Removing Crayon Scribbles?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MandaNicole01, Aug 5, 2008.

1. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

Last September I had my son and took off the rest of the year!:) I went to the school the last week of school to check on my room (my NEW room...this was the first year it was used...with NEW furniture) and it was a disaster! The sub, who was a qualified teacher, allowed the students to draw on the walls with marker and crayons, broke my personal cd player, and the list goes on and on. At one point she apologized for moving the furniture in the room...I explained she was the teacher, she could move it how she wanted...she said the set up of my tables wasn't working (I had two horseshoes facing each other)...she went on to say the kids just loved running on top of the tables and then jumping to the next set of tables! :eek: My aide said the year was horrible and my principal said she is super glad I'm coming back (she had my room repainted and bought me a new cd player)! :)

Yesterday I went to my newly painted room and my new furniture has crayon scribbles all over it! And she wrote with marker the names of the students on the cubbies! My husband is trying to sand that off. Any tips on getting the crayon scribbles off my bookshelves, side of my cubbies, etc.? It just makes me sick looking at it!:unsure:

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 5, 2008

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I cannot believe a teacher would let children run and jump on top of tables? Where was your principal when all this was happening?

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

Clearly, she wasn't all that qualified because any qualified teacher wouldn't let the students even get on top of the tables! She also wouldn't use a marker to mark on objects that are used year to year. Duh.

I also suggest trying the magic eraser!

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

WD-40 should take the crayon marks off.

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 6, 2008

There is a product you can buy at an automotive center (they also carry it at Lowe's and other hardware stores) called Goof-off. It will take just about anything off. Make sure the room is well-vented when you use it because it smells! Good luck!

7. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

They make a WD-40 pen for just that! :) When we moved into our current house I spent HOURS removing crayon/colored pencil/marker from many many many walls before I could paint. (it wouldn't stick to the crayon and the marker was so dark I was afraid it would show through) The WD-40 did an awesome job. The other thing I used was a cleaning spray called Greased Lightning.

8. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Like one of the pp said mr. clean magic eraser. If you need to, you can use it with a little alcohol- that will even take permanent marker off some surfaces. I am sorry you have to deal with this!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 6, 2008

Ace carries a product called Grafitti Remover. It took sharpie off my icebox that my 18 month old drew on.

Mr. Clean magic eraser is the best for crayon.

10. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Soft Scrub also takes crayon and marker off. Working at a daycare taught me the wonder of that product!

11. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

i too had my son at the end of the first semester and took the rest of the year off...although my sub doesn't sound as bad as yours she still didn't leave my room the way i would have left it. i had to clean/move/throw away many things....to clean i would say the magic eraser like someone else said! those things work magic and a little rubbing alcohol helps on really nasty stuff.

12. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Fantastic takes off crayons. Nail polish remover, hair spray (cheap type with a lot of alcohol in it), or Lysol spray takes off permanent marker. I also use Goo Gone spray gel (orange citrus scented) which works on any surface or fabric. Good Luck!

13. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

Thanks everyone!:) I went to school today and trashed so much stuff! I don't know how on earth a teacher can teach in that mess! :eek: Well, obviously, she didn't teach much. I've got my mr. clean magic eraser setting out to take tomorrow! Then I have plenty of other options if that doesn't work! Thanks again!:)

14. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

You could also try GOO Gone to take the crayon off. Nail polish remover will take off the marker. I also agree with the magic erasers :)

15. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

Well, she (the teacher) signed a contract and was hired for the year. Here in WV they do it based on senority...so the principal couldn't do much about it as far as getting rid of her.:eek: She was pink slipped at the end of the year because she was no longer needed. Then she applied for the 4th grade job where we just had a teacher retire and got the job...she was top of the list so my principal had to hire her! :( My principal was visibly upset. Maybe she'll be better with the older kids...I hope! But I don't know, kids are kids.

16. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Goo Gone. Both work wonders!

17. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 6, 2008

That makes sense...but since she WAS on a contract, she should have been subject to evaluation, right? Was she evaluated or observed at any point during the year? Or written up for gross negligence?!?

I would be FURIOUS if someone trashed my room like that. Did you document or take pictures of it?

18. alpha112378

alpha112378 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Did you try rubbing alcohol?

19. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

Crayola says to use WD-40. :)