Reports from the Job Fair Circuit

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Mar 7, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

Place your Job Fair reports here.

Questions asked. (I swear there is a question of the year magazine that they all subscribe to)

Sights seen. ("Hey, I want to try that." - to - "Oh, that's just wrong!")

Accomplishments (what went over well)

Mistakes (what DIDN'T go over well)

Interview Attrie reports. (helpful hints for others)

Overheard @ the job fair (by administrators/by candidates)

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

Questions asked.

Alot of :
    why did you become a teacher?
    what strategies do you commonly use?

Sights seen.

Still not a lot of brochures... and they make an impression!

The lines are INCREDIBLY long. Today's job fair (and this is a local county fair...a county that is highly sought after) was heard to have over 1,600 candidates. I think that estimate was REALLY low! The lines were on average an hour long...but the mini-interviews were longer, as well, than the campus interviews (5-10 minutes instead of 1-4 minutes).

THANK YOU to the districts that will have a greeter asking what you are certified for - then guiding you to the correct line or telling you, "We won't be hiring any ____ this year. You could use your time more wisely looking elsewere." THANK YOU! - Makes up for the other day.

Accomplishments (What went over well)

Confidence! Not looking scared this year BECAUSE I was prepared and practiced by using the AtoZ interview question section to my advantage!!!

Something i NEVER thought I would EVER do:
    This woman was walking around yelling, "the Job Fair closes in 2 minutes. All interviews must be finished in TWO minutes. PERIOD!!!" (Guess SOMEONE had to be the meany...and they chose the right woman for the job!) So my interviewer (of whom, I should add, started off having great rapport with me from the first moment - we both felt we had known each other from someplace before) says "Ok, we'll have to work fast... last question: Why should we hire you?" And I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind..."I'm Excellent!" We both laughed. She said, "That's the first time anyone has ever answered me like that." and I admited "I can't believe I just said that. But it's hard to be humble when you are running against a clock." Then i said, "Seriously... if i were in your shoes and a candidate came to me with the experience and crendentials I have, and the abilities I KNOW I can bring to your school district (explained them), i would hire them. And believe me, I would be making a wonderful choice." TALK ABOUT HUTZBAH! But I was afraid this was my last few moments of this fair to make a difference, and I went for it!

Mistakes
    I swear. You know those tv shows and movies where one character is out of control and someone takes them and shakes them straight -or slaps them - and they say, "Thanks, I needed that!"? I feel like I need that sometimes. I start going and sometimes I worry....am I on TOO MUCH of a roll??? "Someone Stop me before I stick my FOOT in something!"

Interview Attire reports.

95% suits. Don't dress down...especially THIS year.

LOTS of black. If you are wearing black, wear a splash of SOME color.

Overheard @ the job fair

From a candidate: "They asked me....'How do you teach literacy?' and I froze. I think if my professor was here, she would have shot me!"

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

oh....and one more thing that SHOCKED me... but...

There were BUSES of candidates coming in from OTHER STATES. Yes, we live in a WONDERFUL county...the taxes are HIGH (HELP!!!) and therefore the expectations taxpapers HAVE for the schools keep them soaring into great productive arenas too. [EX: We moved to this area...and I PAY for it.... because the high school my kids fed into is always rated in the top ten in the nation. If you ask 85% of the neighbors they'd say the same...along with the -and the moment they graduate we are moving to find tax relief! that was my plan-until the econmy decided to KEEP me here a little longer.]

But I was shocked to hear that there were buses from Michigan there.

Secondly... The fair started at 8am...and I hear that people were lined up at 5:45am. :eek:

Being the procrasinator.. I was at a 24 hour Kinko's copying off the day's resumes.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

Drop Boxes:

One thing I liked at this job fair... but have never seen at others... were drop boxes.

A whole long line of tables with copy paper boxes lined up on it. Each box was labeled with a school district or special education council represented at the fair.

What you did was to go and drop your resume in the box and at the end of the fair the district took it with them. So even if you didn't get TO the table, they still had your resume.

I think all fairs should adopt this feature. It's not easy dropping a resume on their table as you leave. Often times, to do so, you are cutting in front of others who have stood in line (and you know how long lines are!). Having, at times, been the next person to be interviewed, and having someone cuts in front saying, "I'm just going to drop this off (and the interviewer feeling they should ask them a few one-line questions)... "Hey, helLO!"

BUT.. A word of advice IF drop boxes exist at your job fair... it's best to have two copies of your job fair packet for each district... one to the table and one to the drop box.

That DOES though get expensive print-wise.

So if you are like ME and only brought one per district learn the lesson I wish I knew in advance. As the clock is ticking down...and you realize that you AREN'T going to see all of the 7000 districts you dreamed of talking to.. head over to the drop boxes and start dropping. (It'll only have a minute or two vs. the 10 minute line of candidates who waited until the end.)

I left it to the end (favoring to stand in lines - thinking I was using my time in a wiser fashion) - but some district (perhaps they are clock watchers) grabbed their boxes and RAN out before I could drop.

Just a lesson you learn.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2009

Wow!

I'm not looking for a job. But if I were, these 3 posts would have been incredibly helpful. Thanks from all those who will benefit!!

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

OK... the pep talk....

I know that some (here) might think I come across as having confidence, but if I do... in real life... it's often an act. Because inside, I am often frightened at first.

My GREATEST (and perhaps only) fear in teaching...interviews. I choke, my mind goes blank, I sweat (yuck)... though bangs really help ;), and I know I'm not going to do well. I think it was Henry Ford who said, "If you think you can or think you can't, you're right." Well, when it comes to interviews i fear i can't.... and it often shows in my performance, or my FEELING about my performance. (It's SO strange... I have NO FEAR of public speaking. I have spoken to football fields of people on a few occassions - no prob, Auditoriums full - piece of cake, Classrooms full - second nature, small groups - are you kidding? easy!.... BUT put me one on one WITH a person who is judging my words and ..PANIC!!!

BUT... maybe it was the chats i have had with my brothers recently (THEY have confidence in me - my one brother says..it's merely selling yourself. Easy for HIM to say), or the fact that I have drilled the A to z Interview question section into my mind (made flash cards.. hand-wrote out answers a number of times - my personal best way to study) ... or the pep talk...but this time was different.

Pep Talk... (I was walking out of the Kinko's copy shop with my new resumes - all in their respective folders for each table/district, and on my way to the fair when this talk just CAME to me. Thank you, God.) McKenna, No one is going to ring the door-bell and give you a job. YOU have to go out and get it. It's a product. the product is YOU! And you are the ONLY one who knows how wonderful this product really is. Just TELL them about it."

ANd this fair... it was different.

I only saw four tables (in 4 hours...sheeesh) but I have two that were DEFINITELY interested, and two that were quite/very interested. (If my feet would have held up longer...and the fair-an EXTREMELY short fair- would have continued...I think I could have road the wave longer.)

YOU are the product!
    Know one knows how WONDERFUL it is but you.
    Go SELL it!

8. palla

palla Companion

Mar 8, 2009

McKenna, you gave great advice! You do have to sell yourself. It is a big marketing game. I love your answer to why should we hire you. I have been asked that before, and I say "I am an excellent teacher." And then I go on to focus on the skills that I have that the school could benefit from. It may sound over confident to some, but if you say it the right way with the right tone and go on to explain why you are good, they will usually appreciate it.

9. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

Could I wear a suit with a tee shirt underneath with the words HIRE ME on it? Do you think that would help =)

haha. I have not gone to a job fair yet, but will be going in April. There is only ONE that I can go to because the rest are closed.. and I haven't seen any others. I know that it is going to be insane, but I hope it works! I do have to pay like 60dollars to go.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

You have to pay $60???????

WHY? Do others usually pay for their job fairs?

Ours (in Illinois) are free. One - my alma mater _ "charges" a copy of your resume. Come to think of it...another college job fair I went to on Friday did the same. (I was sort-of angry because I had just enough resumes... and that made me one short.)

But paying $60??? I might have second thoughts in todays economy about paying that much to attend a a job fair.

11. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Mar 8, 2009

im not even really sure how to go about finding job fairs. is there somewhere specific i should look?

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 8, 2009

They require a resume for entrance so that people aren't showing up with family and friends and random strangers aren't just cruising the job fair. You know it would happen...sad but true. Of course, anyone can type up or print off a phony resume so it's not fool-proof.

13. palla

palla Companion

Mar 8, 2009

Hummm.... I hadn't really thought of that. I can't imagine wanting to crash a job fair, but stranger things have happened!!

14. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

Actually, they are probably collecting resumes so they can update your contact information in their alumni database, so they can start/keep bugging you for donations.

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

I would start looking at universities (state colleges) nearest to you.

Or put your state and educators "job fair"

or state and teacher "job fair"

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

oh... also look at your county's "regional office of education" website or whatever they call it by you

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 8, 2009

Too bad for them... I'm not the college-donating type.

I paid FULL PRICE for my education because they wouldn't allow me ANY help. Nor allow me to do any work-study jobs.

So..they have had ENOUGH of my money.

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2009

That might be true of campus job fairs. I've never attended one of those. I've found my jobs at school district job fairs. The ones I've gone to ask for a copy to keep people from wandering in.