Religious affiliations in religious schools

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by katerinaver, Aug 17, 2014.

1. katerinaver

katerinaver Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone can tell me whether teachers in private religious schools have to be affiliated with the same religion as the school?
    Is this stricter in Catholic schools?
    If I am not Catholic do I even have a chance to be accepted in Catholic schools?

3. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Aug 17, 2014

I know that in my area at least you're supposed to be a practicing Catholic to even apply at a Catholic school. Other parochial schools in the area are less strict, but I think it really does depend on the domination.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2014

I think it also depends on the area. You don't have to be affiliated with the religion in most religious schools around her, but you do have to be able to teach the children the religion of the school.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 17, 2014

I am not Catholic but teach in a Catholic school. I can't teach Religion class, so I trade with another teacher, and teach her science class while she teaches my Religion class. I also wouldn't be able to teach 2nd grade, because that requires a Catechist to teach them about their 1st Communion.

Some Catholic schools won't consider someone who is not Catholic. Others, like mine, embrace other Christians. We do, however, make sure that the majority of our teachers are Catholics.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 17, 2014

Some Catholic schools will hire non-Catholics, but they still expect you to attend school masses and sign a morality clause agreeing with their teachings and saying you won't say or do anything against them.

7. katerinaver

katerinaver Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

This is very interesting since most sites state that they do not discriminate against religions...but I guess in a way they do!
    So, how can an applicant know, or should I just apply anyway, and hope for the best!?

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 9, 2014

I think it depends on the school, as others have said.
    I teach in a Private Baptist school (well the church affiliated is Baptist), but I'm non denominational. A lot of schools in my area will hire teachers even if they aren't Christian. In our school you must be and are asked many questions about your faith during the interview process.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2014

Apply, keep personal feelings to yourself, but be honest if you are going to be in constant conflict with what they hold near and dear to their hearts. I avoid the church school locally because I am a science teacher who believes in evolution. I also believe in God, but I would constantly be butting heads over this in curriculum.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2014

It depends on the school. Many around here don't require you to be of the exact faith, but expect you to be a member of a church and agree with the teachings of the school.

11. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 9, 2014

I have a Jewish friend who teaches at a Catholic high school. They never asked and she's never said. She does go to morning prayer with them and just sits quietly while they pray, but she's had no issues.

12. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 21, 2015

At a protestant school (at least in my experience) you do have to be part of that faith to teach there.
    Catholic schools vary… In the area I live the catholic schools specify if you have to be catholic or not for each position.

13. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 21, 2015

This is why I'm not even going to try to teach in a local Christian school... though I've considered Catholic schools since they tend to be more friendly toward evolution haha.

I've always heard that you don't have to be Catholic to teach at a Catholic school (according to my ex-Catholic friend), but it sounds like that really does depend on the school/diocese (the catholic schools around here all require applications through whichever diocese they're affiliated with; not sure if that's a universal thing or not).