Remedial Reading Curriculum -- Help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StudentTeach, Jun 4, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 4, 2011

I'm interviewing for a job this coming week that seeks a candidate with remedial reading background. I think the job would require teaching two reading classes and three regular English. This is a high school level and the reading classes are for freshmen (and maybe sophomores). At my current school we use the Read 180 program, but I do not believe the school I am interviewing will have the funds to purchase this program; I know they don't have it now. I want to enter the interview with strategies or other ideas for curriculum that support struggling readers that will not require them to purchase an expensive program. Purchasing books/workbooks might be feasible, but something like Read 180 is probably too expensive. What do you use in your own schools? Where can you direct me for some research on this topic? Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

You could work with guided reading, literature circles, and use the comprehension strategies to guide your instruction. It would cost little or could even be free beside personnel if you use library books.

4. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 4, 2011

These are questions I've thought of so far. Please help me out with any others I am missing:

1. What methods and strategies are you using right now in the reading class?
    2. How do you assess student achievement?
    3. Is this in addition to their regular English class?
    4. Is it only for grade 9?
    5. How many students/class?
    6. What are your specific expectations of a remedial reading class?
    7. Is there any funding available through the English department or elsewhere to purchase any materials?
    8. Is it possible to work with scheduling? (Making a double-period every other day, or something of that nature)
    9. Are there any assessments in place to determine what reading level they are on now?
    10. Are there expected learning goals or a curriculum already in place? (i.e.: all students will be on a grade 9 reading level by the end of the year).
    11. Does this class include ELL students?
    12. Will the hired candidate be expected to obtain a certificate or certification in reading at a later date?

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2011

Do you belong to the English Companion Ning? If not, go there right now and join. You'll find an online community of over 25,000 English teachers ready to help.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2011

I would ask how students qualify for these classes (we currently qualify the bottom 25% of students on NWEA and Aimsweb for reading interventions). I would ask what procedures the district has in place to progress monitor the students who qualify for reading and how flexible is entering or exiting students throughout the year.

In addition to asking about ELL students, I would ask about special education students as well.

I would ask about focusing on reading standards or is this class also looking at helping freshman learn how to read textbooks, take notes, etc.

7. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 4, 2011

I do already belong there, but for some reason I always think to post here first. Thanks for the reminder!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 4, 2011