Remember the 80s? Cartoons and more! Great site.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Peachyness, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2007

I loved the Smurfs!!!! Here are all of my favorites that I can remember right now. Tell me if they ring a bell:
    Ghost Writer (show about a ghost who would write messages)
    Scooby-Doo
    Pee-Wee's Playhouse
    The Jetsons/The Flintstones
    Double Dare
    WWF Wrestling (Royal Rumble, Summer Slam- OMG, me and my brother were WWF fanatics!!! Hulk Hogan was our hero!!
    *Remember the "I Am A Real American" song that was Hulk Hogan's theme song????????

I used to love Rainbow Bright!

I'm still thinking of more............:D

2. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

Oh my gosh WWF!!!!:)

3. Youngteacher226

Feb 14, 2007

Oh, my favorite musicians!!!

Tears For Fears
    Wham!'s lead singer....what's his name again?
    Whitney Houston
    Michael Jackson
    New Edition
    NKOTB
    Bon Jovi (BIG BIG FAN)...remember "Dead or Alive", "Living on a Prayer"????????????

Um, I'm still thinking.......

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 14, 2007

I remember having to have a Members Only jacket! And then when Madonna came along, those black leggings! Oh my gosh! And the hair! It is amazing I still have hair left with all the teasing I did to it.

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 14, 2007

And Olyvia Newton John's "Let's Get Physical". I bet I wore my record player out with that song!! :)

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

I saw Tears for Fears live after just about killing myself to get there. I HAD to be there. Probably lit a lighter and held it above my head during the ballads.

Wham! his name is George Michael, of course! Loved him. Had posters. Plus, the 45 RPM record of "Careless Whisper" had the "instrumental" version on the back so I could sing as if I were the real star. Gawd!

I loved the Scorpions. I thought I was hard-core :)

7. Youngteacher226

Feb 14, 2007

How could I draw a blank on George Michael???? I guess all this thinking of the 80's got my brain fried!!!!!!!! Thanks. Love you George!! "Father Figure", "I Want Your ***", and his cute little dance!!! I loved it.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 14, 2007

I also LOVED Dukes of Hazard! Everyone I knew was going to grow up and marry Bo Duke. He was so hot!
    And then Dallas would come on afterwords, and Bobby Ewing was sucha doll!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Smurfs! And their rip-off, Snorks :)

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 14, 2007

Oh George Micheal in those jeans with holes all in them and that black jacket with his hot face stubble!! OHHHH LA LA!!

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

Ahhhh the Faith video... I taped that off of MTV ya know, when they used to play videos;)

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

Oh C''mon, Knight Rider with The Hoff was the best. Wasn't he just a cutie:p :D :eek:

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

Gasp!!! I totally forgot about Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, and You Can't Do that On Television!!! I loved those shows!

You know, it's been driving me crazy but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this show I used to watch. It was real life, silly show, kind of like You can't do that on television, almost. But it had adults on it. The intro started with a hand moving objects and letters to spell the name of the show. I believe it had the word time in the title. Ring a tune????

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

I LOVED Square one and I very much remember that epsisode too!

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

What about Square Pegs? I remember thinking, "Poor Sarah Jessica Parker, she's so homely!"

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

Is that Electric Company? Late 70's-early 80's? PBS was running a special on it a month or so ago when they did their pledge drive.

Anyone remember Picture Pages? I SO wanted my own book to follow along with "The Jello Guy" but I always had to pretend. ;)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

Peachyness- are you thinking of Shining Time Station? I loved that show!

And there was another one that took place in a store after the store was closed...I can't remember its name! :-(

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

What about the big records that have pictures from the movies printed on them...we have 2 Disney ones still!!! I had a smurf record!!!

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

I remember the name now...TODAY'S SPECIAL!

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

21. Youngteacher226

Feb 15, 2007

OMG......."Today's Special"!!!!!!! I used to love that show!! I even remember the melody of the theme song, "Today's Special, it's for everyone. Today's Special, come join in the fun! With magic everywhere, a world for us to share. And friendly faces, hoping that you'll want to see us there!"

Ha, ha!!!:D I'm telling you guys that I was a big t.v freak!!!!! That's all I did was watch t.v. I wanted to watch t.v more than I wanted to go outside!:p

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

I wanted to BE IN THAT SHOW. Loved that one. :) And how they always managed to bring a little of the "real world" in to the store since the manequin (Jeff, was that his name?) couldn't leave.

I always seem to be the only one who remembers it, so thanks for helping me realize that i'm not a totaly freak who's making the show up. :)

And Reading Rainbow... forgot to add that one to my PBS shows.

I loved days off of school because I got to watch a lot of stuff that we didn't get to see on school days.

Remember when Disney wasn't on basic cable liek it is now? I used to LOVE those free preview weeks :)

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2007

Ack!! I forgot all about that show!! I remember being out with the chicken pox for a few weeks in the third grade and being able to watch that show. It was awesome. I loved that show. Guess I have to go back and add that to my list. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Any favorite episodes. I remember one that got me into mummies when I was in the third grade. I also remember another one about new york and the taxis.

I was just thinking about my favorite songs. I really liked Madonna and... oh, what's her name. the one who sang, "girls just wanna have fun. " I loved her!

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 16, 2007

Cyndi Lauper? or Debbie Gibson?

When Iworked at camp, we always used to ask our campers every week if they'd ever heard of Debbie Gibson (and a few other stars of the time)... they always said no and looked at us like we were crazy. When they'd eat blue popsicles and we'd tell them they lookedl iek Smurfs, they always gave us this "what the heck are you talking about?" look.

It's priceless. ;)

But it makes me feel so OLD!!!!!

25. Zrocker

Zrocker Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

LOL on having to get up to change the channel.

Much easier pre cable;)

26. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 16, 2007

I loved Saturday morning cartoons.

Smurfs was my favorite.;)

27. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2007

Nickelodeon must have been more innocent back in the day. Jeannie likes this show called Drake and Josh, and I'm almost ready to ban it. The one brother and his sister are just evil and there's always some reference to urinating. During one episode one of the boys' pants were so low cut you could see his crack. It was disgusting.

Kevin used to like this cartoon on Nick. I think it was Rocko's Modern Life. One time it showed Rocko in a tree or a bush, and his friend picking fruit. You can just assume what 'fruit' got picked. We had just gotten cable and I fell over at this cartoon character holding his 'boys' after they got pulled on.

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2007

I remember when Ren and Stimpy came out. Gosh, I must have been around 10 or 11?? Man, now that show was gross. I remember watching one episode that did if for me. Never watched it again. Too weird and gross.

29. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 16, 2007

I never watched Ren and Stimpy either. My favorite shows: The Smurfs (had sheets with them on it), Today's Special, Small Wonder, Kids Incorporated, Reading Rainbow, I remember Romper Room too.

30. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 17, 2007

I used to watch the Smurfs but I think I am older than you. I also liked:

Solid Gold (My plan was to be one of the dancers some day. You can see that dream came true. LOL)

A-Team

Knight Rider

Three's Company (still watch the reruns and know every episode when they come on Nick at Nite)

M*A*S*H

Wheel of Fortune (when they used to have to buy things out of different rooms with the money they had won)

Lawrence Welk (my parents loved that show)

Hee-Haw (they also loved that show)

I also remember when Mary Lou Retton (whom I loved and wanted to be just like) scored the perfect 10 on the vault in the 1984 Olympics.

I was in 6th grade when the Challenger tragedy occurred.

I wore bangs that were about 9 inches tall and shoes that were made of rubber. (jelly shoes)

We also were jeans with colored flowers printed on them and leg warmers to match every outfit we owned.

I had posters of Corey Haim, Kirk Cameron, and Michael Jackson hanging in my room. I also had actual records and my own record player. I would often listen to my brother Carpenters records when he wasn't home.

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2007

:p I loved Solid Gold!!!!! I loved Andy Gibb as host:D

I loved Dance Fever too

Mary Lou Retton was an inspiration

Did you ever have the Dorothy Hamill haircut?

Buster Brown Shoes

anything Holly Hobby?

My unhealthy obsession with the movie Grease. I loved John Travolta:D and thought Olivia was soooooo pretty in the movie

Anyone remember Schoolhouse Rock?!!

Josie and the Pussycats

The Brat Pack Movies( St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, etc)
    The two Coreys

The Goonies
    I could go on and on ...............................:cool:

32. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Feb 17, 2007

Of course I had the Dorothy Hamill haircut. I was going to the Olympics for gymnastics in the summer, ice skating the winter, and apparently a Solid Gold Dancer in my spare time. :D

I also watched Schoolhouse Rock and now have the song stuck in my head for the next 3 days.

I had Holly Hobby things handing in my room along with Strawberry Shortcake and two Coreys.

I remember my mom taking my friend and I to see The Goonies but when we got to the front of the line, it was sold out. What a disappointment!

You're right...I could go on and on too.

33. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

oh good... someone else watched Hee Haw. CMT is showing the reruns now, I remember watching it with my parents. I grew up in Nashville and Minnie Pearl (Sarah Cannon) went to our church. My parents served her communion. That's my claim to fame. ;)

Jelly shoes were awesome. I always wanted to do the sweater with leggings look, but my sweaters were never long enough to let me get away with it at school. ;)

I always wanted a Cabbage Patch doll but never had one; mom thought they were scary. I was in 3rd or 4th grade when the American Girl dolls first came out... so I have one fo the first Molly's :)

34. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Feb 17, 2007

Born in '59, loved Captain Kangaroo, Felix the cat, our first color television (I was in kindergarten), and think the Ramones' "Sheena" tune is a defining moment in rock/punk.

I'm just trying to keep up.

35. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2007

I cringe when I see the pictures of me wearing shorts with leggings underneath when I was like 10...what was I thinking????

36. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2007

I was a big fan of Jem too...and listening to the Barbie and Rockers records at grandma's house:)

37. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Feb 17, 2007

Ok, y'all. I'm way too old for this one, even though I love the Ramones.

Anyone out there remember the 60's?

38. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 17, 2007

I love the Ramones..... I was born for the wrong generation:(

I also love, and I do mean music from the 60's

Janis Joplin
    The Doors
    Mamas and Papas

I

39. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

Hey, go make your own thread. ;) :p

40. weelilnici

weelilnici Guest

Feb 22, 2007

Whew!

I really thought I was nuts! Lol, no one seemed to remember Today's Special! I loved it. Does anyone remember a show on Disney about a mouse that lived under some kind of tree? It's been driving me insane trying to remember the name of it, there was a lady that lived in an apt. lol... If anyone can remember let me know!!