Relocating to North Carolina or Tennessee

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by krknoles, Jan 14, 2006.

1. krknoles

krknoles Rookie

Jan 14, 2006

Hello,
    I am a Kindergarten teacher from South Florida, who is looking at relocating to the North Carolina or Tennessee area. I am interested in finding out about the different areas/districts that are good to work for. I am coming from a district and school that is not teacher and student friendly. I don't what to make that mistake of relocating to another one. Please advise me on which areas and schools in these states are good to relocate to. I am interested in staying and teaching in the surrounding areas of the bigger cities, but not in the heart of them. I would like to find a district and school that has a developmental theory of teaching in their Kinbdergarten curriculum.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 14, 2006

As far as I know in North Carolina all teachers start at year 1 pay no matter how much teacher experience they have out of state. I don't know if this will influence your decision.

4. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jan 27, 2006

I moved from GA to NC 4 years ago and am in my first year of teaching here. I can tell you - it's a WORLD of difference from GA. I was not teaching there but I did have a child in the "system". The public schools were horrid. They wanted to move a K child to 2nd grade. I ended up putting her in a private school then homeschooling her. I am now in a small town outside of Asheville and the schools here are awesome. I have a son who is K now and my daughter is now in high school. When I moved here I fell in love with the schools which inspired me to get my degree! Guess that's a postive vote for this area LOL

5. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jan 28, 2006

You get paid based on experience, they would never get teachers if everyone started off on year 1. North Carolina has it's problems just like any other state. I went to school and college in Florida, so I know all about the FCAT and high stakes testing that drives Florida's curriculum. We have EOG's here but since I'm in K right now, I don't have a very good feel for how they compare to FCAT. Each district pays a supplement on top of the state salary. K is high pressure getting them to read. I'm sorry that I wasn't all that helpful. But if you have any other questions regarding K just ask! I'm a first year teacher in Charlotte-Mecklenburg.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

We south Floridians love North Carolina, don't we? I visited there several times a year for many years. My best friend moved to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area - to Davidson. A charming town.

7. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jan 28, 2006

We have gotten 2 new teachers from South Florida in the last 2 years. What is it that makes your district so unfriendly?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2006

It is a screwed up mess down here.

9. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jan 29, 2006

I would like to recommend my district but it is maybe the largest in E. Tennessee and we may have similar problems. We have budget problems all of the time. We have mountains of paperwork to do to show accountability for every little thing. On the other hand, people are friendly and most of them really want what is best for kids. (I think)