. Pre test. student record with phone numbers, addresses, meds they take, papers you want to show parents at parent conferences, notes to and from parent, and etc. Divide each section with tabs.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 31, 2008

Well, I have a small class and I have to ask some of the kids individually. Sometimes I have them all hold up a workbook page to show me.

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 31, 2008

I got myself a binder that I call my "Teacher Notebook" it has all the papers, booklets, meeting notes, handbooks, school calendar, my schedule, student contact info, teacher phone list, etc that I could ever need to be a teacher at my school.

I also have given each of my sections a color and everything that I have for that session is that particular color.

I also keep my desk clear of any desk organizing items--- they're too cluttering for me. Instead I put up pictures, cute little things that I like that shows the kids about ME!

I have a homework bin (the stackable kind to save room) for each of my sections (color-coded of course!) and two folders for each section (in their color too): One for graded and to-be graded work and a second folder for Absent Student work (that way kids know exactly where to look for their work without asking me).

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 31, 2008

I do that too, except I have 2 separate hanging files for each student; one for work samples, and the other for "everything else"

I immediately staples stacks of assignments together when I collect them, and I trained my kids to do the same. So simple, but wow, what a difference in lost papers :)

I also have a teacher binder. It's great for things I know I should keep but I have no clue what to do with them :) It's my catch-all binder LOL

I also have a paper sorter on my desk where I put papers that need to go to the office, papers that need to be handed out from the office, and copies to be made.

I never check my email without my planner in hand.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 31, 2008

Last year I brought those slash pocket dividers (sturdy ones). I had different colors for different subjects. They were unfinished work folders. They stood up nicely and I could see in a glance if someone didn't have any or if someone had a lot.

14. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 31, 2008

I'm using several tips I got from Ms. Powell's web site. My favorite is the desk organizing bins for keeping a handle on paperwork.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008

I also am a fan of keeping my desk organizer-free. My desk has a basket of fall flowers and an apple paper weight. All else I need is kept in the drawers, out of sight, and clutter free. I need my desk top for working with students or spreading out my materials while teaching.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2008

On my desk, I have a paper sorter thing (evelope holder? I don't know) and I have a different colored folder for each day of the week. All copies and transparencies needed for that day are in that folder.

17. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

I got one of those tool organizers at Home Depot (used for screws/nails) and its perfect for organizing office supplies like paper clips/staples/etc.

I also got stackable trays from IKEA. The top is my mailbox where kids put notes from home/papers to be sent to the office, etc. The bottom are papers that have to be filed, and they have to be filed nightly before I go home. I was horrible at filling last year and spent THREE days going through it all at the end of the year.

I also LOVE magazine holders. I organized my teacher resource books that way. I organized them by math, reading, writing, mailbox magazines, etc. :)

Hope these help!

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

Buck it sounds like the one I purchased! It has these see through drawers that you can quickly see what is inside. I use mine for the writing center & I can fit the smaller post cards from Vista in them as well as pencils, clips, etc. I also use the magazine for resource books but also for some of my centers such as the Word Wall since I have to have two --- the magazine rack helps distinction the Spanish from the English (kids were getting confuse). I also placed one by the writing center since it's next to the door and I use it for placing paperwork from the office I will need to distribute at the end of the day. So far, it's helped me keep track of the paperwork I need to hand out.

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

Love the teacher notebook idea & unbeknownst to me I kind of have done something like that. My first week, the principal & secretary handed out a bunch of paperwork dealing with student records, leave forms, training schedules, student schedules, etc. & I quickly put it all in a binder with a draft of a table of content to further develop later. I like your idea & will expand on it. I already have detail info on my students & I have been working on doing a spreadsheet to keep track of their info in one place. I will definitely be putting this doc in there as well.

As for the clutter free desk, I don't have to worry about that since I put mine on the other side of room and it has become my student center for turning in homework & lunch count & perhaps a center when we start rotating. My goal is to keep my classroom clutter free. I just hope I can but with limited space & all the things that I have to have it may be difficult.

20. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2008

Our "teacher binder" is already done for us...we actually have 3 binders with all the info we will ever need to know, and got an additional 2 binders this year for parent contact and student referrals. All are behind my desk, not on my desk!
    I keep a small notebook with a page or 2 per student- and then I write down things that I need to remember- something I would like to bring up at conferences, a certain skill that needs work, or behavior that needs to be tracked for the future...it is really helpful!