Removing armed cops from schools?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jun 7, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 9, 2020

Wow, this is all pretty extreme. Are all of these things normal in Florida’s schools?

We don’t have any kind of security officer. Our campus is locked and visitors have to be buzzed in, but that’s really the only defense. We can lock our classroom doors to the hallway, but there are doors between classrooms too that can’t be locked, so if even one teacher had something unlocked, the intruder would be able to go through all rooms. That’s always worried me, but apparently it doesn’t worry anyone else. I’ve brought it up but it hasn’t been addressed in any way.

2. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

My school (7-12) has an SRO. It was the same officer for quite a while, then he retired and we had a series of replacements until everything went down and we closed. The SRO is actually our authorized restraint person, so when I had a student have a mental break, run into the hallway and start punching walls until he bled, it was the SRO who came to apply appropriate restraint in the interest of that student's safety. He'd also talk some sense into parents who'd minimize their child's grossly illegal behavior by explaining that the only reason their precious angel wasn't facing charges was because the school wasn't going to press the issue.

Personally, I feel better with an SRO around, but we also need to recognize that it's not always them preventing tragedies. Two years after I graduated, my high school had an active shooter/hostage incident. A kid brought a gun to school and took his health class hostage. Our SRO wasn't the one who kept things from going south, it was the gym teacher who had built a relationship with this child and could talk him down long enough to disarm him. We can't rely completely on SROs or get complacent about safety just because we have one.

CaliforniaRPCV and otterpop like this.
  3. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

Are there fire regulations to be concerned with? Blocking intruders coming in might block emergency exit of the doors aren't arranged well.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 9, 2020

No, it’s not a fire code issue. The doors could have locks easily. It just doesn’t bother anyone. It’s also the route admin takes during walk throughs, and I feel that they’d think it would be inconvenient to need to use a key.