Remedial Math lessons online? 4th grade?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SpecialPreskoo, Jan 11, 2016.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 11, 2016

Does anyone know of any websites that can help my daughter catch up with 4th grade math? She transferred school after Christmas break. Her new school seems to be ahead of her old school by a good bit. Old school was reviewing multiplication tables... still. New school has already covered division and going on to fractions. I know if I try to teach her, teeth and hair will be pulled by both... lol. If there is something online that can be more interesting, please, throw it out there for me!

THANKS!

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 11, 2016

Khan Academy has math from K on up. The only difference may be if your district uses common core or the school she transferred to wants to see the students do math procedures a specific way. It may also be useful to have her do previous year topics if her old school was that far behind.

I'd ask her new teacher about resources to catch her up and if Khan Academy may be an appropriate on-line resource for home.

Khan academy not only has lessons, it has practice problems for on-line students to use. It is completely free to use.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math

You can sign up, and it will keep track of where you left off and successful completions. I believe it also gives incentive badges and messages as the student moves through the lessons.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    mathmagic likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 11, 2016

Would you consider one on one help via Skype? PM me.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 11, 2016

I offer Skype tutoring, also.

6. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Jan 11, 2016

Math Antics is pretty helpful but really cheesy. Don't pay for the lessons but the videos are free and they breakdown everything to where one can understand it.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 12, 2016

THAT'S the site! I could NOT think of that one! I knew there was something out there.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 12, 2016

That might be a great idea. Her math teacher is wanting to talk to us about what she did cover at her old school. I knew reviewing times tables the first half was nuts... but dang... to be that far behind. smh.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 12, 2016

She can catch up. I've seen it many times. Don't let her think it's her fault.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 12, 2016

Thanks to Khan and youtube we knocked out open area and big 7 this afternoon!! I was so glad she caught on quickly! Usually if there is any struggle on her part the drama comes out. She actually got it in no time! Thanks for the suggestions!! No teeth or hair was pulled out! :D I just wish her old school was with the program and up to par with the new school. I didn't realize how behind they were.

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Jan 12, 2016

Yeah!

No surprise though. If she doesn't have disability and just lacked instruction, Khan is where it is at for most kids (old and young :D ). Just make sure she reviews the concepts a bit more to help it stick. They have a way of slipping away when not solidified.

I'd make sure her old skills and any gaps are filled in unless you are sure that the problem with being behind in math was just because of this current school year and not a deficiency in the previous school's math program as a whole.

12. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Jan 12, 2016

MobyMax is a great free website I use in my classroom. It offers Common Core instruction and practice in Math, Science, Reading, Language, and Vocabulary, all k-8 levels. It's easy to use and offers a reward of "game time" that kids earn by completing tasks.

13. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Jan 12, 2016

Hmm...my 5th graders are still working on their times tables and division facts. My school decided NOT to make kids memorize any facts a few years ago (drill and practice was considered EVIL!), and now we are paying dearly for it. This group of fifth graders is incredibly behind, and apparently nobody noticed it until now.

Oh well, they still scored 4th in the district last year...must be our completely dumbed down curriculum (written by "expert" teaching coaches with few years of classroom experience), our new superintendent is kicking to the curb!!!!

14. Math_Lauren

Math_Lauren Rookie

Feb 2, 2016

A great resource I use with my students is Matific. It's a free website K-6 that provides over 1,000 hands-on interactive math activities. Children can move at their own pace and work on activities from any grade level.