rental car warning

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by yarnwoman, Jul 12, 2012.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 12, 2012

for anyone that rents a car make sure that you check under the seats, in the glove box and in the trunk before leaving the rental place!!!
    Last night my daughters boyfriend (21yrs old) rented a car so they could go to comic con to volunteer today. I did not go with him. He had never rented a car before and figured that the rental place had cleaned the car. He and my son (who went with him) got home and later that evening he and my daughter went out to dinner. While on the way to the restaurant they heard a noise in the trunk. They decided to wait and eat then check out the noise. So after dinner they open the trunk of the rental and inside discover the source of the noise - approximately 3 - 5 lbs of marijuana. They called me freaking out - my daughter was hysterical thinking they were going to be arrested. I told them to close the trunk, call the police and that I was on my way.

Cops were good and talked to the rental car place. Since it was after hours we went this morning to the rental place and they were given an up grade and will not be charged. Daughter's boyfriend has learned a valuable lesson about checking the car out completely when renting.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Wowza.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 12, 2012

Wow!
    I found a laptop in the trunk once. They told me to keep it!

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

And I was always worried about Bed Bugs.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 12, 2012

Wow! They could have made a fortune selling that at Comic-Con! Only joking, I'm glad they didn't get in trouble. I've never rented a car, but something like this scares me. Almost as much as bed bugs, now that it's been mentioned.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

OMG if it was the good stuff that was about $9,000.00 and $15,000.00, too bad the rental place didn't say keep THAT!!!! LOL

• it would have been a nice summertime job payoff for the kids:eek:
    • Heck you could have used is as supplemental income for the summer :rolleyes:
    • A down payment on that Escalade you wanted to by :unsure:
    • Shoes! you could have bought a mess of shoes:haha:
    • and don't forget the students in your classes you could bought school supplies :2up:
    • a down payment on the house in the foot hills :D
    • 60,000 rolls of Toilet paper @ the "99¢ only store":eek:
    • Costco, can you image what $15,000 would buy at Costco?:cool:
    • 116 iPods :whistle:
    • Time/life's whole library of music from classical to rap:clap:
    • a gift to your favorite Curmudgeon?:hugs:I feel the love

8. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

Well, that is a new one for me. I do a lot of traveling and never thought to check under the seats or glove compartment. I always conduct an exterior inspection so I am not charged for any damage.

I am renting a car next month. Maybe I will get lucky fiinding treasure!

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

It's always fun to call the police with a question about drugs! My husband's car was stolen last month, (thankfully it was recovered withing 48 hours), and when he got it home from the police impound, he discovered a crack pipe! We really thought the police would have checked it thoroughly...

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2012

Never thought to look under the seats. The trunk, yes, because we're putting luggage in. Glove compartment just checking things out.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

What? As in, immediately? That's super duper crappy if they didn't attempt to contact the owner as I assume it would be simple.

Anyhow...I second the "Wows!"

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 12, 2012

Wow- I can't believe that- I'd be so sad if I lost my laptop. Mostly because of the music that would cost lots to replace.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 12, 2012

Yikes! :eek: I'm glad nothing worse happened to them. Good heads up to us all. In my lifetime, my parents & I (parents mainly) have rented unteen cars, but there's a first for everything. I always check the glove compartment, but not really the other 2 places. Just think if the police happened to stop them for a minor violation & for some reason, wanted to check the car & found that. Well, hearing people say, "That's not mine" is the oldest excuse in the book for cops & I doubt the car rental place will be on the customer's side. All of a sudden one's good career is ruined. I sure hope nothing like that ever happens to any of us. By the way, in my area, you have to be 26 to rent cars...maybe they lowered the age requirement.

Speaking of this, my mom used to be worried about my career because my boyfriend used to be in airsoft & she was afraid that if a cop ever happened to stop us & found an airsoft gun in his car, that my career would be over.

That's horrendous of the rental company!

14. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 13, 2012

Ive never thought about checking under the seat.. i do normally check the glove box and trunk. Ive never found anything though. My sister and her husband and their 4 kids were on vacation to Disneyland, and while my sister was checking for bedbugs, she lifted the edge of the mattress and found 2 loaded guns! Luckily she found them before the kids got on the beds. The hotel comped her room and moved her to a different suite, but they wasted 2-3 hours because they had to talk to the police and everything- definitely not what she expected to find!

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2012

I would have freaked out as well. In the end though, this will end up as a proud momma story since your kids immediately thought of doing the right thing.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Can you imagine reaction of the owner of all that marijuana -- and his boss--when he discovered he had left it in the car???? It's not exactly like you can call and ask if anyone has turned it in.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Just an FYI - if you are stopped for a minor traffic violation, the police do not have the right to search your car.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Right. But if you were rear ended, it would be a logical move to open the trunk and check for damages, not imagining what you-- and the cop at the scene-- would find there!

19. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 13, 2012

It's a good idea to regularly back up your computer in case something happens to it. It's not uncommon for hard drives to die, etc.

20. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 13, 2012

That was our first thought and then the second was if it was a worker at the hertz place they would have our address. But DD's bf gave his college address.

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Oh, I agree with you there, but I was more responding to the poster who seemed to think the police can search a car without reasonable cause!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2012

I know, but I guess I shouldn't have said the words "minor violation". None of us know what kinds of strange circumstances will occur where our car may have to be searched.