Remind 101

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.SLS, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Nov 6, 2013

There was a thread about texting students reminders earlier so I thought I would share this.

I just started using Remind101 for my extra curricular group of kids and it's been awesome. It functions like a mass text message, but is done online or through a phone ap, so you never get your kids' numbers and they never get yours. They subscribe to the messages, and you can send out reminders or even pre-schedule them to be sent out automatically.

3. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Nov 6, 2013

My son's math teacher uses this. It is really nice because we set it up so my husband and I also receive the texts. My darling son can be a bit forgetful at times, but we noticed this year that that hasn't been a problem in math because now he really has no excuse for forgetting!

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2013

I love this ap.
    The only con is getting the same message from several teachers such as reminders for picture day or to wear red to support our troops.

5. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Nov 6, 2013

I am using this but I am thinking of switching to Edmodo next year. The reason being that Edmodo basically has a function similar to Remind101 but with more features including discussions and submitting work.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

I use both. I like Remind101 because the students receive the texts directly. They have the option to turn off notifications on Edmodo, so they might miss important announcements unless they make an effort to log in.

7. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Nov 6, 2013

Students can easily opt to turn off remind101. It comes down to them and whether they want to receive notifications.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

Right, but the entire and sole purpose of Remind101 is to get the texts. If a kid doesn't want the texts, he doesn't have to sign up at all. Edmodo has many other uses, the least of which is probably the notifications. You can have the full Edmodo experience without the notifications. I require my students to have Edmodo, but Remind101 is optional. I would never require them to opt-in to receive text messages that they might have to pay for.

9. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Nov 6, 2013

But doesn't Edmodo send out alerts through the app, and not via text message? Therefore you can require Edmodo and at the same time know they are getting notifications? I know they have to enable the notifications and can opt not to without you being able to do much. But then again Remind101 is optional anyways. So those who would opt for Remind101 would more than likely leave notifications on for Edmodo. Seems like a win for Edmodo. :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2013

You can get Edmodo notifications via text, email, and/or the app itself. The problem is that not every student has or is able to have the app on their phone due to size/space requirements, wifi availability for downloads and access, etc.

Many of my students don't like receiving the Edmodo notifications because 1) they have to use their data or have access to wifi in order to get to the notifications, and 2) Edmodo doesn't do a great job filtering the different types of notifications, so sometimes students get dozens of notifications for a single post (like every time someone replies, there's a notification, just like Facebook).

Remind101 is very light and doesn't require any data usage or wifi access other than being able to receive text messages. Most of my students prefer to receive important announcements via Remind101. Your students might be different.

11. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Nov 6, 2013

If Edmodo doesn't differentiate between notifications then ya I could see that being a problem. I have yet to implement it class wide. Thanks for the info.

12. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Nov 7, 2013

My son's math teacher only uses it for tests, projects, and presentations. He does not send daily assignments or school wide events.