Report card comments

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Jenny G, May 25, 2007.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

May 25, 2007

Time to get those report cards done. Let's help each other out with some clever ways of saying those negative comments.

I need help with:

Your son is lazy. I have never seen a student more unmotivated to learn. Most days he will sit there and not even straighten the papers I have passed out, let alone put his name on the paper.

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 25, 2007

Or how do you politely say your daughter has no clue about anything at all. She just sits there all day looking into the air getting nothing done. Please can you take a hint that your child is ADD! Help me write a comment for this!

4. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

May 25, 2007

Or how can you say that your child has gone from bad to worse and it would seem s/he knows less now than s/he did in June?

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 25, 2007

I would like to see X take a more active role in his own learning. Education is not a spectator sport!

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 25, 2007

I've got one those those. But while she is sitting she sometimes is doing something........ gross. Just think hands under the table. :eek:

7. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

May 26, 2007

I just found a pretty good website for report card comments:

www.teachnet.com/how-to/endofyear/personalcomments061400.html

But I still want comments that are geared towards the last report card - more of a comment culmination.

Also, do most of you offer suggestions on the final report card? For example, if a kid is very low in comprehension, might I write:

X needs to increase her comprehension in reading. The following things might help improve her comprehension:

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 26, 2007

Your daughter is well on her way to becoming a Queen Bee. She has turned out to be quite a nasty girl toward many of those she deems "unworthy" and is well on her way to being the biggest snot I have ever taught at any grade level. I take heart in knowing that you will get your comeuppance when she reaches adolesence.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 26, 2007

This could have been on ten of my report cards a few years back. They are now entering high school and it's starting to get really ugly- with the cops involved in brawls and terroristic threats.

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 26, 2007

MissKirby mine is just like that too! I actually had to call mom in and explain this to her. You wouldn't even believe what the mom said about it! I can't even explain it on here!!!

11. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 26, 2007

XYZ needs constant review in order to aid his/her retention abilities. As summer nears, some tips for helping her continue to make progress in learning: use flashcards to review vocabulary/abc/colors/shapes/math facts, ask questions after stories, encourage your child to write his/her thoughts about summer activities.

12. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 26, 2007

While your daughter does work well with several classmates, but needs to be encouraged to further develop good sportmanship/cooperation skills.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

14. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 26, 2007

I am concerned about _________'s difficulty focusing during instruction as well as completing independent work.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 27, 2007

Here's one I used last term...the student is in grade 7.

______continues to show very little interest in his learning. He continues to require constant monitoring to ensure beginning work, remaining on
    task, and completing and handing in daily work and assignments. _______'s lack of respect for the routines and rules of the school and the ideas of others continues to cause him some difficulties with his peers and teachers. It is imperative that _____ arrive on time for each class, as his frequent late arrivals after lunch prevent him from beginning work promptly and disrupt the learning of those around him.

16. grade1teacher

grade1teacher Companion

May 27, 2007

I am by no means an expert on report cards. However I do have question regarding your comment. While it certainly seems very specific to that child, and conveys an urgent message to the severity of the situation (both very important when writing comments)... I wonder - do parents respond positively when there is no positive statement about the child in the comment?
    Is there a happy medium between sugar coating and only stating what is lacking in the child's performance? Maybe I am naive and this is a situation where desperate times call for desperate measures... I don't know. What does everyone else think?

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 27, 2007

This case is definitely "desperate measures"...I've been writing similar comments for this student since grade 5 (he's now in grade 7). None of what I stated was news to the parents--they've heard it in several face-to-face meetings with homeroom teacher, myself (Special Ed teacher) and administration for a couple of years. This was not the only comment on the report card--it is the summary of this student's learning skills for the term. Each subject area is reported on separately with comments as well as grades. As a general rule, yes, I am sure to include positive comments, and usually I only mention one or two areas that the student needs to focus on in order to improve...in this case, a hard line was required (unfortunately, it doesn't do much good, as his final report will read much the same). Sounds harsh, I know, (and it does break my heart that he cares so little), but it is an accurate picture of the student.

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 27, 2007

Unfortunately in some cases you just have to lay it on the line with the parents. Upfront and honest and no sugar coating.

19. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jun 1, 2007

Some of these are great. Some of them have words that the parents wouldn't understand. Apples don't fall far from the trees, and all that.

I wish we didn't have to be PC about it and could just lay it on the line.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 1, 2007

Our report cards don't have enough room for all of that! It's more of a general statement followed by a conference to discuss it if it is that urgent.

21. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2007

I agree.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand how these comments would be in any way helpful to the parents or to the child. To work on changing behavior, we have to define where they are, set a goal where they need to be and decide together on interventions that will help.

As for parents who don’t understand our terms, of course they don’t. I know I wouldn’t have before I completed my credential courses. But my children’s teachers always explained things to me in terms I could understand. These terms are specific to our profession. I don’t understand most legal, scientific, or medical terms; how can I expect someone to understand ours who isn’t in the field?

Grade1teacher brought up the question of the effect of making only negative comments. I teach 5th grade, and about 1/3 of my students' parents rejected my invitation to come to the first PTC. When I called them, they said, “Why should I come when I’m only going to hear negative things about my child?” Every year, they had only heard bad things. Think how that would feel. Some, since kindergarten! Their relationships with schools had become worse and worse each year, how sad!

I told them, “No, no, no! I have plenty of good things to say and I can’t wait to meet you because I’m so happy to tell you all the good things so and so has done! So and so is such a great kid.” Of course I let them know where we need to help the student. But it’s a matter of presentation.

Parenting is always an uncharted territory, each case is different, and sometimes what we perceive as parents not caring is simply that the parent doesn’t know what to do—they’ve exhausted their tools. They are worried about their kids and they need support, too.

As to how to make comments, I would only ask my administrator those questions, because what is acceptable to some is not to others.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2007

I assume, eduk8r, that you are referring to my report card comment in your post. Taken out of context, it is harsh--I'll be the first to admit that. A few things, however:
    -This is one small portion of the student's report card. On our Provincial Report Card all subject areas are reported on separately with a grade and a written comment (this takes up 1 and 2/3 pages of a 2 page report card); there were a few positive comments in these areas (in the few subjects where the student actually completed the work). At the end of the report card, we report on 9 Learning Skills (like Homework Completion, Goal Setting to Improve Work, Cooperation with Others, Initiative, Independent Work, etc.) The comment I posted above is the anecdotal statement which follows those; it basically explains the observable behaviours in the classroom which led to the grades the student was given in Learning Skills.
    - This comment was approved by my administration (again, all wouldn't, but we worked together to write this)
    - I would never make a comment like this "out of the blue"--it came only after many meetings with parent and student
    - As a professional, I need to be accurate in my reporting. This is an accurate reporting on this particular student.

23. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2007

No, Mrs C, I was not responding to your comments or anyone's in particular. Promise.