Renting a Bus! So expensive...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GGarcia, Sep 16, 2013.

1. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Sep 16, 2013

I just got the quotes from our local charter bus company to rent the bus for one day. One of my classes/clubs wants to go on a day trip. Well, it's over $1,000. We are fundraising, but I just don't see how it's possible. I feel bad, my kids are from a poor, rural area and were so excited to visit the nearby city. I'm worried a school bus would break down on the way, as they have in the past. And many of student's parents don't have cars. What do you suggest? I will post something on donors choose, but I don't know if I will get that big of a project funded. Any suggestions?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2013

Does the school have an activity bus? Like the ones the sports teams use?

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 16, 2013

How long of a day is it? I know that when we schedule our trips we make sure it is less then 4 hours. Apparently it goes up quite a bit if it is longer then that. How much is a school bus?

Start fundraising now and plan your trip for spring.

5. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Sep 16, 2013

We are not allowed to use a school bus, because of the drive. It would take us about 2 hours to get there and we would be gone the whole day. There are no activity buses available. I just had no idea it would be that much money. I asked for the smaller bus that only holds about 30 people and it was still expensive.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 16, 2013

That's the price around here, too, for when we go into NYC. I have found that the prices vary depending on the time of year your trip is scheduled. Several years ago we started a field trip fund for students at my school who couldn't afford trips like these.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2013

What about other schools in the district? They don't have more reliable buses you could use?

8. GGarcia

GGarcia Rookie

Sep 16, 2013

My district does not provide buses to students. They have to take the local bus or get parent transportation. We are in somewhat of a rural area and the district could not afford to keep up the buses.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 16, 2013

If any of the churches in your area is big enough to have buses for youth events and the like, might you work out a deal there?

10. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 16, 2013

Have a yard sale. It sounds silly, but it works.
    Have all the students put together a yard sale booth from stuff from their house. Do it in the high school parking lot, or some such. They label what their stuff is worth, and then people pick it up, like a grocery store and pay for it to adult advisers on their way out. So it's a massive-multi family yard sale with all the money going to the same place.
    Several of the high school organizations at my high school did this and each group made upwards of $10,000 every time it happened.