relocating for job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sub2Teach, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jun 11, 2007

Hello All,

Well, I'm still waiting to hear back from an interview I had almost two weeks ago and I'm worried that's not a good sign. Anyway, I'm thinking if I don't find a teaching job in Illinois, I may need to relocate. I've been trying to find a job in Illinois (full-time) for over three years and I haven't had much luck. Does anyone know any areas that are really in need of teachers? I've heard about Las Vegas being in need of teachers, as well as Florida. Are there any other states that have large teacher shortages? What about California? I recently went to California on vacation with my family and I loved it there. Does anyone know whether California is in need of teachers? How about the application process for out of state teachers? I'm thinking if I don't find a job in Illinois by the end of July relocation may be necessary. I've subbed a lot since graduating back in 2003, but I feel I'm ready for my own classroom.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

I will be relocating soon, as well. I have found lots of jobs in Vegas and Florida, as you mentioned. They by FAR have the most jobs available (thousands-FL is expected to hire 10000). Maryland and Virginia also have tons of jobs. South Carolina, North Carolina, Arizona and Kentucky are also hiring quite a few. Missouri has possibility. Check teachers-teachers.com

Hope this helps!

Oh, and California (at leasted the Southern part) is in the same type of situation we are in-too many teachers and not enough jobs. I know this from this forum. New England states also are over saturated for the most part.

4. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

Hi!

Have you thought about Catholic schools as a good starting point. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and know that most schools won't look at you without experience.

The Catholic schools are looking for teachers often, they are everywhere!

I moved to Tampa, Florida in 2001. They are ALWAYS looking for teachers down here - but not in the best schools.

Good luck!

Kelly :)

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 11, 2007

Teaching jobs in all of the southern states are plentiful. What's your area of certification? If you come down here, or go to California or Nevada, you may be expected to be certified in ESL.

6. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Virginia is in need of teachers-it's where I from. Yet it depends on where you want to be. If you like the country the jobs are not very plentiful because that's where I am located. However, if you like the city that's where they need teachers. In VA the Richmond area, the VA Beach area and the northern VA area need teachers.

7. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 11, 2007

I currently live in Washington (too many teachers/not enough jobs) but I will be moving to Arizona in a few weeks for a job. My husband is military so when the time came for orders I was so fortunate that he was willing to relocate to where I could find a job rather than stay here. I have looked at several states but found what I hope is a great district in Arizona. I put my information on the Arizona job board and I receive about a call a week from districts looking for teachers.

http://www.arizonaeducationjobs.com/

Another note about AZ... depending on where you live you can be as close as 2 hours to San Diego, LA or Las Vegas.

I have a WA and CA licence and was able to be hired with reciprocal certifiaction but I do have to take a US Constitution and an Arizona government test within a year-no big deal.

I had also prepared myself to apply in Nevada and for a licence there you need to take and pass the Praxis II 0011 and 0012. They do phone interviews.

On the chnce that we ended up on the east coast I had also applied with the Baltimore City Schools and did receive an interview invitation so there is another place to consider.

Good luck!

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

I teach in Las Vegas and I love it here! There are plenty of jobs available to qualified teachers.

If you're interested, you should take a look at our district--Clark County School District. I'm certain you'd be able to find a job here.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

10. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jun 11, 2007

Thanks for all the information. Its given me a lot to think about and consider. I'm thinking of giving myself a deadline and sticking to it, as far as if I don't hear something or having a chance at a job by ________, I'll definitely try and line up something for one of those places with a lot of openings. Do most of them do phone interviews or do you need to go there to set something up? Thanks again!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone in the same boat!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

In my experience, they have all done phone interviews initially, but you eventually have to interview in person. But, a piece of advice, make your dead line very soon. Most southern schools start the 1st or 2nd week in August. Where, here in Michigan, they traditionally started the last week in August, and have recently passed a law that schools can not start before Labor Day.

12. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 12, 2007

CA has jobs... Maybe not the southern part, but other parts do..esoecially merced, modesto, san Joaquin (central valley basically)
    i also am looking into AZ

I will relocate, but I won'r relocate to the other side of the country...

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I was hired by CCSD (Las Vegas) based on telephone interviews only. I do think that many places understand that many teachers are having to relocate for jobs and that it isn't always feasible to expect teachers to travel for an interview.

With that having been said, I definitely recommend visiting a prospective school once you've been offered a position. You'd have to accept a job and then find out that it's in some crappy place with open-design pods, has no AC, and reeks of sewer gas. You know what I mean?

(Of course, I didn't see my school before accepting the offer. I just wanted a job! Plus I had done a lot of online research and felt confident about what I was getting into. It turned out wonderfully for me!)

14. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 12, 2007

I also got all my offers last year based on phone interviews (in CA)

didnt take em, as I wanted a diff grade level in the end, but all three were phone only.

15. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

Teacher's here in Tampa go back August 10th - but new (to the county) teacher training starts August 1st.

Kelly :)

16. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

Do you like it in Nevada? I was thinking of applying to Arizona, Texas, Nevada, and North Carolina.

17. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

18. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 16, 2007

I'm applying to AZ and Nevada

ow many of you had to fly out for interviews?

I'm getting called in AZ.

In the past when I was applying out of state, I've been interviewed by phone.

Once, the initial was on the phone and then if they still were serious about me, they wanted me to come out.

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 16, 2007

There are still lots of jobs in Florida BUT some counties are scaling back. I know Pinellas county is expecting to close some schools next year because enrollment is starting to decline. However, Citrus County has to hire around 140 teachers for the fall.

20. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

I've done phone interviews with principals and hiring committees. That's in military towns. They can't expect you to fly to an interview for a job that pays 2500 a month

21. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 16, 2007

ok.. well i asked them if i could at least do the initial by phone. For me, it just wouldnt be fair to have to fly out for an interview and then not be a serous candidate. That's why I think the first interview at least should be phone as it costs money to fly out.

I'm still holding out for CA, just because it's easier to move two hours away then to another state.

BUT I know relocating might be necessary....and Aizona and Nevada are still close and diverse enough.

22. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

I don't know how you can afford to support yourself as a teacher in California. I'd take a serious look at housing costs before you decide where you're going. Making 45 thousand in parts of california is like making 20 thousand in Texas

23. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Jun 16, 2007

No. Unfortunately. I would definitely stay if the market wasn't so tight. My husband is military so there are only two areas where we can live. And unfortunately the whole state is flush with teachers. For any posted position, there are between 200 and 300 applicants. I have been subbing for the last three years and it is to my detriment. Unfortunately, the better the sub you are the less chance of getting hired you have because districts need to keep subs in the pool.

Luckily, because we are military, my husband was willig to relocate to a place where he could get orders and I could get a job. I appreciate his flexibility.

24. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

But then you have to move four years later, I know all about that. And there are the fantastic questions about how long your husband will be stationed there that are nice :bleah

25. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Jun 16, 2007

Things are going to work out ok. My husband will hit 20 at the end of this tour and he'll do onelast tour on shore duty (why not... it is easy, lots of family time and that will take him to 23 which increases his retirement). When it's time for shore duty we will do some real thinking and hopefully he'll do his last tour AND I'll get a job where we want to settle down.

We'll see what happens but for now I am happy.

26. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 16, 2007

Well, I'm still renting and am only supporting myself at the moment....so it's a little bit easier than say if I owned my own home, had a family to support...Right now, I am just starting out

I had been trying Oregon as my family is up there, but it is oversaturated up ther.

27. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 16, 2007

If you are interested in special education, science , or math the Loa Angeles Unified School District has 1000 teaching jobs open. If you have an elmentary credential you can go for special education certification in their Special Education Intern program. You would have to pass the CBEST and the Multiple subject CSET but the district would pay for your schooling.

28. arteach

arteach Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

I have been subbing for the last three years and it is to my detriment. Unfortunately, the better the sub you are the less chance of getting hired you have because districts need to keep subs in the pool

That is just not fair!:(

29. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 17, 2007

I'm starting to wonder if that's why I haven't had any calls back. I've been subbing in between LTS positions while in grad school.

It really isn't fair but come this fall I don't care if I have to go to a district that pays a little less I am not subbing.

30. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Jun 17, 2007

That is the philosophy in the district that I work for too.

To quote the rumor mill..."The sub pool is too shallow to take any water out of it"

And it's NOT fair. It is frusterating to be absolutly dedicated to the district and more importantly the students that go to school in it and to be punished for it.

I always thought that if I worked hard, was absolutley reliable and good at what I do I would be rewarded. You know, the basic work ethic. Instead, I am punished for it. And it sounds like I'm not the only one in that boat.

31. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 17, 2007

Wow... My district doesnt have enough subsm but lots of us get permanent positions. I almost did.

32. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jun 17, 2007

Finding a job in IL is nightmare! How about checking in the southern states?

33. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 17, 2007

About the subbing I definitely agree it is not fair. That is why I am working as a special ed. TA.

34. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jun 17, 2007

Exactly, I think that might be why I wasn't called back after having an interview at a school I had subbed for couple years. I always put 100% effort into my days subbing leaving a note describing the day's events for the classroom teacher, following the lesson plans as directed, assisting with activities as instructed, never being late and so yeah why hire you when you make a great sub. The ironic part is they subbing is a good foot in the door. Well, for me, that hasn't been the case.

35. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

I did 3 LTS jobs after I student taught in one district and did day to day subbing there in between the LTS. When a position finally opened up I had a first and second interview and didn't get hired. Luckily I ended up getting a job in a different district, but I think I would have left that school even if I didn't.