REPORT CARD COMMENTS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by puki14, May 13, 2014.

1. puki14

puki14 New Member

May 13, 2014

HI, i need some help with final report card comments! any ideas are welcome! Thank you

3. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

May 13, 2014

The website has a nice "tips" section where a number of teachers have offered suggestions on comments for report cards.

Checking here+ might help you.

4. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 13, 2014

We generally don't leave report card comments...the program we use only allows 15 or so characters, so there's just not enough space.
    However, on the first program we used, I used to just type something like, "I was so happy to have so-and-so in class, and I hope you have a great summer."

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 14, 2014

6. teach1

teach1 Companion

May 14, 2014

My old school required us to write quite a bit for each student. For the academic section, I tried to always start off by complimenting a natural strength. Then, I would talk about a weaker area, and would give a recommendation for what the student could do over the summer to improve. I ended with an area that the student improved in throughout the school year and was now doing very well in (i.e. a strength, but maybe not a "natural" strength). I always included specific examples.

Doing comments this way helped me organize my thoughts, although I did stray from the format for certain students :)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2014

We need to write anecdotal comments for each subject area, as well as for the student's learning skills. Each comment is expected to contain information about what was learned, evidence or specific examples, strengths and next steps.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 14, 2014

I've seen everything from "Have a nice summer" to a full paragraph summarizing each student's progress for the school year.

The thing that irritates me is when I see teachers who write the same generic comment on every single report card: "So-and-so is progressing this quarter."

As a teacher, I always wrote a detailed and thoughtful comment on each report card.

9. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

May 14, 2014

Very few teachers in my school add comments, but I've found both my students and parents appreciate even the most basic of "nice kid." Maybe it's because few comment at all, but I have kids or parents stop by and tell me they "read that comment on the report card," which I interpret as, "thanks for caring enough to comment."