Remind.com

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 20, 2017

I've just started using this FREE app / site and love it enough to recommend it as something to explore and implement at the beginning of the school year. This site allows me to enter in my student rosters along with either a phone number or email address so I can reach them directly on their devices. I tested it with my summer school class yesterday and accidentally set off a bunch of their text notifications at the same time, which was amusing.

The other cool thing is I can create a separate list for parents to reach them when the students aren't responding to my messages or calls. This means I can text parents without using my own cell phone, and they can return my contact without having my personal information (this is HUGE).

Anyone else using it? Please note that it's free and I am not selling this as a product, just endorsing it as a time and sanity saver.

mandateaches likes this.
  3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jul 20, 2017

Google classroom essentially does this exact same thing, although some students turn off notifications which defeat the purpose (they claim they get too many notifications from all their teachers), but they can download the app and see all postings/announcements when they open the app and click on their class.

4. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 20, 2017

I've used Remind before and didn't like it. I prefer to only email parents back and field questions during school hours. With Remind, I remember being at the grocery store and I was getting questions and comments from parents and students. It seemed like the more I answered back, the quicker they were to contact me. All of my information is on my website and students have a hard copy of deadlines and information. I finally did figure out how to limit the hours after one student kept "texting" me "hi" through the app at 11 pm at night! I did like sending out the text blasts, but again, my school doesn't really have homework and students can't always study for our tests, so it was a moot point. I think it is a great app for some, but for me, I need to "turn off" school at the end of the day.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2017

I think every teacher at my school uses Remind. We also have one our principal uses to send us reminders! The two way contact is new, and I don't like responding through the app. I tell parents if they have a question to email me. I'm not going to be tied to my phone all night because I sent out a Remind about Picture Day.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 20, 2017

Ah. Because I don't have a smartphone (seriously, it has a slide-out keyboard), I made sure the messages go to my school email ONLY. If I decide to check that account on my own time, that's my choice.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

I use Remind and like it. I also have a Google Voice account with a phone number that I give parents. I use Remind for whole-class announcements and Google Voice for making individual contacts by phone call or text. Both ways allow me to keep my personal phone number private but allow me the convenience of contacting parents from home if I feel the need to. Google Voice even has an option on the app where I can mute notifications so that I don't get those late night or weekend texts and voicemails. The parents can still send them, but Google Voice won't send it through to me until I turn the app notifications back on. And, all the while, my iPhone still works as it should for my personal use.

8. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 20, 2017

You do have to be careful, though. My system forbids use of any app or site that does not have specific FERPA guidelines. Technically, we are not allowed to use Kahoot! In addition, even though the system uses Google Apps for Education, no personally-identifiable information can be stored within it since the data is stored elsewhere besides the school's servers. Our system keeps a database of acceptable edtech sites and apps.

9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 20, 2017

I've seen Google Voice, but don't know a whole lot about it. Is it a second number on an existing phone?

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

I regularly use Class Dojo for this... (I think it's more useful for elementary school).

It came in handy when I was out a lot this past year... I would read an e-mail from admin about something that parents needed to know about and could then quickly send a note via the app.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

Yes. In fact, you can use it over the computer or tablet, too. It's basically just a website or app. I use it by going through the app on my phone. So I created a number on the website, then downloaded the app, then connected my account (and the phone number I created) to the app on my phone. Now, anytime I call a parent, I open the app and go through there. That way I can still use my iPhone to make to call, but the parents can't see my personal number on caller ID. It only shows them my Google Voice number, which I can turn "off" with a single swipe in the app. Much more convenient than bein tied to my classroom landline, and it allows me to keep my personal number (and personal time) private!

12. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 20, 2017

Nice...I definitely will look that up. Always good to have a way to contact parents that doesn't involve giving out private information.

13. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 20, 2017

I love Remind! I just started using it last year (our P required everyone to use it for parent communication and we also use it as a staff for staff reminders)

I set the office hours on mine (from like 7-4) so if a parent sends me a message after 4, it sends something like "Remember this is after hours for Mrs.X". Our P included info about remind in our staff manual. Things like we aren't allowed to use it in the evenings and it's only for school events/reminders. If a parent says something like "Johnny said he's being bullied at school" then we have a standard reply of something like "Id love to talk with you about that. Please call me during office hours to schedule a conference".

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2017

I use Bloomz for the same purpose. I can make a student portfolio in Bloomz, have parents sign up for conferences, and it will translate for me so I switched from Remind. My P still uses Remind.

15. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 20, 2017

Technically yes...but more accurately described as a VOIP number accessed through an app. When you install it on your phone, it will ask you if you want your outgoing calls from your regular phone routed through Google V. Also, it is web-based, so you can access VMs and texts in your browser. GV will transcribe voice mails and forward them to your email as well.

16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2017

I probably should have mentioned all of those features. I just personally chose not use them, since the app on the phone meets my needs. Thanks for adding.

novaguy1968 likes this.
  17. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 2, 2017

Yo
    You can post assignments and students can add comments and even private messages on assignments. Students can download the app and it will send notifications to their phone (when announcements and assignments are posted) and email if they are setup with notifications.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 2, 2017

I've been using Remind since it was first mentioned on here (as Remind101) a few years ago.

I'm not understanding why some of you all are getting messages back from parents and students. When Remind first came out it was sold as a one way street. That's how I kept mine. I can send out messages, but not receive them. There is no need for anyone to be able to reach my by phone, ever. Students can email me with questions and I'll check my email once in the evening, between 6:30 and 8:30. Otherwise they can text each other for help. Any real issues can be addressed the next day in class.

Use these apps for YOUR benefit. Not to make life harder for you!

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 2, 2017

I teach elementary, so I don't message back and forth with students but, rather, parents. I agree with you that I don't want to give up my own personal time to respond to their messages. I set "office hours" on the app, so that parents know that I may not respond after 4:00 p.m. until the next day. I primarily message back and forth with parents during the school day, for example, when a student left her glasses at home and needed me to ask her mom to bring them to school, or when a parent wanted me to let me know that his son was staying home sick. It's just as easy, if not easier, to do this through Remind than to text or email the parents.

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 2, 2017

I set mine up specifically as a two-way communication to wean students who have my cell phone number off using it to text me with questions in the middle of the night. Thankfully, only a handful of kiddos do, and all but one has switched to Remind contact.

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2017

I'm looking at using Bloomz for the first time this school year. It looks like it has a lot of nice features.