relocating: where should I go?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Jul 20, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 20, 2005

Hello, my husband and I are planning to move next year if I do not have a premanent postition. I seriously doubt that I will because our area is working class and not a lot of options in ANY career. So can anyone who lives in an up and coming city (or town) point me in the right direction.

Keep this in mind: I would like to go somewhere in the south east, I am not a big city kind of girl, plus I am multi-racial so I would like be an an area with at least a few other minorities (only because I have had terrible racist experiences when I went into an all white neighborhood as a kid and I am still sort of traumatized).
    Thanks for any help you can give.

3. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

From what I've read here, Florida is the place to go. They're hiring tons of teachers.

4. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 20, 2005

Thank you. I have been researching Fl. and even applied for a few positions on-line. That is really where I'd like to go. It's a big contender. I have been hearing a lot of good stuff about Georgia too. I am hoping someone can give me a specific city or county.

5. veg_guy

veg_guy Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

There are definitely people from FL who post here so I'm sure you'll here from them soon. Not sure Georgia would be a good fit if you're looking for someplace multicultural. Atlanta would be WAY too big for you if you don't like big cities. Perhaps Athens, Georgia which is a college town. Or Savannah, Georgia. Not sure if either of those cities are hiring though.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 20, 2005

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 20, 2005

I couldn't find a position in Kentucky (depended on who you knew not WHAT you knew). I ended up moving here to Georgia, best move I every made. Yes they have lots of positions. I heard about one district that still had 113 positions and school starts in a week and 2 days. The multi-racial isn't an issue here either.

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 20, 2005

Wow, that sounds great! I have been seriously looking into the your area Margo for a while now. My husband is not too crazy about Florida though (I am) so I think our compromise may be Georgia.
    I think you talked me into it Melissa. Can you give me a good county or city to look into?

9. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 20, 2005

Katerina, I live in Broward County (South Florida), and although it is close to the "big city" it also has a lot of towns that are very "country" like and smalltown feel. The county is very diverse, and tolerant of others who are multiracial. My daughters are in fact multiracial and I want them to be in a very diverse population so that they are not singled out for being different. There are lots of jobs down here. Check out the following website. www.browardschools.com
    Private message me if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  10. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 21, 2005

Thanks Karrie. I appreciate help!

11. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 21, 2005

charlotte,nc is a great city to live in. Not too big not too small. You have all ethnic backgrounds here. And the people are really nice..its that southern hospitality. And they building alot down here (new homes, shopping areas,new staduim) I been here for almost five months and i love it. I found a job in no time. Around the time I moved there was a career fair the following month. NC is desprate for teachers
    What level/grade/subject?

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

Don't come up here in Wisconsin. Jobs are few to none, at least in my area, unless you want to go to "shoot em'up" Milwaukee. In order to work in their district you have to live in the county-no thank you!

13. Laini

Laini Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

I agree with North Carolina.. check it out. Charlotte is a good area, as is the surrounding counties. Moved here 5 years ago.. love it!

14. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 21, 2005

I am middle school certified social studies and language arts. I have been to charlotte as a kid (went to a camp there). It sounds great!! I will add it to my list. Thanks.

15. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Jul 21, 2005

My friend from high school just moved from here in Southwestern Ohio to North Carolina...she was able to get a job in the grade she wanted. I've heard that some places in NC offer relocation benefits.

16. MzB

MzB Rookie

Jul 21, 2005

Palm Beach County in Florida is gorgeous. I went to school there for a year, and you'd LOVE it. It has some small city, suburbs, and rural (I'm talking dirt roads, I had to drive down one to get to my practicum!). West Palm Beach is very multi-ethnic, and is affordable. Everything looks tropical. At least it did to me coming from Maryland LOL.

I second Charlotte. I hear lots of great things about that area. My friend just got a job in that area, teaching MS English.

But my vote is South Florida. Palm Beach County or Broward County. PB is like $36,000 and some change I think.

17. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 21, 2005

You all are making this decision harder and harder ;)
    I appreciate the leads.

18. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 23, 2005

Katrina,

Sorry for the delay in reply, I have been spending every waking moment trying to get things ready for school to start next Friday. Between inservices and trying to get things put away in my "mobile learning unit" (aka trailer) I haven't been here in a couple of days.

I am in Newton Co about 35 miles east of Atlanta it's close enough to Atlanta that if you need to go it's not too far but far enough away to avoid the traffic.

Here are the current listings for jobs still available as of yesterday and that's after they just completed new teacher orientation wednesday and thursday for 205 new teachers:

2005-2006 CERTIFIED VACANCIES

Teaching Positions

Early Childhood Education
    Middle Grades Education (All concentrations)
    Secondary Education (All Areas)
    Speech & Language Pathologist
    Psychologists
    Special Education
    School Counseling
    Spanish
    Science

19. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 23, 2005

20. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Jul 23, 2005

Katrina03 -

I am not what you would call a "big city girl", I grew up in a small town in eastern KY. I moved to Myrtle Beach, SC and then on to Miami Beach, FL. The one thing I know is that teachers are definitely in demand here. I had no problems finding a job. If you are interested you can check out the job listings at www.dadeschools.net. Once there click on Human Resources, next Jobs, then Teacher Recruitment, and finally Instructional Teacher Openings. There are a lot of positions available!!! Miami is a large place but there is also a lot of opportunity here (and it is definitely multicultural).

Good luck!!!

21. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 23, 2005

You guys are wonderful. Thank you so much!

22. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 31, 2005

I know I am kind of late but I also live in Georgia and there are tons of positions open according to my friends who are teachers. I live in Cobb county which is a county north of Atlanta and is very suburban. It is not very multi-racial here but there are other counties that are a bit more diverse like Gwinnett and parts of Fulton county. As far as the city is concerned, what do you consider to be a big city because I am originally from Los Angeles and I thrive on big cities like Chicago or New York but I would in no way consider Atlanta to be a really big city. It is a little nervewrecking at first but once you get the hang of the streets (the fact that almost every street begins with Peach......) and the traffic you should be okay. I personally love Atlanta and I attend college in Atlanta and wouldn't have it any other way. Athens is not the most diverse place in the state and I believe there are less job opportunities since it is mainly a college town whereas metro-Atlanta can provide you with tons of counties that are hiring and pay well (Fulton and Atlanta Public pay very well in this area!) The other great thing about Georgia would be the housing market. There are tons of fabulous places to live that are very affordable and I know in Kennesaw you can buy a decent house for under 150k. I hope this helps and I know you have received tons of postings concerning this topic but I felt like I should give you my spin on things in south! Remember: Atlanta is the city too busy to hate! Good Luck in your future endeavors!

23. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

North Carolina! Specifically, Raleigh, Wake County. They open new schools practically each year it is growing so fast. It also offers the Research Triangle Park, lots of shopping, downtown, etc. I really miss it. It is very diverse and there are over 100 elementary schools in the county, both traditional and year-round (my personal fav.). Good luck.

24. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 31, 2005

thanks!