Relocating

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Annie227, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

Has anyone else made a significant relocation this year? I moved from California to Virginia. There are so many differences between not only my districts, but also the states! (Mostly all for the better here in VA in my opinion.) I was just curious how others are dealing with the changes.

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

I didn't move this year but in Fall 2003 I moved from a very small town in western Kentucky (where everyone knows you and everything about you) here to GA where I am in a town of around 70+ thousand 35 miles east of Atlanta. Talk about a change (but a good one). I have started my 5th school year here and am absolutely loving my townhouse that I bought last fall. Good luck and hope you have an awesome year :)

4. graysea_10

graysea_10 Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I just relocated from Michigan (a smaller town) to basically Orlando. I am pretty scared about being in such a new, big town environment. I also have never taught in the state of MI, although my certificate is from there. So I am very nervous about the FL standards.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2007

I moved last summer from Indiana/North Dakota to Nevada. The standards are numbered differently but are basically the same. I've had more difficulty adjusting to the climate! :)

6. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I moved from a small town in the desert - to a slightly bigger small town in the mountains. The humidity is tough. The standards seem fairly equivalent, but I'm used to a strict curriculum (core curriulum - adopted text only, no supplements) and in my new school they create a lot of their own stuff. I asked where the social studies book was (we test Reading, Math, Science & Social Studies in 3rd grade) and was told "oh, there's no book, we just pull some stuff together" ! I'm excited about the freedom, but I don't have a lot of training in elementary ed - (it was an added endorsement and really only required 2 classes) so I'm a bit nervous.

7. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

I moved from a very small town (50 people) to southern California with over 300,000+. Talk about being different. Teaching out there was different also. I taught 1st grade but felt like I was teaching Kindergarten most of the time. I decided to move back to Minnesota (not the small town I grew up in) and love it. I hated being so far away from family! Now I am still close enough to family, but far away enough too!! :)

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

I moved to England, from Maryland, to teach for the DoD schools. I loved it, but I also was thrilled to return home...and the lady who had taken my teaching position retired the year we returned, so I was able to return to the same school, same classroom, same grade. Isn't that odd?
    Kim

9. new2FL

new2FL Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I moved from PA to FL in November. So far, the differences have been HUGE. In PA, thinngs are very clear cut, and "uptight";) , but so far FL seems much more laid back. Also, there are absolutely NO jobs to be found in PA, and that is definitely not the case in FL. It should be an interesting year, I've already been told to "relax" and that I'm too tightly wound LOL!

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

Welcome to VA! My last move was from central to northern va, and there was a bit of adjusting to do as well. I think I coped well because I had my hubby with me. ;)

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

I am moving on Tuesday from Michigan (Flint area) to North Carolina (Charlotte area). I will probably not cope well at first, as I am super close to my mom and sister, and I am moving all alone and know absolutely no one.

12. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 5, 2007

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2007

14. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Annie227---In what area of VA are you teaching??

Last year I moved from NC to VA. For me, it was a HUGE change because I had been teaching in a DOD (Dept. of Defense) school for 2 years. We had a union, our system did not fall under NCLB, so things were very different...we were able to focus on TEACHING instead of TESTING, etc. Not to mention, the cost of living where I was in NC was so low compared to the Northern VA area. Even with all of the changes, though, I really like this area and my school! I had some rough spots last year where I was ready to throw in the towel (all related to the fact that we test our kids to death and I didn't feel like I had time to teach), but I am hanging in there! I work with wonderful people and we have some really fabulous students/families in our school that make going to work enjoyable!

15. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I moved last July from NJ to GA. Because there are no jobs for elementary in NJ the ones that are avaliable are for special ed or have 500+ people putting in for it . There are lots of jobs down here and its cheaper to live than NJ which I love!!! I am going into my second year here I taught 2nd last year and this year I am teaching first which will be an adjustment. But so far i like here everyone is much more laid back then NJ LOL!

16. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Aug 5, 2007

I will be moving next year. I do not know to where exactly. My husband is finishing his degree in geography, and none of the good jobs are available where we live. So I will be moving to a city on the east coast hopefully, Virginia.

17. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

18. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 5, 2007

19. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

20. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 6, 2007

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

22. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 6, 2007

23. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 6, 2007

you didn't want to be closer to your school??

24. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

I will be commuting about 45 minutes daily. I was having a hard time finding an apartment with availability on short notice (I was offered the job less than 2 weeks ago). There were a few, but none I would live in! This was the closest I found, and I only got this one because the complex is brand new!

25. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Yeah. I would have picked that one too

26. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

It appears that my thread was taken over by the north carolina folks. Oh well.

27. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 6, 2007

28. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

I have an orientation thing from 8-4, so I won't be able to get there at that time. Oh well. I won't see my classroom until after orientation on Thursday anyway.

:hijack:

:rofl:

29. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I moved from Maryland to Georgia a couple of years ago. I taught in a great district in MD and comparing it to the district in GA...well GA falls short. GA is very behind in instructional practices, procedures, routines...well overall.:blush: If it didn't cost so much to live in Maryland, I would move back tomorrow.

30. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I don't know where you were in MD, but in my old district, they treated the teachers very well. Oooh how I miss it.

31. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

January
    what district? Some are so much btter than others.

32. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

REALLY!! I love the district I teach in. We arent behind in my district. We are ahead compared to were I lived in NJ. Maybe you just taught for a bad school district in GA

33. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I've taught in two pretty bad schools here. NO ONE ever leaves the decent schools. So as a new person, well you sorta get what's left over most of the time.

I am sure they have other decent schools but as a whole the programs and various implementations were behind compared to my old district.

34. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2007

I moved from Seattle to NYC to take a teaching position, but am back in Seattle again. It was a fun adventure, but I LOVE my city.

35. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

How long were you in NYC? I've thought about doing that.