Renewal

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by allaragallagher, Feb 18, 2015.

1. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Feb 18, 2015

I'm just wondering if there is a certain time of year that a teacher usually finds out if she/he has been renewed for another year? What is the etiquette regarding asking about your status?

When I was student teaching, I saw teachers who were not being renewed find out around Thanksgiving. I'm a first year teacher and all my observations have been positive. I have no reason to think I won't be renewed, but I moved up here for this job. If they do not renew me, I want to be able to apply for positions that open up nearby. Can I ask someone or is that considered tacky?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2015

It really depends on the district. In my area, the union requires that renewals of tenured teachers be completed by the first couple of weeks in May. Teachers on annual contracts (anyone hired after July 2011) have to be told by the last hour of the last day of school before summer vacation.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

I believe it's in May in my district.

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Feb 18, 2015

I've had it earlier. They let you know in spring so they can fill the position ASAP. Also, the school may have passed out a form for you to complete about your plans/preferences for next year.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 18, 2015

I've seen it in early spring. I've also seen it on the last day of school (not cool IMO).

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2015

Where are you located? If you're in a public school with a union, there will probably be a mandatory deadline to provide notice one way or another. In CA, as far as I know, the deadline is March 15th, but please correct me if I'm wrong! However, if you are on a temporary (year-to-year) contract, I believe they don't technically have to give you notice at all, which is my situation :(

The rumors have definitely started to fly in my district, and people have started asking me if I know my situation for next year yet, which I don't. It drives me crazy when people ask (even though I know they're trying to be nice) because I am trying to do my best not to think about it. The reality is that I'm on a temporary contract and although I've gotten great evaluations and feedback, if the numbers aren't there to fill my classes, I might not have a job. It's frustrating working so hard and knowing you're still just disposable. I am crossing my fingers that they will give me a probationary (tenure-track) position for next year, but there is no guarantee.

It's a stressful time of year for new teachers...I'm trying to just focus on doing the best work I can and having a positive attitude each day without obsessing over the future, which is beyond my control.

8. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2015

This!
    I stressed about it for a while, knowing that numbers were changing in the district quite a bit (moving boundaries around), but then realized that the best I could do for myself and the kids (the most important part) was to put that out of my mind and give them 100% no matter what the outcome of my position ends up being. New teachers don't need to add on that extra stress ;)

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2015

This :yeahthat:. The worry will make you crazy and possibly have a negative impact on your performance, and it can't change the numbers, how many teachers they need, or much of anything else. Doing a bang up job, however, may make you a top candidate, so it just seems like the logical course of action. In my district, tenured teachers get their letters in April, but non-tenured teachers just get a contract that needs signing the beginning of June. Stressful? You bet. Can I change that? No. Unless you have real reason to believe that your position is in jeopardy, I would prefer to be the the optimistic, glass half full individual. Being somewhat of a realist, however, I always have an updated resume on hand, and I quietly request LOR's whenever the time is convenient, so that I am prepared in case my optimism is misplaced. Having current LOR's, especially, gathered during times of peace when no one is under duress may be the best advice I can offer. Sometimes, after the fact that you may not be returning becomes common knowledge, the offers dry up, and people start to keep you at arm's length. This can really slow down the process just when you need these things the most. I am a strong proponent of exchanging LOR's with colleagues when the time is calm - it just feels like money in the bank for a potential rainy day.

Try to stay calm, and simply state to the admin that you would prefer knowing sooner rather than later, should there be changes in your future, but you truly understand that they can't tell you what they, themselves, don't know. That comment, shared calmly, shows maturity.

10. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Feb 20, 2015

Thanks everyone. I'll try not to let it stress me out too much. Ignoring the rumor mill is hard though, unless I completely isolate myself for the next four months.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Feb 24, 2015

I didn't even know there was renewal...I just assume that if I get an effective score on my observations, I should be fine...unless I receive an excess letter (hopefully not!)

12. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2015

At least where I work, you can either recieve a continuing or non-continuing contract. The former is the one where you're basically set in terms of knowing your position will be there (barring RIF- reduction in force notices, though not as common the past few years compared to 5-6 years ago), whereas the latter is a one-year position that is often as such because it isn't guarenteed to be there next year due to numbers. A couple times throughout the year, they will changes some non-continuing to continuing, and then of course, each year they'll hire more or rehire non-continuing to other another non-continuing contract. Needless to say, while I'll keep it in mind, have some basic discussions about it, and will be making sure all my ducks are in a row in terms of determining the job for next year...it's out of my mind so the kids get 100%!

13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 27, 2015

Our staff has already submitted intent to return forms saying whether we'll be coming back. I don't know if that's the same as renewal, but I like to believe anyone who was at risk of being nonrenewed would at least have an idea it was possible.