Report Card Grades in K

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by love2teachk, Aug 9, 2008.

?

How do you do letter grades in Kindergarten

1. S N U (satisfactory, needs improvement, unsatisfactory)

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. standards based checklist

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Letter grades A-F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I don't even know where to begin. I have taught full day K in a year round school in southern VA-this will be my 5th year. Last year, we got a survey that asked if we felt the current grading system of S, N and U was appropriate. All the K teachers I have talked to said they responded No, it isn't informative to parents, and we would prefer more of a checklist with standards, and letting parents know which stnadards were mastered and which were progressing, etc. Well, apparently, the dislike of SN and U meant we wanted letter grades, and we were informed last week that ALL kids in grades K-12 would get A-F letter grades on their report card. This is wrong on so many levels-not helpful/informative, self esteem issue, develomentally inappropriate. We have already met with the powers that be in the super. office to discuss our concerns and we were met with strong resistance. All this because ONE person asked (probably a first or second grade teacher, because they also used SN and U), and a survey wasn't asked correctly.

I do have a question among this rant (which I tried to shorten as much as possible) is does ANYONE grade A-F, HOW do you determine what grades are given (we don't give "tests", almost everything is one on one) and how is this recieved by your parents?

Note- we already do a mini checklist of what was assessed that nine weeks, but its teacher made in our school only and we do plan on continue doing it this year. We'd like a standards based one for the year though.

My other question is, if you don't do A-F, how do you grade, and do you think it is appropriate and effective at communicating how the student is doing to the parents.

thanks in advance.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2008

We write out an 11 page progress report for each child in our space. Granted, we only do progress reports twice a year (November and late April) but parents find them very informative and it eliminates the need to compare the kids with each other. It's just a statement of each child's progress.

The form is a combination of checking off skills with room to write in comments and little bits of what the child is currently doing.

I've been using them for 20 years and I love them.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 9, 2008

I'm in the opposite situation as yours love2teachK. Our report cards are standards based and we grade 1, 2, 3 as they progress, but our administration wants us to keep actual percentage grades (so we have 2 grade books) and send work home with those grades regularly because that's what the parents understand (according to them). We do give tests weekly, about 20 questions that incorporate what we are learning in all subject areas. Our kiddos take a standardized test in January so we have to prepare them for the filling in of bubbles anyway. We also do spelling tests and I will grade their workbook pages with "real" grades.

I don't agree with it, but it's what we're told to do. The sad thing is the kids really don't understand-even halfway through the year they will still ask-is a "B" good? And when it comes to filling out report cards with 1, 2, 3 sometimes I can look at a grade average and not really know what to mark. Isn't it sad the people who are deciding all these things don't actually have to deal with it themselves.

5. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Wow! A-F in kinder...that doesn't even sound right!!

We also grade 1, 2, 3 based on state standards. 1 is below end of year standards. 2 is approaching end of year. 3 is at end of year.

And we have the (N)eeds improvement, (S)atisfactory, and
    (E)xcellent for such things as social interaction and "citizenship."

Good luck this year! :)

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

I'm a parent of two kids who were in K last year. Believe me, an A-F report card would have cooked my goose! You are right to say it is inappropriate. My kids "report cards" showed progress on each state standard. Then the teacher wrote a short letter about how they were doing.

I would prefer a letter (which is how they do it in my new school) for the reasons the Montessori teacher above wrote.

7. spunkyteacher

spunkyteacher Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

We do mastered or not mastered on report cards. We have every letter on the alphabet, all color and number words, actually colors, and numbers, first name, last name, address, etc...you get the point. We either put a check if it is mastered or a "-" if isn't mastered yet.

8. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I use M, P and N (Mastery, partial-mastery, and non-mastery). Its mostly a "checklist," but I type out the standards (some i put together that fit) and then give the "grade" of M, P or N. I can email it to you if you'd like me to.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

We use a plus, check, and minus for our pre-k and kindergarten report cards. The plus is for mastery, the check is for making progress, and the minus is for "needs help".

10. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Aug 10, 2008

That would be great sbtellman! How do I get you my email address?

Thanks!

11. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

We use checks if the student cannot complete the standard (i.e. they get a check in the box if they cannot recognize numerals 0-10 in random order) then we add up the checks in the whole math section, language section, and reading section to determine whether they are E, S, N, or U. (It gets complicated here but we determine the number of checks possible and then figure out how many checks they could miss out of the total to still receive an 80% and then that number of checks means they get an N. Any more checks and they get a U. No checks, they get an E. (Only like one check and they get an S) And then E S N and U mean that they can meet the standards on their own, with minimal assistance, with assistance, or not at all. Does that make sense? I guess you have to see the report card etc to understand, but maybe it's clear as mud!

12. MissMaurie

MissMaurie Companion

Aug 10, 2008

We use 1, 2, or 3 based on a huge list of standards. It takes forever to do and I am not even sure if the parents understand it. We have to send home an explanation letter with every report card.

I am very shocked that Kinder would have A-F grades. That just seems so inappropriate to me. I think my parents would have had a meltdown if they ever were told their child had an F.