Reminded how awful my first year was

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 26, 2010

My first year at my current school (2007-2008) was awful. It was my second year in my own classroom, but it was my first year teaching middle school ELA. The group of 5th graders we had that year had been known as a "tough" group since kindergarten and it was a really rough year. I was reminded of just how rough it was today...

At dimissal, one of my students' parents came up to me and said, "Someone needs to talk to those kids at the corner. They're taking up the whole sidewalk and wouldn't move over when I said 'excuse me.' Then when I tried to walk by them, one of them said, 'Why can't you just go around?."

I looked over and saw that it was a group of 7th graders. I walked over to them and addressed the whole group explaining that it was really disrespectful to speak to an adult that way and that they really need to be aware of the other people who are walking on the sidewalks. One boy stepped forward and tried to defend their actions, admitting that he was the one who was rude. As I was telling him that it was really unacceptable, he was turning around toward where the parent was walking to her car and yelling comments about how she should've walked around. :mad:

As awful as it sounds, I don't miss that child...or that group in general! It was truly a miserable year when I had them in my classrom and dealing with him today reminded me of just how bad it was on a daily basis.

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 26, 2010

We have a tough 3rd grade like this. I'm fearing for myself next year. Some kids just don't get the whole respect thing. Most do, but there are a few who are totally oblivious.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 26, 2010

And you can usually figure out why they just don't get it within 5 mins of meeting their parents...

5. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 26, 2010

exactly