replacing retiring paraprofessional

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by chava_1908, Aug 4, 2005.

1. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

In October I will be replacing a retiring paraeducator, please advise me on whether or not to do things like the old para did or do I do things my way?
    ANY suggestions on how to make the teacher realize that I'm an excellent replacement? Thanks! :angel:

3. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Aug 5, 2005

i feel for you. i replaced a beloved teacher this past year, and it was tough. i don't know if it's a matter of "her way" versus "your way", but my advice would be to go in with an open mind, be VERY observant, and realize that sometimes when people do a job for a long time, they get stuck in a pattern of doing without evaluating if their methods are really the best way of dealing with a situation. your fresh perspective is a valuable asset. so, think about what she was doing, discuss with the teacher what the teacher's goals are and the student's needs are, and together the two of you can brainstorm about the best way to meet those goals and needs. most likely it will be a mixture of what your predecessor did and your own contributions to the position. good luck!

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 5, 2005

Do as your advisor and teacher suggest. It's not your way or the retired Para. It is working with your advisor and classroom teacher. ---as you all meet the IEP requirements.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2005

Feel out the situation first, and see what would be best for the kids. Ask how the retired para accomplished a lot of goals in working with the students. Looking over the students' files will perhaps give you an idea of how to work with the students.

Last year, our school lost a para to retirement, and in my opinion, it was very difficult. The whole school knew her very well and felt she was like a grandmother to them. Only knowing her a half a year, I was very sad myself... but over time the kids got used to the new para and she is doing a fine job.