Relocating? And other job hunting questions....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Jul 14, 2007.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

So...I posted a thread about the possibility of taking a maternity leave position and pretty much every1 said it was a good idea.

I was wondering, though...has any1 ever relocated before? I live in Jersey and it is sickingly impossible to get a job here. And believe you me, it's all about connections (both the interviews I've gotten were because I knew someone). I have seriously begun considering applying farther away from my home. Now...the last thing I want to do is move b/c a.) my b/f and I are saving for a house and it would be impossible to get one now, b.) i'm fresh out of college so i don't exactly have a lot of money to start with and c.) who the heck wants the stress of moving AND being a first year teacher? but I digress....if you apply to a job out of state and say, get an interview...do you literally have to travel to all these places in which you may not even get the job?

I don't know...just wondering if any1 has done this before.

Also...is there anything else I can do with the jobs I've already applied to? Some I applied to in March. I've called but gotten bullpoopy answers from secretaries. Is there anything I can say or do that would get me more recognition?

Lastly, I had an interview in June..called a week after to see if they found someone and they said they didn't. well, it's like a month later and i haven't heard anything. i've pretty much lost hope at this point, but do you think it's worth a shot to call them again?

Thanks guys...i am just really stressing b/c people I graduated with are getting jobs when they are nothing special whereas i busted my behind during college.

GAH!

3. azreader

azreader Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

Hi MoogleMeg,

I relocated last summer from Indiana to California. The districts there were laying off teachers so I was applying from there. I applied in three states and Florida was developing well but a teachers' strike left my contract hanging indefinitely. Anyway, I flew to California and stayed with a cousin and I hardly had any money. It was a touch and go until I got an offer to teach in an inner city high school.

Now, the relocation process. The packing was horrible but friends came over to help. I did an out of state sale of stuff but it was not enough to possibly get me an apartment, etc. My husband and I drove all the way and has a U-haul with things we thought we could not part with. Stayed in a motel here for almost a month searching for the most affordable apartment that is in a safe city.

How did I get money to get an apartment and wait for the first pay check? I was able to get a relocation loan for 3.8% payable in 48 months in a teachers' credit union bank. They also have other loans such as for credential for $10,000 at the same rate. I did not get the full amount of the credential but did get their classroom supply and assured approval credit card for $2,000.

You will need a written verification of the job offer so as you can avail of this relocation loan. Most states with a shortage of teachers have credit union banks that offer relocation loans.

As to interviews, I would not recommend what I did of flying over and be stressed with money problems while desperately praying that a job contract would be offered. I also aired out my concerns over travelling for possible jobs here and Cassie said she got her job in Nevada by phone interviews.

I got the info and other tons of help only last night and I shall be calling the principals there by Monday. Meanwhile, I am trying to prepare necessary paperwork for this (lost count on how many I have done for so many districts already). But the thing is it is good to know that there is a state that is accommodating to their out of state applicants. Plus I read in their website that they have a great welcome package such as waived security deposit for utilities and apartment, etc. plus a credit union to help one in the relocation process.

As far as I know, only NC and Nevada came up with such a thoughtful relocation set of services. In NC, they have an agency that is meant to help the teacher's spouse, bf or partner look for a job.

4. azreader

azreader Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

BTW, I found the California credit union accidentally. My husband went through the yellow pages for personal loans and one company he talked with told him to approach this bank because it is primarily a teacher oriented bank.

Otherwise, we were hitting bottom in that memorable motel.

Relocation can be costly but it is not impossible.

5. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

Hello. I live in Michigan, but applied to NC and VA. I don't want to move, but I don't have too much of a choice. I am actually in NC right now visiting. What I did is I e-mailed all the HR people of all the districts I applied to and told them I planned on visiting the area and could I talk with someone about potential employment while I was there. Two in VA and 4 in NC e-mailed me back and said they would be happy to meet with me. Once I got here the HR person set me up with interviews; I had three interviews in one day at one district. As of right now I have 2 job offers - so I think it helped to come in person. If you can't make a trip then usually they do phone interviews. I actually had a phone interview for a school in VA, but it didn't go that great (I am not a phone person). Then I think once you have the phone interview and they like you then you make a trip down to the final paperwork and such.

It is going to be the hugest pain in the rump to move, but I tried to plan ahead. I started paying month to month on my apartment and I started packing. I quit one job (I don't want to work there anyway, even if I don't get a teaching job), but I still have one. Then I just saved as much money as I could for moving expenses. I will have to borrow some money too. I plan on moving into an apartment so I did some research on apartments in different areas. Plus some districts do offer relocation packages, which helps. I guess we'll see what happens if I do get the job I want - hopefully I'll know before too long.

6. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 14, 2007

Meg,

I will tell you that if my husband did not have a good job that took him years to get (as competitive as teaching) I would be out of here NOW. In fact, if something unusual were to happen and he was laid- off (very unlikely) we would go. We may go anyway some day. Not only is it almost impossible, as you said, to find a teaching job here in NJ, this state is not a nice one to its residents. Our real estate taxes continue to increase every year and you know the costs of insurance and almost everything else here. People are losing their homes because they cannot afford the cost of living here.:( It is so sad. It is like there is this huge line between those who have connections and their family/friends and those of us who do not. My county is particularly nasty, referred to as a political cesspool. The sad thing is I love my home and neighborhood. But many of my neighbors are planning on leaving NJ. They are all going to be happy, even though they will have to pump gas in their new states! HA!:)

If I were you, I would seriously consider it, you and your bf are young and this is the perfect opportunity to start fresh! I know it is scary and may be difficult financially, but if you can swing it and you both agree, I say go for it.

I know there are job fairs here that bring in schools from other states so you can interview here-actually in Philly, I think. I know you can do phone interviews. My cousin did that (not for teaching) and got a job in Chicago-she took a train there to sign the papers. There is a New Jerseyan on here actually who moved to Georgia and is now teaching there. Maybe she will pop in and you can connect.

In the meantime, you are doing what I am. It is NOT easy here. You can be a fantastic teacher with a terrific resume and great interviewing skills and yet still have no luck....I have also tried following up and get those "bullpoopy" answers as you call them. :D So true! I have emailed follow-ups, too and have pretty much sent my resume everywhere and anywhere. Unfortunately, politics are essential here.:( I cannot tell you how many people I know who got jobs that way and did not even have to interview. And like you, I worked extremely hard and got experience as a TA/sub-this was supposed to be a second career for me. I never thought it would be like this. I can barely get interviews and when I do, they usually go to someone connected or sometimes to someone with years of experience.

I am sure your cover letter is fine, as is your resume-if you want to see if it can shine more post it here without identifying info and there will be wonderful people to help you. I had 4 people look at mine (my prof, 2 teachers and someone who hires in corporate) to make sure and one red-lined it a bit. My few interviewers have commented on how good it is. So that is step one. Send your resumes as far as you are willing to commute. I do a 45 minute radius. Send to private schools, religious schools, everywhere. Send cold resumes-often ads are not posted. Follow up as you have been. That is all you can do!!!!!

Good luck and know that you are not alone. My last count is something like 300 teachers in my area have been let go or may be let go because of budgets. A lot of people share your frustration.
    You can PM anytime if you want to vent or want me to check out your cover letter/resume.

7. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

Meg,

I am also possibly relocating. I've only been out of school for a year, but I live in SW PA and jobs are nearly impossible to find here. The district I sub for, had 5 teachers retire this year...and they are NOT hiring ANYONE!!!! So i got on teachers-teachers.com and applied to schools in VA, NC, SC, and FL all states that my hubby has said he would be willing to move. The hard part is knowing that my parents won't get to see their granddaughter on a daily basis like they do now. Financially...I'm not sure how we'll swing that...but a bunch of the schools in NC are offering either relocation packages or signing bonuses for teachers. I wish you the best and go with your gut. Mine's telling me that this is the only way I'm going to get a job anytime in the near future!

8. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

wow guys....thanks so much for your insight! at this point in my life, i really don't know how i'd be able to relocate. my bf and i aren't exactly rich (we both still live at home).

since i am fresh out of college, do you think taking a maternity leave or long term sub position for a year is a good idea over relocating? what are your opinions? thanks again!

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

If relocating means a permanent position, then I would do it!! Maternity leaves and LTS do not neccessarily lead to permanent position. The boards here are full of stories of people that have been down that road and it has gotten them nowhere.

10. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I am looking at relocating now and all of the schools that I have interviewed at have been more than happy to do phone interviews, and those have seemed to go very well. I have gotten offers from every school I have interviewed over the phone with so far. Good luck to you!!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

You're much better off taking a regular classroom job in another place than accepting an LTS position where you're at now. I agree with the other poster who said that LTS positions don't often lead to regular positions.

One thing to consider is moving to a district with a big teacher shortage. Often they give relocation bonuses and/or signing bonuses to help with the expenses associated with setting up a new household. When I moved to Vegas, they gave me a $2,000 signing bonus--half of it when I got here and half once I started the school year. One of my friends who moved to Arizona got the same amount all at once when she first got there.

You should think about moving to Las Vegas. We are in desperate need of good teachers because the community is booming. Fill out the application at www.ccsd.net . I'd be happy to help in any way I can!

12. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

which credit union did you use?

I am looking at possibly relocating within the state of CA and a relocation loan would be helpful. I can only find credit unions that give them to teachers coming into San Diego and LA.

13. azreader

azreader Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I did use a credit union for relocating to Southern Ca. that you may already checked out.

Anyway, it is the California Credit Union and all they needed was to see a job offer in writing and that your old/present address is different from where the teaching job offer happens to be. Hence, the need for you to relocate. I understand they have several branches.

You see, I was based in Indiana and came over to accept a teaching job offer here in LA.