religious curriculum

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Blue, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2006

I just got a new job as Director of a child care. I am comfortable with all my job requirements--except for the religious curriculum. I accepted the job with the understanding that I could purchase a preschool/kindergarten curriculum for the religious component. Does anyone have or know of a Developmentally Appropriate religious curriculum?

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2006

www.gospellight.com

ETA: I am assuming you are talking Christian curriculum since it wasn't stated otherwise. ;)

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 21, 2006

Oh, yes, a nondenominational Christian curriculum. Thanks for asking. The child care is sponsored by a Lutheran church.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2006

Gospel Light has wonderful curriculum kits. We used those at the daycare I ran and the teachers all said they were easy to use and very handy! Click on youth curriclum, then children's curriculum. They have things for full day/week programs, Sunday program, and preschool programs for all ages and needs!

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 21, 2006

This might help you!

Announcing the new Concordia Publishing House website!

http://www.cph.org

The new site has been designed to address a multitude of needs that various site users may bring. Visitors will be able to find articles, product excerpts, downloads and information regarding new products to assist them in their various professional and personal roles.

The online order area of the www.cph.org site will offer the most dramatic and noticeable changes from previous offerings. It features a broad array of new capabilities, including downloadable product, sophisticated search capabilities, a comprehensive product organization to facilitate navigation, real-time shipping charge calculations, and customer controlled user profiles.

7. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 21, 2006

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 22, 2006

I shall be examining all of these very carefully. Thank you for the assistance.

9. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 22, 2006

FYI: Concordia is a Lutheran Publishing House.

10. sewsouth

sewsouth Companion

Nov 23, 2006

Our preschool uses Lifeway. It is the same curriculum that they use for Sunday School, but the kids love it. You can purchase a teachers guide, learners guides for the kids, a resource kit...this is great because it has a pictures for each lesson and the kids like to look at pictures and also additional resources for each week. It come in quarterly books.
    I am very pleased with it.

11. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Nov 23, 2006

Alpha Omega, Bob Jones, Sonlight, ABeka, Horizons, etc., all have preschool curriculum. If you can get hold of a homeschool catalog, that would be great to browse.

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 24, 2006

I love stuff from Group Publishing
    I taught Sunday School with the Hands On Bible Curriculum (HOBC) for almost six years. It's pretty flexible, so it should work for a preschool class too.
    Group also has some great training workshops, and they give their customers a lot of free gifts (it's part of their tithe- every year they come up with a product that is free for their customers)

13. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 24, 2006

What is the name of the publishing house for ELCA - another branch of the Lutheran church?

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 24, 2006

Augsburg Fortress, I believe.

15. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 24, 2006

And Northwestern Publishing House is WELS

16. BHSHockeyMom62

BHSHockeyMom62 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

Hi Blue,

If the day care is run by a Lutheran church why do they want a nondenom religion curriculum? Did the day care not have one before they hired you?

If you check out Concordia Publishing House they have a curriculum that is for infants/toddlers and then one called Little Lambs for preschool to age 5.

Our church has a day school and a preschool and all the religion curriculums are from Concordia (we are an LCMS congregation)

Concordia's curriculums are very good, Bible based and set up so anyone can be comfortable teaching using them.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2006

The day care is run by the Lutheran Church, but they want to meet the need of all religions--so want a generic religious curriculum. No, they did not have a curriculum before I started (well, I start on Monday). The board has authorized me to present some options I like. But since some of you use these curriculums, it makes sense to ask you. When I asked what curriculum was in place, the board said they had been told "a developmentally appropriate one." That is fine, but there is no control, accountability, or oversite when the curriculum is that loose.

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2006

Blue, I think it makes sense to use a non-denominational curriculum when using it in preschool. It will attract other Christian families that do not attend or belong to a Lutheran Church. I think more families would feel comfortable with a curriculum not set on one denomination, personally. I know I would, being that I attend a Bible church, not a Lutheran one. Plus, some towns do not have a lot of choices for private schools so that would cater to many people, not just one group. JMO.

ETA: Just a question for those who do use a Lutheran based curriculum (I know you do Kinder right?). Is there really a big difference in the teachings between a Lutheran based one and a non-denominational when using them for this young of kids? I ask out of curiosity because I am not Lutheran. Just wondering. I would imagine there being differences when they get older...confirmation, etc. I also ask just in case this would come up later down the road when my children are older. The town we would like to move to in a couple years only has public, Lutheran, and Catholic schools. Not any non-denominational Christian schools.

19. BHSHockeyMom62

BHSHockeyMom62 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

There are differences. For one thing Lutherans understand baptism to be something God does, not something we do for God. I know our day school in the preschool class teaches about baptism. Lutherans believe that in baptism God gives the child; faith, forgiveness of sins and the Holy Spirit. It is a means to which God brings a child into His family. No where, does God say that little children are to be excluded from receiving these blessings and that is why Lutherans baptize babies.

The Lutheran religion curriculums from Concordia are very good check out the link that someone posted and check out "Blessings" which is for infants through age 3 and "Little Lambs" for 3 and 4 year olds. I have used curriculums from Concordia before and they are developed by teachers and are excellent and developmentally appropriate.

Blue, can I ask you if that is an ELCA church or LCMS? Most LCMS day care centers called "Open Arms" would not even consider using a non-Lutheran religion curriculum.

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2006

BHS, I don't know. As I said, I begin on Monday. I am not very knowledgeable regarding the Lutheran religion. But, even though I have never taught in a religious school, I am of the opinion that a curriculum must be in place--how else are the parents going to decide if their children should be in this program. And, I do not want to be the one deciding what religious doctrine a child is to learn.

21. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 30, 2006

It does appear that you have made up your mind not to use a Lutheran curriculum. However, considering their age I doubt that any curriculum is going to make them or their parents decide what their religion doctrine is.

Most LCMS and WELS churches would not consider using a curriculum that wasn't Lutheran. In fact most would not consider hiring a teacher that was not Lutheran (and this is not meant to be a slam against you.) However, to be on the safe side, I would ask the pastor of the church his opinion. If it doesn't matter to him (as opposed to whoever "they" is) I guess you can get anything you like. Be aware however, that most supposedly nondenomination curriculum is baptist based. Not that there is anything wrong with being a baptist, but again you are teaching religious doctrine. You are either bringing up infant baptism or you are not - both are specific doctrines.

22. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2006

wig--no offense taken. I agree--if they wanted a complete Lutheran program, they should have hired a Lutheran. None of the teachers are Lutherans, either. That is why I am concerned. One of the board members said their was an ABeka curriculum back in the storeroom--but it was very old, and had not every been used. I looked it over, and feel there must be something available that does not use worksheets--as I plan to ban worksheets (except for K.)

Of course I think I am the perfect person for this job--LOL. I had a 2 hour interview, and several phone follow ups. The minister was on the hiring committee, and he and I have discussed this issue--and that was when I asked for an appropriate curriculum.

Thanks for all your input--I need to hear all of this. It makes me more knowledgeable about my job.

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2006

Aren't there a lot of different synod's which could make a difference in their hiring teachers and curriculum choices? My hubby's family are all Lutheran, I should know this, but I don't know details. Only that there are different types of Lutheran churches.

24. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 30, 2006

My opinion - I don't think that A Beka is at all appropriate for a Lutheran preschool! Any LCMS school that I have been at used Concordia Publishing House - and would never have even considered anything else.

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2006

I am excited to look over all of the curriculums mentioned, and I have not ruled out the Lutheran curriculum, in fact, I think I am leaning toward that one as of now.

I am not the one to make the final decision. The Board of Directors will--and the minister is on the Board. I have just made a list of all the suggestions--and am going to web sites for samples, and more information. I shall keep you posted on the process. And, thank you for your help. I did not know anything about religious currciculum before --your help was wonderful.

26. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 30, 2006

Okay, with the information from all of you, I was able to ask intellegent questions:

Kids of the Kingdom is a Christian Child Care Center sponsored by a Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2006

28. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 30, 2006

The written word can be misunderstood. I am glad you didn't! :D

29. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 30, 2006

WELS is the most conservative

LCMS leans toward conservative but not quite as much

ELCA is liberal in comparison.

There are other smaller synods.

The curriculums between the three are pretty similar - especially for the younger children. Usually Lutheran schools and daycares use Lutheran materials - just as Catholic schools do. WELS and LCMS generally hire Lutheran teachers when possible. In fact they both have universities to train their teachers.

30. BHSHockeyMom62

BHSHockeyMom62 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

ELCA really needs to remove the "L" from it's title as many ELCA churches do not even resemble Lutheran :)

We do have non-Lutheran teachers at our day school but our problem is no synodically trained Lutheran teachers want to come to New England. When we interview candidates that are not Lutheran they do understand that they must follow the religion curriculum and teach it, but if in their heart they can not teach it we totally understand and they are not offered the position.

Blue, one thing to understand is... If I send my child to a Catholic school I understand that my child will be taught Catholic doctrine. If I send my child to a Baptist school I would understand my children would be taught Baptist doctrines. If a Lutheran school is not going to use Lutheran religious curriculums then they should not be considered a Lutheran school (sorry this is not against you just my opinion).

Being serious, go speak with the Pastor and see what he thinks the school should be teaching in regards to religious curriculums.

31. wig

wig Devotee

Nov 30, 2006

When I taught in the Southeast we had the same problem. The school I am currently at will hire non-synodically trained Lutherans, and pay 80% of the tuition for getting their collequey. I am not trying to sound snobbish, but I am thinking this is probably an ELCA school .

32. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Nov 30, 2006

I teach at a Lutheran preschool/elementary school. I know that both our 3 & 4 yrs use the CPH curriculum and seem to like it. I use it in 1st grade (with a group of children who are mostly NOT Lutheran) and I don't find it to be overly "one-sided". You need to remember that you are teaching the students about grace & God loving them. Every Christian demonination will agree with that. You do, however, need to make sure that you arn't contradicting what the church that supports your school, says. Ask the pastor of the connecting church what he suggests for curriculum. They are rather knowledgeable (usually)

33. BHSHockeyMom62

BHSHockeyMom62 Rookie

Dec 1, 2006

At least your hiring "Lutherans". I feel we are almost at the point of not being able to call ourselves a "Lutheran School". We have a faculty of 10, and out of that 10, six are not Lutheran, three are synodically trained and one is a non-synodically trained Lutheran. We used to hire only synodically trained teachers or at least Lutherans that would get their collequey. We had an awesome principal years back who would call the Concordia Colleges and knew the people in the placement offices and we would get teachers that way. Now..... we have a principal that fell into the trap of hiring non-called teachers and that is where we are at now.

34. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 1, 2006

I think the fact that we are in the midwest helps - it's a stronger Lutheran area due to the heavy German/Scandinavian ancestery. when I taught in the SE district one of the principals fell into the same trap as yours and many were non-Lutherans. when they got a new principal, he was appalled and as new teachers were needed, he abolished the practice of non-Lutheran teachers and did his best to get synodically trained teachers. The non-Lutherans they had were not allowed to teach religion past second grade. The majority of the students are not Lutheran.

35. BHSHockeyMom62

BHSHockeyMom62 Rookie

Dec 1, 2006

Our pay scale really hurts us too as we can't compete with places like Texas. If our church was doing better than we could also pay the teachers better. We lost a synodically trained teacher this past year because she just could not handle working 2 other part time jobs to supplement her teaching income.

I see you are a middle school teacher so I don't know if you would know the answer to this question. But at the elementary level do the Concordia teacher prep programs in their method classes teach, shared and guided reading and centers? Do they have lab schools on their campuses?

Being in MA our day school is falling short in a few areas and is not up to snuff with the methods used in the public schools. We have children leaving us going into public high schools (we don't have any Lutheran High Schools in NE) and the kids are scoring low in a couple areas on our state mandated MCAS tests.

36. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2006

I can see the reason for wanting to hire Lutheran teachers in a Lutheran school. Why be a Lutheran school if the Lutheran doctrine is not being taught? Same goes for any other Christian Bible based school here, they do not hire non-Christians. However, with them, it's not so much about denomination, it's just about being a Christian, as other doctrine from other denominations are not used.

I honestly hate how the Christian religion is so separated by denominations. That's not to be taken in offense, it's just a vent. To me, it's the matter that we all are believers in Christ, that is all. :( That's a whole other thread though.

37. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 1, 2006

I graduated from Seward 35 years ago, so to be honest I do not know what they teach. I know Seward, Ann Arbor, and River forest have a lab school. (I think that is what they call them) I did teach lower grades for the first 15 years - mostly first.

Our congregation is very good about paying for a good portion of continuing ed and we strive to meet and exceed state benchmarks. Our kids score very high on the MEAPS. The public high schools love us and always place our kids in accelerated classes on our recommendation, so I guess we are doing something right. The state is not good at letting us know about changes in expectations so the teachers are very proactive in checking the DOE website and sharing information. MI District has also set up task forces to write faith integrated objectives based on state benchmarks.

To be perfectly honest, I do not know if the teachers are using the methods you mentioned above or not. Those were not the buzz words 20 years ago. I know we are strong in the area of phonics.

38. BHSHockeyMom62

BHSHockeyMom62 Rookie

Dec 1, 2006

I honestly hate how the Christian religion is so separated by denominations. That's not to be taken in offense, it's just a vent. To me, it's the matter that we all are believers in Christ, that is all. :( That's a whole other thread though.[/QUOTE]

I understand where you are coming from JenPooh, God never intended it to be that way. Yes, it is very important that we are all believers and "trust" in Christ, but there are soooo many demoninations out there that have twisted the Word of God that we have to be discerning when it comes to what churches teach.

39. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 7, 2006

Well, I have started. I love the facility. But, I have so much work to do and so many things to do that I am not worrying about curriculum right now. In spite of the fact that the board said they did not have a religious curriculum, I have found several small ones in the teacher room. When I get all this together, I will assess what is here.

Again, thank you to all of you for your support.

40. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 10, 2006

Okay, it has been a week. I am exhausted with all the paperwork-etc. that has not been done for 2 months. How do you do it--billing every week, USDA, shopping, supervising?

I did want to make it clear--this program is non-denominational Christian, not neccesarily Lutheran. That is why I think we need a curriculum. I want to be very clear what we are teaching.

Right now I am dealing with a Christmas program. And, if any of you remember me during the "Christmas Program" threads--you know that I am totally against them. This was planned before I came on board. In my generous "Christian" heart, I am not offending anyone by stopping it. But, next year I want to do the Feeding the Animals with the Tree thing, that was mentioned last year. I have already offended the cook by taking hot dogs and peanut butter off the menus.

41. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

Blue, that is exactly what I had to deal with at my last job. The two directors before me did SQUAT! I had to revamp the entire curriculum (regular curriculum and Christian based curriculum), files, staff, policies, etc. It was aweful. After all the hard work though I got to see my final outcome and it was so well worth the hard work. I considered the center my baby. Even after the organization I worked for closed, I had not done everything I truly wanted to do. But the two years I got to make things as my own, it was wonderful! After you get past the hump and start seeing your effort put into light, you'll be so thrilled and happy.