Report Card Time...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sundrop, Oct 25, 2008.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 25, 2008

I spent several hours at school this morning (Saturday) working on report cards. Our report cards are on the school network but aren't accessible on the internet, so you have to be at school to work on them. We don't get any extra time to work on our reports other than our prep time, and I find it is very hard to get much accomplished at those times. Do you get work time set aside to work on report cards? Are your report cards computerized and accessible from school? from home? Do you spend a lot of your own time working on them outside of the school day?

Report cards are a very good way to communicate to parents how a student is doing academically. It is worth all of the work, but I wish we had paid work time to get some of them done. Just curious what works or doesn't work for you.

3. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I suppose we could use our plan time for report cards but I never seem to really "get" my plan time, between planning, last minute meeting and such. I do mine at home or go in early. I can access them from home (as well as everything on my school computer and desktop). We don't get any extra time and we're not allowed to take comp time for our hours worked.

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 25, 2008

Ours are on our network at school but I was able to put them on a flash drive, bring them home, and fill them out this morning. It took me a couple hours but I still need to go in and add attendance information. Then I have to save them back to the network.

I knew I wouldn't have the time to get them done at school. I am sorry they don't give you time for that.

One thing that I am glad about is that we cannot free write our comments. At first I didn't like this but now I do. I just choose appropriate responses and paste them in.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 25, 2008

Other than lunch and recess, we don't get a prep period.

No extra pay either.

The good news is that I can access the report card on computer. I just finished them this morning.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2008

Our report cards are available on-line for us to work on. When I had a homeroom, I estimate that it took 30-35 hours to complete my report cards (a class of 27-30) each term. Some teachers could do them more quickly, but my time spent was about average. This time included finalizing marks, entering them and writing the anecdotal comments for each subject area for each student. We get no additional time (apart from our regular 200 minutes prep time/week) to work on them. (The lucky teachers who have me as the special ed support in their rooms will each get a couple of periods from me, however--I'll teach the whole class and let them hide out at a computer in my room!)

7. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 26, 2008

Well, it sounds as though I shouldn't be whining since most of you are in the same boat as I. MrsC it is very kind of you to give your co-workers time to work on their report cards. I hope they really appreciate you. :thumb:

8. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Oct 26, 2008

Our entire grading system is computerized and we are expected to post grades online for parents once a week. We are not given any extra time other than our normal prep times, but we do have access at home. The program automatically averages grades and the office "pulls" them from the computer once we have them complete. So I only spend about an hour at the most finalizing report cards.

9. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 26, 2008

My prep time is 3 15 minute segments sprinkled throughout the day. I usually use them to pee.

Our grading system and lesson plans all must be done online. It is great because I can do it from home - I'm much faster on my computer than on the dumb laptop the school gives us. Plus, I can do it in my jammies.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 26, 2008

I was so irritated on Friday! We had a work day, like we always do at the end of the quarter, and everyone just assumed we were working on grades. Nope! Stupid meetings all day-and it was about the same exact thing we did at the beginning of the year! So, now I have worked all freakin' day today on mine. Grrr.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2008

Our gradebook is accessible over the internet. We get a date that our grades have to be in by. Someone (I don't know who) pulls the grades and prints the report cards. There is no comment section on the report card, so I don't have to do any work that I woulddn't normally do by putting the grades into the gradebook.

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 27, 2008

The school system I sub for did report cards 2 weeks ago.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 27, 2008

Ugh. We do them by hand. But I'm huge into conferencing with the kids about their grades, so today and tomorrow are set aside for that. We got through citizenship grades and reading grades today. Tomorrow we will do writing, spelling, math and science. Everyone gets an A in social studies. It's very labor intensive, as they have to fill out reflection forms on each grade they give themselves, but it's all part of my belief in portfolios and self-assessment. I don't want kids to think teachers just randomly give grades, and third grade isn't a year that you rack up math test grades that get averaged. So they need to look at their work, evaluate it for effort and content, and do some serious thinking on why they think they should get such-and-such grade.

14. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 27, 2008

I can work on my grades at home but I make a point to do grades at school if at all possible. I record grades all week and then post grades for parent viewing Friday. I also send papers home on Friday too that way parents can make comparisons. Parents know from one week to the next what their kids have so there aren't any surprises when report cards go home.