Reporting a Professor

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by tiki7719, Dec 9, 2008.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 9, 2008

What would be the best way to report a professor to a university? I would like to voice my concerns about this particular professor.

She "targeted" me since the 2nd or 3rd week of school. For the entire semester, she has given me dirty looks during class and graded my papers a lot harsher then my peers. Today, we received our participation grades for the class. I was absent 2x (one was excused and the other was not, but, by university standards, since we met 2x a week for a class, I am allowed 2 unexcused absences) and I received a B+. One of my classmates, who missed more than I did and rarely participated received an A. I, at the least, attempted to participate during the classes (raising my hand, etc.)

Also, during our test, she did the usual and asked us to turn off cell phones and put them away, which is understandable. But, she was able to sit there and text on her phone which beeps when she presses the buttons (which was quite distracting in a quiet room).

I have a feeling she dislikes me because I am a fan of a colleague of hers, who she does not get along with.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to the Dean (sign it as anonymous) and forward it to the head of the department in which she's in. What should I write in that letter? Should I e-mail her first and ask why I deserve the B+ and not the A?

Any feedback would help!

Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 9, 2008

You're probably wasting your time.

4. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Dec 9, 2008

I disagree. If you believe that you are entitled to an A you should fight for it. I definitely would. I have gone to extreme measures when I received an unfair grade and it has always been changed.

5. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Dec 9, 2008

Thanks for the responses :)

She's not a tenure teacher (she's only been at the university for 3 years), so, that is the only reason why I don't think its a waste of time.

Should I e-mail her first and ask why or go directly to the dean and/or head of the department?

I can tell she singles me out because I'll get a B on a paper and she'll say I wrote a "solid essay" whereas another classmate of mine will get an A and she'll mention to him/her to see her if they need extra help. I'm so sick of it!

6. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Dec 9, 2008

You're wasting your time unless you have a paper that you could appeal to be re-marked by someone else. An anonymous letter especially will get you no where. No dean is going to be very concerned that a student is upset he / she got a B+ instead of an A, and if you establish a reputation as a gradophobic whiner in your department it could only put your future work under more scrutiny.

7. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2008

If you have a problem with her you should go directly to her first.

If you are going to write do not make it anonymous. If I received an anonymous letter I would toss it.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 9, 2008

I'd contact her via email, so you can keep written records of everything that was said btwn the 2 of you. That's what I love about email...everything's in writing.

I hope it all turns out well!

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 9, 2008

I would email the professor first as well. I also agree on not making the letter to the dean annonymous. Let them know who you are.

It's good you are saying something because so many people think that it's a waste of time, or won't do any good. But what if you're the 2nd or 3rd person to complain about this professor? The university deserves to know...and it may help other students in the future, if this prof. gets corrected.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2008

I agree that you should contact the teacher first via email. Then if nothing is done, or you don't feel like its been taken care of then go to the dean, but make sure to sign your name. Honestly though I don't think it will do any good because there is no way you can concretely prove that this teacher is after you.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 9, 2008

Well.......there are ways. You have to go up the chain of command, and it will take a lot of time and more than likely not be successful, but it can, and has, been done. First things first. Can you get copies of the other essays? You need a side by side comparison for ANY acusation like this to be given even a fleeting consideration. After you have aquired several other essays, then you need to make an appt to speak with the professor. Document what is said and any action taken. If you still don't see a result, then you need to go to the Department Chair, not the Dean. Go through the same procedure with the Dept. Chair. The first thing he will ask you is if you've spoken with the professor. You respond by saying yes and laying out your notes from that meeting. Then you present your case to him. If he's anything like my dept. chair, he'll either shoot you down or refer you to the grade override committe (yes, there exists such a beast). My dept. chair actually referes all but the most rediculous cases to the committee. At my school, you would then have to fill out a mountain of paperwork, write a thesis worth explaination, citing reasons and evidence, and documenting dates and times of any and all communication regarding the matter. If the committee doesn't reject your appeal outright, then they'll call you in for you to present your case in person (think grand jury here). They're pretty brutal about it...it's not a pleasant experience. If you survive all of that, they'll ask you to re-submit your work to be re-graded by other professors to see if there's a consensus among them. If there is, then they change your grade. This happens so infrequently that you'd be better off playing the lottery. Note, this is how it works at the college where I work...It could be different where you are.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2008

Wow.... that sure is a LOT of work.... too bad this professor is a bit, unfair. I had a professor at my university a bit like that. She was rude to a group of us, but nice and sweet, to the other group of girls in the class. She didn't teach us very well. She would have a project for us to do when we first arrive to class, but never expalin anything about it, what to do, and never explained at the end of class how this pertained to teaching. It was a miserable class. I ended up with a "C" (my very first and only "C"). I was furious. I worked so hard in the class, but alas, she tested us on things she never went over, I visited her in the office, but she was never helpful. She also would teach the other section things but now our section, and still have us both sections the exact same test. When we all confronter her, she said, oh well. But, what can we do??? Uh, do the things mentioned above. But when? It's funny how easy regular, elem teachers who are not tenured can be "fired".
    :2cents:

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 9, 2008

There IS a reason why they make things so difficult. You would not believe the number of stupid things that students will do in order to get around the rules or a grade. In my time on the override committe I've seen:

-a student claim she failed a class and should be given an incomplete because she had a baby, but the documents she produced showed the "baby" was born three years prior

-a student claim a 25yr professor, much beloved professor, failed her because he was not only biased against women, but was also a wife beater (funny, he's not married).

-Students say exactly what the OP is saying, but when they produce the essays, the proof, shall we say, was in the pudding.

-Students say the teacher was biased against them and they would have passed the class otherwise, but when we look, they'd taken the class THREE OHTER TIMES.

I could go on and on and on about the stupid stuff we hear, but I'll spare you the details. Lets just say, that when a student complains about a professor, it's always taken with a VERY large grain of salt.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2008

I think that, if you think your complaint is valid, there's every reason in the world to sign it. Otherwise, how on earth do you expect any action to be taken?

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 10, 2008

Don't do an anonymous letter, admin never takes anyone serious who won't sign their name.

Chose your battles carefully.

Do you have time to pursue this?

Will you have to take her again?

Is taking a B going to change your life status?

Will it matter 10 years from now?

Will it keep you from getting a job?

Let it go, enjoy the holiday season. Life is stressful enough without having to make it more complicated.