Relocation Questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by obod7x7, Feb 3, 2009.

1. obod7x7

obod7x7 Rookie

Feb 3, 2009

I am currently a student teacher in Secondary Social Studies in Pennsylvania. Due to the complete lack of demand for these teachers in my area, I am looking to relocate to Arizona. I have done quite a bit of research on school districts in the areas I would chose to live. I have also visited several times, so I know the area well.

I am visiting again for a week in March. Unfortunately, only one job fair will occur at that time, but it is better than nothing. I have noticed online job postings for at least three other positions I will be eligible for after May.

Here are my questions:

Should I contact school districts I am interested in, asking them what their policy on out-of-state candidates is? I already realize I will have to apply for a reciprocal teaching license for AZ.

Should I request a meeting or tour of their buildings since I will be in their area?

I do know that I should contact as many districts as possible, but what should I say to them?

I want to leave a good impression and show them that I am 100% committed to relocating. Does anybody have any tips for going about doing this?

3. obod7x7

obod7x7 Rookie

Feb 9, 2009

Just bumping this, hoping to get some sort of response.

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

I don't know how much help I am. I am in the same position I am moving to Texas from California. I am going early April for a week and am going to go to a few schools and meet some principals. But, I have a connection, so they will be introducing me. But, I say go for it, make use of your time.

I would really look into what it takes to get licensed there. I was told by Texas that I would get a one year credential, and I had to take my tests during that time. But, when I talked to an employer they said that I would have the credential, but I would not be considered "highly qualified" with out one of the tests. So, I have my one year credential and am taking that one test in April, and will take the rest later on. Just make sure you really know what you need to be marketable.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2009

Research what you need to do in order to get your AZ license and begin that process immediately. Many districts won't be able to consider you for hire unless and until you're licensed to teach in that state.

Have you researched the current budget situation in AZ? I ask because I teach in a neighboring state (NV) and we're facing tremendous budget problems. Our district has been growing and growing for the past 20 years, and this coming year is the first time that they're expecting to actually have to CUT teachers. The year I was hired (06/07), they hired like 3,000 teachers. Now they're not hiring very many and they're getting rid of a lot of the teachers here already. You might want to make sure that something similar isn't happening in AZ....

Go to the job fair. Start contacting schools directly via email (resume and cover letter). I wouldn't worry about building tours until you get an interview or an offer. Be prepared to ask for phone interviews, at least for the initial rounds.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2009

Yes, you will need to take your certification exam in order to be deemed "highly qualified". Many schools will not hire someone who is not HQ.

7. obod7x7

obod7x7 Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

Thanks for your responses everybody. I have done the research and I would need to apply for a reciprocal teaching certification (PA certification is accepted for this). The certification requirements are not difficult to obtain...just finding a job is the problem.

As far as I know, the situation in AZ is a bit better than PA when it comes to jobs. There are NO jobs here, especially for secondary social studies because that is what everybody wants to teach. People are moving out of my region (NW PA) is mass quantities, so numbers of students at the districts are lowering and so are the numbers of teachers. Southern Arizona is growing rapidly and I know of a few districts that are opening new schools. I feel that there is better opportunity there to at least get my foot in the door.

I am also considering Virginia and North Carolina, although Arizona is preferred because I have friends and family in that state.

8. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

Don't know if you want to consider VA. I know in my area they are not hiring new teachers and the upper grades are getting cut.

9. zthatzmanz28

zthatzmanz28 New Member

Feb 12, 2009

Contact the district -- they may have on line applications and contact the specific school principals as well...in writing and emails!!

When I was looking at New Mexico and North Carolina that worked for me...

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 12, 2009

As someone who moved after getting her PA license, PLEASE bear in mind that our home state's requirements are more relaxed than other states. Once I moved to Ohio, I had to take an additional Praxis II (known as the PLT) on teaching theory. If Arizona requires the PLT, be prepared to possibly support yourself in another manner until your test scores can be added to your certificate transfer application. Mine turned into a quagmire because by the time I got my PLT score it took an additional two weeks for them to find the rest of my application!

11. techteacher08

techteacher08 New Member

Feb 12, 2009

relocation

When I was relocating from SC to VA, the first thing I did was look on the district web pages for their policies on applications. Some want you to contact the schools, others make you go through the districts then put you into a hiring pool.
    I would highly reccomend contacting HR at the districts you wish to apply to and find out their policies. Most of them have it on their web pages.

Good Luck!!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2009

When I moved I got a certificate that gave me two years to take the tests, which were different from the ones I had taken. If you are going there I would try to arrange interviews with various HR departments if possible. Good luck!

13. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 12, 2009

I would go straight to the schools for any districts that do their hiring at the school level. Principals hire people they know, like, could imagine working with.

14. obod7x7

obod7x7 Rookie

Feb 12, 2009

Thanks again for responding, everyone! Your advice gave me some needed confidence to actually take the initiative. I have compiled a list of e-mails for HR departments in several school districts. I am sending them a letter explaining my intent to relocate (and my understanding of certification requirements there), my resume, and my philosophy of education.

I am planning to send these things to the HR lead at each district (these districts are large, with 5 high schools and 5 middle schools each). Since the districts are so large, does it make sense to do what I am doing (contacting HR) rather than contacting each principal?

I've always wondered why PA does not require the PLT.... Arizona does require this, although it is not the Praxis II version. They give you a year to take this test after you have your reciprocal certification. They also give you a year to obtain SEI (Structured English Immersion) training. I wish we had these things here!

15. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2009

Do the school districts hire as a district or as a school? My district has 9 high schools but hires at the school level. Here it would make sense to go to the principals. If you could get the super to want to hire you it would help but talking to the principals would make sense (I benefitted from both). When I was dropping off a resume at a school in the summer I ran into one of our supers. He intereviewed me (informally) on the spot. This certainly helped.