Report Card Grades

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Guest, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 25, 2002

Hi!

I am a new teacher in a self contained autistic class. I have no idea how to give report card grades for my students. We keep data on their goals, but how do I give a grade? Has anyone else been in this position? If so, what is you grading system?

Thank you!

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Nov 26, 2002

How old are your students? They may just have IEP progress reports, ie updates on how they are meeting their goals presented in a computerized IEP format.

I'm assuming you are curious about how this is done in other places, and I'm sure teachers who visit this site could expose you to lots of different methods. But I do suggest that you speak to your principal or at least a veteran teacher in your school immediately. Assesment is an extremely important part of your job and very closely monitored by various school and government agencies (especially in special ed) and this is not an area in which you can do your own thing. I'm sure there are very specific, set procedures that must be followed- I encourage you to find someone in your school to help you navigate your school's system's requirements right away.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 26, 2002

Thanks for replying. My students are 12-14 years old and they all have IEPs. We work on their goals everyday, and graph the data in their books.

My school(public) does have a specific procedure based on class participation, homework, test, quizzes,etc. My class works on goals such as intiating eye contact or conversing with a peer. The criteria for mastery is scoring 90% for 2 consecutive days. The problem is that the report cards are for Language Arts, History. Math, and Science. There is nothing for "Two Step Commands" or "Eye Contact."

The parents of my students know the goals that we are working on because I write home in the communication books daily.

5. debbieb

debbieb Rookie

Nov 26, 2002

I do not use the traditional report cards. Instead I use my actual goal sheets as their report cards. For example if the goal is John Doe will use a social greeting with one familiar adult in a school setting with 100% accuracy one day per week. And it is December I might update his IEP to reflect that he does it every other week then I would write 50% accuracy. Debbie

6. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Nov 26, 2002

I am familiar with a system similar to debbieb's. Severely disabled students such as those with autism should NOT be using gen ed formatted report cards with subject matter on them. Are you positive that this is the form you must use? If so, you must take grades in each subject matter as evidence of learning. You cannot give a letter grade in math when you are teaching eye contact. If they are making you grade in math, then unfortunately, you have no choice but to change some of the content you teach. Are you using a gen ed curriuclum in addition to IEP goals? Spec ed kids are supposed to be evaluated on their progress in individualized goals, not curricular goals. Exactly what kinds of tests and quizzes are they talking about? Homework? I worked with non-verbal autistic children so I have a hard time picturing giving a test and weighting it for a report card grade! I can't believe this was not addressed with new teachers in your school system! There could be serious legal repercussions if a teacher is forced to give a grade with no records correlating with those grades. Again, I would take this issue to an administrator ASAP.