Relocating and Networking

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FT2012, Jul 6, 2012.

1. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Jul 6, 2012

As I’ve stated in previous posts, I recently and unexpectedly moved to a new state. I know a handful of people and I don’t know where to begin with networking for a job. I feel like my job search has come to a stop because I haven’t networked at all. I missed all the job fairs in the spring and there are hardly any postings left on my local districts’ websites.

In an earlier post, I discussed visiting schools with postings and delivering my cover letter and resume personally. I am tempted to go to every elementary school within 45 min drive from my home; however, I don’t know if it looks unprofessional to contact schools that have not advertised any positions. I don’t want to seem pushy or unprofessional, because that could hinder my chances in the future. But, I also know that sometimes you have to take a risk to get somewhere.

Also, I relocated with my long-term boyfriend because his job transferred him. I know that principals might be curious about my reasons for relocating. I know that it’s sometimes risky to admit you’re engaged or married in a job interview; however, I feel mentioning my boyfriend will be even more unfavorable (for example, some people aren't personally keen on non-married couples living together, etc). How would you address my reasons for relocating, if asked?

Can anyone offer advice on this situation; what about networking tips? I'm in the Tampa, FL area.

3. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012

I would definitely email principals! Be sure to write an amazing cover letter, with your credentials, teaching passions, experience, etc. Also, you could write that you recently moved, and you are excited about working for ____ school division bc of its rep for ____ and the community is _____, etc. If you are asked, just reply that it is for personal reasons. I doubt they would ask any further. If they do, mention you wanted to grow professionally, and bring up why ____ was attractive to you, or why this area was. There are ways to explain your move without saying, " I am living with my bf out of wedlock." It's ok by me, but you are right about other views.

I got called for 3 interviews that weren't posted, attended 2, and got a job! My division is super picky about posting positions. They also may have teachers looking for other jobs, but are unable to post bc the teacher hasn't officially left yet.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2012

I agree, definitely email the Ps and don't feel bad about dropping off information if they don't have a position advertised. You never know when they will.

I don't think it is bad to mention that you are married or engaged in an interview. You could just say that you wanted to be closer to your boyfriend or family. You don't have to mention that you are living together.

5. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 8, 2012

What county are you looking to work in? I'm in Hillsborough & I know there will still be job postings through the first few weeks of school. I know there's not much out there now, but i know they all aren't posted. For example, I believe my school may still have a few more openings, unless they were all filled at the teacher interview day. There are usually positions open during the first few weeks of school due to CSR...keep checking. I don't know that dropping of your resume at the schools will help much, as you may not get past the secretary...

6. springmac

springmac Companion

Jul 8, 2012

..oh, and I don't think anyone will judge your situation. People are pretty open minded down here...