Religions that don't immunize kids?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Aug 27, 2009.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

I'm glad this issue has gotten easier to deal with over the last 20 years. Admittedly, my experiences are out of date. A religious exemption in Nevada back in the 80s required letters from clergy with longstanding relationship. You had to be able to prove I think 5 years continuous involvement with the religion, but I could be wrong on the figure.

I'm probably ok for any vaccines now other than my aversion to them. The side effects seem to be more severe for kids, and I didn't have any serious issues with the last ones I had, including some I needed for a 3 month stay in Mexico City.

I'm really not sure what I would do if I had kids. I think vaccines do a great deal of good, but they do scare me. The percentages though are on the side of getting them done, but that isn't much comfort if your kid is one of the tiny % who has one.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2009

I forget where I got this, but it sums up the whole tiny-chance-of-a-problem issue pretty well:

"2% are good odds-- unless you're one of the 2. Then it becomes 100%."

My kids are all immunized, even though Brian had a reaction to the MMR (thankfully it was just a high fever and things along those lines.) We did our research, and took the advice of a pediatrician we respect highly, and the kids were all fine.

But there's enough room for doubt that I can understand the concerns of some. And some people, particularly those who have survived Measles, Mumps or Rubella (I had the 1st 2 as a kid) would rather take their chances with a rough 2 weeks being sick than a child who is autistic for life.

But I do have a question: why don't parents who are hesitant about MMR just choose to get the 3 vaccines separately? I've never heard of issues with the individual vaccines, just the MMR. So why not just break them up? There's obviously a perfectly good answer out there somewhere. I'm pretty sure they've removed the mercury, so that's no longer the issue.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2009

I lost my hearing from an immunization shot.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2009

Ouch. Which vaccine? And do they know for sure that it was the vaccine that caused it?

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 29, 2009

Not everyone is convinced that would solve the problem. Also, it is hard to get the separate vaccines. Merck stopped production so they aren't even available right now, but they have announced they will be available again in 2011.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2009

Thanks Amanda. I knew there had to be an answer to such an obvious question.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2009

They are reasonably sure this is what caused it. I had a high fever and it was noted 3 days later I was suddenly deaf. I recently found out I have an enlarged vestubular acquedut so I was probably already predisposed. This was the DPT shot. Many kids in the 70's had side effects from it. My oldest child only had the pediatric DpT as a result. Later when I found out that shot wasn't using live vaccines anymore, I upgraded his immunization.

Alice, not everyone will do as much research into each individual shot. They will do a blanket research and realize that as a whole immunizations do cause a lot of problems in a select percentage of people. That fear is enough for some people. I recently had to get an immunization before they operated on my head area. Again, I was one of those 1% chances. I did my research though and found out the vaccine was largely safe even for those who had the side effect. There was still a chance of serious effects but I read what the symptoms were and that it was treatable if caught in time. In other words, if I had trouble breathing call 9-1-1. Don't wait.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 29, 2009

let me share your frustration. I homeschool my children. However I believe in imunizing my kids........... and let me tell you that I'm the oddball for doing so. (so I feel). I do understand the fear of some imunizations and how they have side effects. But I think the epidemic of not imunizing is gonna bite us in the butt as a whole.:unsure:

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

Yep. I tried to get the separate vaccines for my son and couldn't. Before Merck stopped production, we had a doctor lined up who was willing to purchase the separate vaccines for us. When it came time to get the vaccine, we found out it was unavailable.

I think I've spent more time researching vaccines than almost any other issue since I've become a parent. Yet, still, I feel like I know so little. It is almost impossible to find unbiased information on the subject.

10. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 30, 2009

I have not read the entire thread but I can't have immunizations due to severe allergic reactions to the synthetic binders they use. In college I had to put religious exemption because I was on a time restriction and couldn't get my medical records sent over fast enough. The medical exemption required medical records and the religious only required you to sign a statement.

As an adult I have been offered alternatives to the old immunizations I had reactions to but I declined those for personal reasons. I think we over immunize in America and I know of many parents that feel the same way.

ETA: When I have children I plan to vaccinate, however I won't follow the schedule they typically push. I plan to look for individual vaccines rather than groups and delay many of them. There is just too much research on how viruses are causing cancer (the other "causes" are actually more of a trigger) as well as all the other issues vaccines can cause. I want my children to have as much time as possible to develop their immune systems naturally without being bombarded with vaccines.

11. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I have two children. My first daughter was hospitalized after her second round of imm's. We decided to go ahead and vaccinate our second child, but stopped after her second set because she had a 104 temp from the mmr. I do not believe in using the newer vaccines due to the aborted babies issue. I am still on the fence about having any further vaccines given to my children. I teach K and have seen children imm'ed against chicken pox still get chicken pox, so I feel this is truly a waste of money. My pediatrician says that the child is better off to just get pox because it is safer than getting multiple cases of chicken pox due to the lower immunity the vaccine provides. Our family is still praying about the kindergarten boosters for our children, it is a hard decision and we do not take it lightly.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 30, 2009

Okay, I'm sorry, but I missed there being an "aborted baby issue" with vaccines. What?

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

Fetal cells are used to create some of the vaccines.

I ended up doing delayed and selective vaccination with my son. I wouldn't have vaccinated at all, but my husband wanted to and he is just as much his parent as I am. I struggled with it for a long time.

I vaccinated as minimally as I could. There are lots of vaccines on the CDC "required" list that are not on the list "required" by schools. Also, you can sometimes get fewer doses of a vaccine if you wait until after the 4th birthday to give the 3rd dose.

Chicken pox is the one that I still refuse to give him. Maybe because I had chicken pox as a child so I'm more "familiar" with it. My husband had chicken pox as an adult. Not fun and very dangerous. It's true that the children who are vaccinated for it still often get a mild case. If you aren't vaccinated and get it, you are immune for life. I'm sure the vaccine will not provide lifelong immunity, which leaves our children vulnerable when they are older and the virus is more dangerous for them.

14. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

Yes, the chicken pox vaccine is the one I have issues with the most. That may be simply because I had chicken pox and grew up thinking that it was something everybody got and then became immune to. I guess now that I am pregnant I should really start looking into the vaccinations that are required. Wow! I never really thought of whether or not vaccines are worth it!

15. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I became interested in this issue before I had any children, when I read an article in the Phila. Inquirer about the woman who started this organization:

http://www.nvic.org/about.aspx

The article told about her child, who had serious problems after he was vaccinated. I read more about the issue and decided not to vaccinate my future children.

But once I had children, it was a whole different ballgame. These were my babies. Everyone I knew vaccinated. How could I possibly go against this? What if something terrible happened and they contracted a serious illness? How would I feel then?

Then I met some families that had never vaccinated their children. I was surprised to see how very healthy these children were. Their example gave me the courage to go without vaccinations for my children. I have never regretted it. My children never see the doctor (we don't even do well visits, like most families I know). They have no health problems.

My husband wanted them to have vaccinations. I had him read the information on the web site and books and articles that I had, and then we discussed it. After getting educated about it, he agreed to no vaccinations.