renaissance/reformation center activities

Discussion in 'High School' started by Historyteaching, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

I might have asked this before..but I forget..

I would love to do some type of 'lab' or center activity with my classes for the renaissance/reformation chapter..actuallly I'd like to do it with a few of my units-but this is the first one.

Any ideas? These are 10th graders...maybe 3 or 4 'centers'

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

How about . .

*renaissance art - the use of math in creating art
    *bio station to include Da Vinci, Luther, Calvin
    *readings from "The Prince" - paragraph better to be loved or feared as a ruler
    *Compare Luther's 95 Thesis to edict from Council of Trent
    *Outcome of Council of Trent
    *Music to compare Catholic church music to Protestant Church music
    *connection of Printing Press to Protestant Reformation
    *divison between Luther and Calvin to create different protestant faiths
    *women in the renaissance

Hope this helps

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

Holy Cow..thanks..I've been trying to think of things, its like a writer's block..you have helped alot!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

You are welcome - :) You don't know how excited I get when I see social studies post :lol:

I think I have overloaded a few posters before with my ideas :blush: but when you love what you teach . . . .

6. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

absolutely..I guess I get so wrapped into following core content..that I can't get my creative juices flowing as much!

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

I do a twist on this idea with each unit, called an "Analyzing Images" day. I will print off anywhere from 5-10 different images (photos, paintings, drawings, whatever) and post them around the room. Students will then have to wander the room (sometimes in pairs) to determine: the topic of the image, the reason the image was created, any potential bias in the image, and then they write their own caption to the image.

I typically require they visit about half of the total number of pictures posted around the room. Then once everyone is done, we discuss the results and I go through each image (blown up via projection). This works very well, and for the Renn/Reformation.... wow. The potential to explore artwork is just tremendous.

8. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

the only thing I worry about is connecting it with the core content..I gotta make sure I do that...that is what stumps me at times. Thanks for the idea Ron!

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

Do you have standards for history regarding analzying primary sources or looking at history from mulitple points of view? I think Ron's activity would work for you if have something in your standards about "doing" history.

For example : Indiana state standards for World History

WH 9.2 Locate and analyze primary sources and secondary sources related to an event or issue of the past

WH 9.4 Explain issue and problems of the past by analyzing the interests and viewpoints of those involved

10. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Well I have these:

SS-HS-5.1.1
    Students will use a variety of tools (e.g., primary and secondary sources, data, artifacts) to analyze perceptions and perspectives (e.g., gender, race, region, ethnic group, nationality, age, economic status, religion, politics, geographic factors) of people and historical events in the modern world (1500 A.D. to present) and United States History (Reconstruction to present).

SS-HS-5.1.2
    Students will analyze how history is a series of connected events shaped by multiple cause and effect relationships, tying past to present.
    DOK 3

SS-HS-5.3.1
    Students will explain how humans began to rediscover the ideas of the Classical Age (e.g., humanism, developments in art and architecture, literature, political theories) and to question their place in the universe during the Renaissance and Reformation.

Think it will work? I'm starting my 3rd year..the core content still makes me a bit nervous although teaching the actual material and knowing what I'm talking about isn't a problem for me.

11. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Okay so like...showing a painting of Da Vinci and having students figure out why he painted it and what it is about?

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

For Reformation art, I usually stick with Mannerism and Baroque as reactionary art to the protestant movement. I have students analyze the message (think Catholic), esp. with mannerism (suffering of God and Jesus at whats happening to church). I also have them analyze the Northern vs Italian Renaissance artist for religious difference and geographical difference.

13. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Ah Okay I get it..to show the beginnings of the 'war' of catholic v protestant not only in how they believe but how it infiltrated all aspects and though each area had Ren/Ref..it was done a bit differently.

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

you gotta it :) Your kids will love it

15. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

It depends entirely on your purpose too. I'm a bit on an art geek, so I will often use a huge array of different works to signify major changes in art history that took place in this era, such as the "discovery" of perspective and different types of composition. The kids seem to get a kick out of finally realizing why many paintings look the way they do.

Obviously though, it all gets tied back into the content. "Who painted these?" - "Why were they painting?" - "Who were these new patrons of the arts?" - "How do these painters represent Rennissance ideals?" etc.

But, this sort of thing works great with anything. When I get to the modern era, I use photographs a lot. These seems to draw the kids in better than anything else..... for later units of course.

16. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Ya know..I did show them pictures/paintings last year..but I TOLD them what it was..so instead of telling this year.. have THEM figure it out..I was on the right track, just gave the info rather than turning it into a learning experience.

17. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

Is the Counter Reformation something you are planning to cover?

18. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

Yes we go into that as well...

19. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

I'm loving reading this tread and wish I got the later years of wh rather than the early years! You guys are awesome brainstormers!

20. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 23, 2009

aren't they though? they are helping me a ton to get the 'motor' running!

21. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

It's so amazing and the ideas are soooooo awesome! I'm just soaking in the information and trying to apply it to the ancient history!

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

One thing we talk alot about is Censorship in the Counter Reformation. So I compare it to the Censorship of Music after 9/11. I have kids listen to censored, but appropriate songs like Hit me with your best shot by Pat Benatar and describe why they think it was censored. I then have them write a short essay for hw comparing why the music was censored to the censorship of literature during the Counter Reformation.

23. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 27, 2009

Ooo...interesting Brendan!

24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 28, 2009

It really helps my CP kids understand why things are censored and it makes for a good writing assignment.

25. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

one fun thing I do with mine is I put posters on the ceilings and under tables and I have them paint just like Michaelangelo did on the Sistine Chapel ceilings.

26. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I was going to do that last year..and my principal told me that he liked the idea..but if I can't connect it to our core content then I couldn't do it.