Remember When News Was Actually News

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Jun 8, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 8, 2011

I've become quite annoyed with the news medium for awhile now. I hate watching them "speculate" while covering a police chase or fire. Well, Tom, we can only speculate at this point, but maybe.... don't put the story on until you have all the facts! I remember taking Journalism classes in High School and the standards used to be much higher. Regular news outlets will even quote TMZ or the National Enquirer.

Last night this story was all over the news here: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8176278

There's a mass grave, at least a dozen bodies, most of them children. This morning the news is on saying--oops, it was a hoax, actually there was nothing there. Of course, I'm glad they didn't find anything--- but shouldn't we wait to report until you actually do find something. Is it just me, or is news not really even news anymore.

3. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

I hear ya. The news is nothing but a rag mag in my opinion nowadays (think The National Enquirer or The Star). They speculate and say allegedly until they are blue in the face. All they want is ratings. i now have to be careful and pick the news station that has the LESS amount of drama to it.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 8, 2011

I know which story you are referring to. The way it was presented on my stations was that this mass grave had already been found, not just that they had a tip from a caller.