Repetitive Behavior

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Sep 3, 2012.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Sep 3, 2012

I have 25 computers in my classroom and in one of my class periods, a couple of kids keep making beeping sounds with the monitor and it's really causing distraction. The thing is I couldn't figure out who they are because whenever I walk around, the beeping stops and then later on when I lecture, it continues. One way I thought I can fix the problem is by locking the sound device from the control panel of each computer in the classroom but it looks like teachers can't have access to it. :( It gets really annoying and I don't know how to stop the distraction, any advice? :(

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 3, 2012

When the next class starts, have a brief, candid conversation with your students about the beeping sounds and why it is a problem. If it happens again, invite your students to write down privately on a piece of paper the person(s) who is doing it; however, say in a positive tone that you expect it to no longer be an issue because you know they can handle themselves like young adults. (Holding them to that expectation sometimes works on students with behavior issues.)

4. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Sep 3, 2012

Ugh, this is a HUGE annoyance to me as well. I think they activate/deactivate sticky keys and that's what makes the noise? Last year, I got so fed up that I said for every beep sound I hear, the entire class is held back 5 minutes. Unfair? Sure, but I tried warnings, I tried locating the individual students....nothing worked. When I raised the stakes and made the one or two students who were doing it responsible for everyone, they stopped.

5. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Sep 4, 2012

jwteacher, that can be a good idea :)

Bumble B, when you said the entire class is held back, do you mean you don't start class right away? What do you have them do while they wait? I see that you teach 8th graders, I teach high school students. Can you believe this? Highschool students(sophomores, juniors, and seniors) who find it fun making beeping sounds?! :eek:

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2012

Is there a computer tech person at your school who could disable the sound cards for you?

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 4, 2012

Is there somewhere you can lecture from that you can see the computers? Possibly lecturing from the back of the room so you can see everyone?

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 4, 2012

I think this is a great idea. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to work on computers. Using technology is a privilege. One that you may have to take away if they continue to act immature.

Learning computers from a book would probably be intensely uninteresting.

9. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Rookie

Sep 4, 2012

One of my school's computer teacher's went so far as to remove the internal speakers from the computers. He just couldn't take it anymore, so that fixed it once and for all. I say it's a good fix. I will say, those sticky keys noises are quite amusing, and to a high-schooler, hilarious when the teacher can't tell who is making them.

10. Jlaney22

Jlaney22 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

Whenever there is a problem involving a large number of students misbehaving, or not knowing which are the culprits (with bigger disturbances)- holding the class back a few minutes after the bell rings always seemed to work for me. Make it clear at the beginning you will be doing this if the behavior happens again. Make it known that you will not be issuing them passes to their next classes or excusing them from their tardy they will probably receive from the next class.

I always say if you take up 2 minutes of my time doing whatever, I will take 2 minutes of your time after the class ends :)

I also think you should talk to your tech department about this issue and see if they can disable the sound. At my school, the computers only have sound if the students have headphones. See if this is a possibility for you.

Good luck!