Report cards?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Oct 2, 2010.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Oct 2, 2010

My pre-k class is part of an elementary school, so I am required to do report cards and progress reports. Does anyone else issue quarterly report cards or progress reports for their pre-k class? What do you find beneficial to have in it, any ideas or help would be beneficial. The school has pretty much left it up to my discretion. This is my first year.

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 2, 2010

This is my first year too. What I've seen done in other places though, is a cute pictoral "report card/progress report". There are small drawings (about 20 I believe) of children doing various activities, with captions underneath. (Ex: Child talking on the phone. "I can communicate with my peers and adults around me.")

There are three possible "grades" for each picture:
    N=Not Yet
    S=Sometimes
    A=Almost Always

hope this helps!

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 3, 2010

We use progress reports twice a year. These are the main areas of reporting: social/emotional, math readiness, literacy, self awareness (knows full name, age, can draw a self portrait that contains at least 5 details), fine motor development, and gross motor development.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2010

Yep, we do progress reports here too. Twice a year.

6. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Oct 3, 2010

We have report cards every 9 weeks. The report card shows their progress recognizing letters, phonic sounds, writing name, recognizing name, counting, writing numbers 1-10, recognize numbers 1-10 identifying simple pattern, recognize colors and shapes, gross motor skills such as hopping and running, cutting ability, drawing and writing, and classroom skills such as listening, following instructions, getting along with others, etc. They get a check mark for progress up to 30 percent, a plus mark up to 90 percent and a star for 100 percent achieved.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 4, 2010

We "technically" use the Creative Curriculum checklists for our at-risk kids (we dont' have typicals), but for our EC kids, we just use goal updates

Another district I was in only reported on social/emotional objectives for the first trimester... shares, takes turns, respects rules, etc. That was REALLY nice, particularly because I took over with about 3 weeks left before the first set of conferences, and I could gt to know the kids without having to figure out exactly how many colors and shapes they knew right away.

We had a list of skills, did a reporting like Morah does, with "emerging" "in progress" or "mastered" (I think those were ours), with space for comments and a chance to write 2 goals or things the child would be working on.