Remembering names.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dalrose, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

I will be teaching first grade in the fall. What's the best way to learn the kid's names. I was thinking of making nametags for them to wear or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for any help!

3. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 7, 2005

Yes, that is a good way. I've used name tag necklaces - basically a tag with yarn around it. Also, work on saying their names a lot that first week. That helps me learn quickly.

4. danda

danda Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

I play the game where each child states his/her name followed by a food or animal that starts with the same letter of his/her first name (it's kind of like the "I'm going on vacation and I packed an apple, a boat, etc.") For example: "My name is Ann and I like apples." The next child would say "Her name is Ann and she likes apples. My name is Steven and I like sausages." The next would say "Her name is Ann and she likes apples. His name is Steven and he likes sausages. My name is Cindy and I like cookies." etc... By the time it gets back around to you - you will have to go through the whole class and what they like. (Don't forget to include what you like - you can always go by your last name for that) It's also a great game to play when you get a new student mid-year. It helps you to use word-picture associations when you see the students outside of class as well. I also try to answer a student's question by first stating his/her name. "Yes, Julie, it is almost time for lunch." You'll be surprised with how quickly you'll learn their names! Have fun!

5. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Aug 7, 2005

The first day, I put out precut nametag shapes, lenghts of yarn and markers. I have the kids design their own name tags. This gives me time to meet and greet kids and parents as they come in and also I can get an idea of the creativity level and problem solving abilities of my kids.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 7, 2005

Make and tape tri pod first names on tri pods and put in the upper corner of the desk. tri pods are 3 inches high and 8 inches long. You can buy them at teacher stores if you want. After you print their name on them, laminate them to make them more durable. Use the wide three inch shipping tape and tape the names on the upper corner of the desk. They stay there all year. Wonderful for you the first week or so and when you draw a blank, great for subs, Paras, guest and when you rearrange desk, just move desk, books and all. If they start messing with the name quickly hand out a couple M&Ms --two is all it takes and you have their attention. "Oh, I'm sorry you weren't following directions " Hand them some tape and tell them to fix it. After they fix it, they get a treat this time but not next time. It works and the tri pods stand up ---easy to see and students keep pencils in the center. That is great also. They aren't digging in their desk and pencil boxes looking for pencils.
    First day put a can of play dough on each desk for each student. You greet them and their parents and they are busy doing something they know how to do. You are free to greet the next student and wipe away the tears.
    Read Kissing Hand and do activities to go along with it. I have a paper sack puppet pattern for Chester the raccoon, but I will be gone until the 17 or 18th. I am willing to share to any who want a copy. Maybe you can check out the book from the public library if you don't have it.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2005

Take photos of the students (all in a certain spot) to compare their heights at the beginning and ending of the school year. You will learn their names, and this will serve as an outstanding keepsake for families as well.

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2005

I make name tags, and make sure I put my name on it too. I've had students forget who their teacher was or go shy and not talk. It helps other adults direct them when they need to.

9. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 8, 2005

When I was substituting years ago, I would make a little cheat sheet and write comments like: Becky, tallest girl, dimples. I just would list names and then write a unique characteristic about each student. Students could never figure out how I knew their names.

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 8, 2005

I read my kids a story about names-I forget the name (so sorry!), I think it's something like A my name is Annie, anyway, it goes through the alphabet, names and rhymes. I ordered it from Borders online. Then I put up sentence strips:
    ___(first letter of kid's name) my name is ______. (B my name is Beth)
    How do you do?
    I like _____(activity)
    How about you?
    Then the kids answer in sign language-yes, no, so-so.
    Helps me get to know the kids too.
    I also do a Me Bag where the kids put 5 small items in a paper lunch bag that help to describe themselves...they share, but they also have to bring in info on their name (what does it mean, why given it...)very interesting and it helps me remember who they are. We have Open House before school starts, so for the kids that show up, they can take this hwk assignment home and be ready on the first day. The others share later.

11. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 8, 2005

I have found that remembering names is easy if you ask yourself a question. I know it sounds wierd, but this is how I do it. When someone tells me thier name, lets just use the name Dan.
    Dan Says: "hi my name is Dan"
    I say hi back, but in my head I am saying:
    "What is his name? His name is Dan".
    I ask myself the question, and then repeat the answer. It never fails. The next time I see Dan, I know his name!
    [​IMG]

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 8, 2005

I do what dianejw does. When I work with students, whether I am in a class for a day, or long-term, I pay attention when I am taking attendance, to any distinguishing characteristics. A student may look or act like someone I already know, they may visually stand out in some way (red hair, very tall, etc....), they may be much quieter than everyone else, more helpful, or (God forbid) more rowdy. So I end up learning the names of those who stand out first. Throughout the day I try to plug in the others by searching for anything that I can associate with them. Having a good memory does help and like dianejw, the students are usually freaked out when I know their names before they have to tell me and they'll usually ask me: "How do you know my name? Was I bad for you before???" I love watching them from the corner of my eye, looking at each other and whispering: "How does she know my name????" :p