Renewing my teaching license

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 14, 2008

I'm the only person at my preschool center with a teaching license. I'm trying for a public school job next year, but next semester, I would like to take a course at a community college that will count towards renewing my license. Does anybody know how to go about getting a course approved for renewal credit if you're not in a public school? Also, what kinds of courses have you taken that have really helped you improve as a teacher?

I'm almost finished with my masters in early childhood, so I do not want to take any child development stuff (I could probably teach that at this point, lol). I'm thinking either intro to Spanish so I can talk with ESL parents and kids or something on guidance/discipline or technology in the classroom.

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2008

I think it depends upon your state. Here in Ohio we have Local Professional Development Committees at each school and if you're not in a state chartered school, you have to take 2 graduate level classes for recertification. Doesn't really matter what they're in as long as they're related to education. I would check with your state's department of education, teacher certification department.