Relocated: S. East to N. East

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 6, 2015

Hey there!

My family and I recently moved from the Southern Florida area to the upper valley of New Hampshire and I am reaching out to any teachers in the New England area. :) Or, really, any teachers who've relocated schools after 10 years in the same place.

I've only taught in So. Fla. and am nervous about beginning my position teaching 4th grade here in chilly NH. And by chilly.. it's 55 degrees at 6:30 AM! :help: I grew up in Massachusetts so I'm familiar w/ winter but I've been in Miami for last 10 years and think my blood has thinned out!

So far our 4 year old son loves the "outdoors." We live in a woodsy area where not even pizza can deliver (but amazon prime can, thank God!)

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2015

All I can say is layers. I am not from there but from where it gets cold & snowy!!!! Your son will LOVE the snow!!! Driving slow & easy...the worst part of winter I think!!! Good luck!!! We have family in Florida & they said come visit... I said we would melt. Weather people say we have reached 90 a couple times this summer...a first is 2 yrs.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2015

Thoughts of snow days will help! Like diznee, I could not stand the heat of Florida.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2015

Purchase a cardigan that is a size or two too large. Hang it on the back of your desk chair to have at anytime you get cold. It'll be large enough to go over even your bulkiest sweater.

I also keep WARM fuzzy slippers and computer gloves at school to wear after hours when I need to get computer work done.

I also wear leggings under pants for warmth.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2015

:lol:

DW won't turn thermostat above 50 at that temperature...

That said, I know people from Singapore who said they wear their socks to bed if the temperature gets to the low 70's.