Renewal of Marriage Vows

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Do you like the idea or see no point in it? Has anyone here done it? Who plans to do it?

One wedding ceremony is enough in my opinion. I don't need another one to express my love. After being married for a long time (20+ yrs), if my husband wanted to do it, I'd probably tell him that I'd rather go on a great vacation, but if he felt that stronlgy about it, I may go ahead w/ it or we can come up w/ a compromise. I'd never suggest it myself.

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

My friend just did a vow renewal after only 1 year of marriage...which at this point seems kind of silly.
    I think that most people do a renewal after some kind of stressful point in marriage, like a separation or something. Others just like the idea of re-committing.
    If you want to put the money into a vacation instead, I say to do a destination renewal!! Why not?? :)

4. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

We chose to renew our vows on our 10th anniversary. We did it for ourselves.. no one was there or needed to really know about it. We wore nice clothing and went in to the church on our anniversary and the priest was wearing "relaxed" clothing.. not the usual Catholic-Sunday garb. My husband and I took our 8 month old daughter as our witness. We wanted the priest to "re"bless my hubby's ring and bless the anniversary ring that he was giving me. To us, it was a very important time in our lives to reconnect and renew our vows to each other. Again, we did it for us.. no one else, no expense, no hoopla. On our 20th, I would love to renew in at a fun destination such as Hawaii. We'll see though...

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I think the renewal of vows at 25 or 50 years is a celebration for the couple to experience with their (usually) grown children. I attended my in-laws 50th year anniversary/renewal several years back. It was just them, their 4 sons, spouses and children, and a priest. The boys were very moved to see their parents exchange their vows. We all dressed in "Sunday Best", took a family photo, then celebrated with lunch.

In answer to your question, my 25th is next year and I have no plans to renew my vows. Maybe I'll see things differently at my
    50th. :lol:

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

This is funny because a few yrs ago by cousins 10th was coming & our 5th. So we were saying we should have a combined one because who couldn't use new towels & pans every 5 yrs...LOL!!!

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

Skip the wedding vows, we should just have wedding "renewal" showers every few years. I'd love new sheets and towels. :lol:

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

That's what we were talking about!!! Do the "renewal" quick & have a big party then gifts like that kind of house stuff you never really want to buy, but have to!!! LOL!!!:D

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I think we need to start a new tradition.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

Sounds good to me!!! That's why my cousin said we should've done a combo because all our same fam was there anyway!!! LOL!!! I guess that way we could trade presents!!!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I've never been invited to anyone renewing anything, but if I was, I don't know if I'd want to get them any gift for the house, etc. It would feel strange. I mean if they've been married for that long, they're probably richer than I am! LOL! I'm the single person here still, I'm the one who needs that stuff! They can get a nice card! :lol:

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

Well, you won't be invited to ours! LOL :lol:

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2009

And that's just fine w/ me! I'll be having a blast on vacation somewhere! LOL! :lol:

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

I'll bring towels to "regift"!!! LOL!!! :D

15. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

When I made a vow with my wife, I made the vow for life. I don't see the point in renewing a vow -- for me that feels like it takes something out of the initial vow. As if the initial vow has worn out or faded away and needs to be renewed.

Of course I don't mind what other couples do -- whatever keeps your marriage strong! :)

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2009

BT, I agree completely! And for those who do it, that's great.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I would want to do a renewal if one of us lost our original wedding rings, so we would both have rings we said our vows with. It wouldn't change the fact that we would respect our vows with replacement rings, but it would be a nice gesture.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

My in-laws just renewed at 50- it was a lovely family event. :love:

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

Perfect! That's how I want to do ours at our 20th. I guess I never realized that people put all kinds of money into them.

I think renewing vows is wonderful.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

We've thought about it. I would really like to do it for our 10 yr anni on the beach with just a few close family members and then go on a cruise afterwards.

21. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 30, 2009

If I got a new wedding ring, I'd want it re-blessed. During our wedding, the priest put our rings in the Bible and blessed them. I had considered getting a plain wedding band to wear to school, but it just wouldn't be the same. I don't think we would do a full vow renewal, but I'd want the blessing for a new ring.

22. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

My in-laws had a big renewal for their 25th (it was either a few months before our wedding or a few months after, I can't remember). I don't think we'll ever do it...I don't really enjoy being the center of attention. It was fine for our wedding day, but I don't want to do it again. I think our wedding went perfect, so I don't feel the need to do it again. Of course, we've only been married 7 years...maybe I'll change my mind in the future.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 1, 2009

I agree. I don't have a need to be in the spotlight ever really either. :)

24. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

My wife and I had a very intimate wedding ceremony because we aren't ones for the spotlight either. It worked well for us, and there's definitely no way we would use the excuse of a marriage renewal to get the spotlight. :)