Report Card

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by DanteLover, Feb 26, 2015.

1. DanteLover

DanteLover Rookie

Feb 26, 2015

I'm curious about something...

So, our second trimester ends tomorrow. I work at a middle school, 7th grade. Is it wrong to have a two week grace period prior to the end of the trimester for students to turn in missing work? Meaning, the last assignment in my gradebook is for 2/11.

I collect work in weekly packets that are due on Friday. The last two weeks of assignments I did not enter into the gradebook, but they will go on third trimester.

Is this wrong to do? The reason I do it is so students who are either absent or do not finish the work on time, have the opportunity to turn it in late. I'm sure this is enabling them to a certain degree, but admin pushes us to accept late work. I'm also on probation, so I do it.

I'm just wondering what your practices, thoughts, etc are. Is there even a set cut off date? Or is it up to the teacher?

3. msleep

msleep Rookie

Feb 27, 2015

A grade is supposed to reflect their knowledge of the standards. If you do not accept the work then this will create a grade that is not reflected of knowledge but of whether they turned in the work.