Relocating for a Job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FCLaura, Dec 29, 2009.

1. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Dec 29, 2009

Hi All,

I am teaching as a long-term sub here in Washington State. The job market here is REALLY bad. Last year there were about 100+ applicants for most elementary positions. Because of this, my husband (also a new teacher, going to be certified in HS Science/English) and I are seriously considering moving to another state. Is the job market better in other states? Where are there openings for teachers? Is the pay decent compared to cost of living? Thank you!

Laura

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2009

I know here (NJ) the job market can be pretty tough, especially for elementary school teachers. I think the pay varies a lot from state to state and district to district. I know my district here in NJ starts brand new teachers at around $43K.

Places may start listing openings in early 2010...be sure to figure out a few key states you'd be willing to move to and keep an eye on their state hiring websites. NJ has www.njhire.com and www.njschooljobs.com. I know PA has something like that too. Good luck!

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 29, 2009

If you want to look at CA try this site: www.edjoin.org
    It gives you openings for all of the state. You can customize it to the positions you want.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

Louisiana is great for teachers. The pay is reasonable compared to the cost of living. There are usually openings. There are over 30 openings listed in my district right now.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 30, 2009

You've already gotten good advice. The market is tough everywhere. Good luck!

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 30, 2009

The market is very tight here, I wish you and yours a lot of luck. You probably can decide where you'd like to really live and do a search at that State's Dept. of Ed.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 30, 2009

As others have said, the job market is tight in lots of places. I would think your best bet is to find the state's on-line posting center that the districts use and go from there. In PA it's www.pareap.net for the eastern part. I will say though that getting elementary here is very, very hard.

Good luck.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 30, 2009

Florida is teachinflorida . You can view openings without a techers-teachers account. Cost of living is not cheap, but we don't have state income tax. Salaries are not great in smaller districts, but it is a job. Good luck wherever you end up! :)

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2009

11. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Dec 30, 2009

New Jersey is a wasteland for jobseekers.

High school certification in physics, chemistry and math are your best bets. If you are prepared (and can demonstrate it) to work in the inner city, your chances for landing work improve. NJ urban districts pay reasonably well, however the cost of living is relatively high.

Good luck!

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Dec 30, 2009

I relocated for here to Georgia 7 years ago and love it. The market has been tougher recently but if you are interested the website is www.teachgeorgia.org and you can look for districts that have openings without having to set up an account. You only have to do the account if you want to apply.

13. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Dec 31, 2009

In small Colorado cities (Boulder, Ft. Collins for ex.) we have around 100-200 applicants for elementary public school jobs. Denver loves people who speak Spanish (anywhere for that matter). Smaller towns have less applicants. Some rural farm communities have many fewer applicants. Some rural farm districts provide housing to new teachers.

Teaching in a private or charter school also is a good "in" for new teachers. Subbing or working as a paraprofessional is also a good way to establish your career.

I read recently that inner city Chattanooga TN had 64 positions and only 1 applicant.

Good luck!

14. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Dec 31, 2009

remember though no matter what state you go to you have to get certified in that state.

15. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Jan 2, 2010

Thank you all so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

16. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jan 2, 2010

It depends on what state you are certified in. My PA certs are accepted in a lot of states because of our high standards for teachers.