Report Cards--How Many per Year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsC, Dec 22, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

We have always done 3 formal report cards each year for our students in kindergarten to grade 8--at the end of November, mid-March and end of June. Apparently this may be changed next year to only 2 formal report cards--end of January and end of June--and one informal progress report in November. I'm curious--how often do you issue formal report cards to your students?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 22, 2009

We do three... November, April or March and then June.

As wonderful as it would be to only have to write two sets of report cards, I'm not sure that I'd be comfortable with just two report periods.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

I'm not sure either, dfleming. I guess the Ministry is considering it and will make an announcement about it in the next couple of weeks. Reporting has been an issue raised throughout the last couple of contract negotiations (not the fact of reporting, but the time involved). If it is adopted, Ontario will be the only province only doing 2 reports. I guess much hinges on the content of the "informal" interim report in November.

5. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Dec 22, 2009

We use a nine week grading period in elementary, so send home 4 report cards.
    The middle and high schools use a six week grading period, so they send home six report cards.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 22, 2009

4, nov, jan, march, june

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 22, 2009

We do 4 report cards (November, January, April, and June) and 4 progress reports (3 weeks before report cards are written).

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2009

Same here.

9. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Dec 22, 2009

4 Report Cards (quarters)
    4 Interims

8 reports to parents :dizzy:

10. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Dec 22, 2009

I think they should keep the three report cards, but reduce the subject comments to one or two lines like in the high schools and focus more on learning skills for each teacher who teaches the child. Often, especially in 7/8, students have several teachers but only the homeroom teacher fills out the learning skills section (which could vary from teacher to teacher). IMO, learning skills are much more important than actual subject content and can give parents a much clearer picture of how students are doing. Many times, I have struggled as a subject (but not homeroom) teacher to create my comments to let parents know what's going on while staying within the prescribed parameter for comments, focusing only on the subject and how they are doing with that curriculum, when the real problem has been their work habits in the class.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

I agree completely, CanadianTeacher. I wish our reports could be shorter, more focussed and contain less of the jargon that they do now. As a parent, the first place I look is the Learning Skills.

12. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Dec 22, 2009

We do 4 as well, one at each quarter.... quarter grades are progress reports, while January and June are final semester grades.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

Three: one at Christmas, one at Easter, and one at June.

The middle of the first 2 trimesters also include a formal progress report-- but it's a letter grade instead of a numeric one.

After each of those assessments, we hold a night of Parent-Student-Teacher conferences to meet with any students who need or want one.

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 22, 2009

4 report cards and 4 interim's that don't show grade but show if student is Outstanding, Passing, Danger of Failing or Failing plus a comment. We work on a block schedule so there's two report cards for each term. Final grade is based on 40% first marking period, 40% second marking period and 20% final exam.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2009

We do 6 formal reports cards. We also do 6 formal progress reports per year. We are on a six weeks grading period.

16. monsieurteacher

Dec 22, 2009

Here, they're fighting for "turnaround days" for teachers to work on report cards in elementary. I don't like the idea of decreasing the amount of comments that we write, but I would like to have more time to write them. Elementary home reports take forEVER here... I like to ensure that they are all useful, and give a good explanation of how each child could continue to grow as a student... but in order to do this, teachers really need time outside of the school day to do it.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

I agree, time is really the issue and I think that is where this whole thing originated. For the past several years we have had one "professional day" each year that we can book to use for report cards. One day/year, though, is less than a drop in the bucket.

18. monsieurteacher

Dec 22, 2009

One day/year is better than we get!

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2009

True...we have been lucky.

20. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Dec 22, 2009

I'm not sure how it is in NB, but here in Ontario there are extensive comments that need focus on the curriculum in a subject rather than the student's progress based on how they approach their learning. As a parent, I never read those subject comments as they don't tell me anything about MY child. It's just jibberish about what they learned and whether he learned it very well, well, not so well or badly. The mark can tell me that without all the words. I'd rather know what processes my kids are using to take in what they learn, which will likely be the same in each class, or similar.

21. monsieurteacher

Dec 22, 2009

Here, the report cards are not to supposed to be written in the form of "Jimmy learned A, B, C and D in Math class, and A, B, C and D in Language Arts" It should be specifically linked to the student, as opposed to what the student has learned.

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 22, 2009

Us too, except progress reports are 4 weeks before report cards. The high school has 6 report cards (3 per semester) because they feel like parents really only see grades on report cards at that age and aren't seeing as much daily graded work to keep up with their kids' grades.

23. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Dec 22, 2009

One a month.
    I kid you not.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2009

Our students get four formal report cards per year, but they get official grade reports every three weeks. Plus, parents can get student grades online 24/7.

25. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Dec 23, 2009

6 formal report cards and 6 informal progress reports. We are on a 6 weeks grading period. We don't get an official day off to do grades, but normally the day grades are due, it's tough to get a VCR/ DVD player from the library because they've all been checked out. I think very little gets taught the day grades are due.

26. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Dec 27, 2009

We do six one at the end of each six weeks. Then they also get progress reports three weeks into each of the six weeks.

27. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 27, 2009

Our report cards and progress reports are all done on our own time. We do have ample prep periods, but it can't be done just at school. My director would have a fit if we were working on report cards during instructional time and, most likely, fire that teacher.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 27, 2009

We do 4-one for each quarter. Interim reports are due every 5 weeks.

29. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2009

Ditto...except May

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2009

We also do 4 each year (Nov., Jan/Feb, April, and June). Parent notifications (progress reports) go out mid-marking period if there is an issue with the child.

31. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 29, 2009

Same, we also are given a half day before they are due.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2009

Grades K-2: 3 times per year
    Grades 3 and up: 4 times per year

33. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

Interestingly, we don't write report cards. We have two conferences each year and write a very detailed narrative letter to the family at the end of the year.

We do assessments but don't boil it down to a grade, if you know what I mean.

34. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

In grades k-5: 3 report cards per year
    In grades 6-8: 3 report cards & 3 midterm reports per year