Remind101 users - a question, please.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ted, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

Good to know, Amakaye...thanks. :)

2. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2013

My team started to use it last year and now most of our school uses it with a high degree of participation. We had our team leader send out the notices about homework each afternoon. He included a really short version of the HW assignments for all classes so parents only received 1 text.

3. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 19, 2013

We used Remind 101 last year for our 8th grad team and here are some thins I learned:

1. If kids have cute little signatures on their outgoing text messages, they need to turn that off when they sign up or it won't accept their code.
    2. If multiple teachers on a grade level team are using it, try to coordinate the texts. Until we controlled it, there were some kids getting 6-8 text reminders some nights and some if us were reminding them about the same things.
    3. Don't send the texts during the school day. We had some kids get their cellphone taken away during class but it turned out they were getting remind 101 texts from the teacher on prep.
    4. On the last day of school, send a text with instructions for unsubscribing from your class.

It's a great service and I plan on using it again in my new school.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 19, 2013

Adding to the above...

3 - you can designate what time the texts go out. So you can schedule the texts during your prep but they won't be sent until later. I often schedule some a week in advance.

4 - you can 'dump' the entire class in one click after the semester/year so parents/students do not have to unsubscribe. You can also remove individuals from your class in the event someone moves, drops the course, etc.

5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 19, 2013

Good advice from NumbersFan and 2ndTimeAround!

Thanks for letting us know about "dumping" a class at the year's end. I was wondering about that. :)

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

Can you set up the messages one day and have them sent another day?

7. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 10, 2013

Hi Rabbitt,

I believe you can schedule for ahead of time. :)

8. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 11, 2013

I am going to give this a try this year as well. Thanks to those who shared their sample parent letters! I hope that this will be a good addition to my class. :) I think my students will definitely love it. Maybe it will help those little ones who still manage to come in going, "There's a quiz today?? :dizzy:"

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 11, 2013

Magistra - I do make sure to tell my students that this is only a back-up. The first time I used Remind101 in my classes I had one particular block that assumed that I would always send them a reminder. They figured that if they didn't get a reminder, they didn't have to study and it was MY fault that they forgot. I quickly had to squash that idea but I purposefully do not send out reminders for everything now.

I want to be helpful, but I don't want to be a crutch.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 11, 2013

Yes, one of the greatest things about Remind101 is that you can schedule reminders in advance! I love that feature. I can send out reminders during my planning period and not worry about students getting disrupted while in someone else's class.

11. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 11, 2013

Good thoughts! I will make sure that they know that this is just a helpful extra that they shouldn't just always expect.