Religions that don't immunize kids?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Aug 27, 2009.

1. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I have two children. My first daughter was hospitalized after her second round of imm's. We decided to go ahead and vaccinate our second child, but stopped after her second set because she had a 104 temp from the mmr. I do not believe in using the newer vaccines due to the aborted babies issue. I am still on the fence about having any further vaccines given to my children. I teach K and have seen children imm'ed against chicken pox still get chicken pox, so I feel this is truly a waste of money. My pediatrician says that the child is better off to just get pox because it is safer than getting multiple cases of chicken pox due to the lower immunity the vaccine provides. Our family is still praying about the kindergarten boosters for our children, it is a hard decision and we do not take it lightly.

2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 30, 2009

Okay, I'm sorry, but I missed there being an "aborted baby issue" with vaccines. What?

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2009

Fetal cells are used to create some of the vaccines.

I ended up doing delayed and selective vaccination with my son. I wouldn't have vaccinated at all, but my husband wanted to and he is just as much his parent as I am. I struggled with it for a long time.

I vaccinated as minimally as I could. There are lots of vaccines on the CDC "required" list that are not on the list "required" by schools. Also, you can sometimes get fewer doses of a vaccine if you wait until after the 4th birthday to give the 3rd dose.

Chicken pox is the one that I still refuse to give him. Maybe because I had chicken pox as a child so I'm more "familiar" with it. My husband had chicken pox as an adult. Not fun and very dangerous. It's true that the children who are vaccinated for it still often get a mild case. If you aren't vaccinated and get it, you are immune for life. I'm sure the vaccine will not provide lifelong immunity, which leaves our children vulnerable when they are older and the virus is more dangerous for them.

4. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

Yes, the chicken pox vaccine is the one I have issues with the most. That may be simply because I had chicken pox and grew up thinking that it was something everybody got and then became immune to. I guess now that I am pregnant I should really start looking into the vaccinations that are required. Wow! I never really thought of whether or not vaccines are worth it!

5. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

I became interested in this issue before I had any children, when I read an article in the Phila. Inquirer about the woman who started this organization:

http://www.nvic.org/about.aspx

The article told about her child, who had serious problems after he was vaccinated. I read more about the issue and decided not to vaccinate my future children.

But once I had children, it was a whole different ballgame. These were my babies. Everyone I knew vaccinated. How could I possibly go against this? What if something terrible happened and they contracted a serious illness? How would I feel then?

Then I met some families that had never vaccinated their children. I was surprised to see how very healthy these children were. Their example gave me the courage to go without vaccinations for my children. I have never regretted it. My children never see the doctor (we don't even do well visits, like most families I know). They have no health problems.

My husband wanted them to have vaccinations. I had him read the information on the web site and books and articles that I had, and then we discussed it. After getting educated about it, he agreed to no vaccinations.

6. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 30, 2009

Aball- You are not the oddball, I have been reading this thread and while I'm all about religion and sticking to what you believe and protecting your health if you are allergic to vaccinations, not getting these vaccines worries me. I agree that it may come back to "bite us in the butt", or at least those people who refuse to immunize their kids. I think it could cause bigger problems in the long run for society.

7. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

I feel that parents today are far removed from the dangers that these diseases used to cause before there were vaccines for them. I actually contracted a vaccine-preventable disease before a year before the shot was available, and it left me with a permanent, severe hearing loss. I almost died. As more people choose not to utilize vaccines, our herd immunity is diminished and all of us are at greater risk. I can promise you that my parents would have given the world to have been able to vaccinate me and prevent what my family went through. People no longer get it - they are far removed from the deaths and disabilities caused by disease because enough of us are vaccinated that at this time, we are somewhat protected.

8. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

There is a special about this on NBC Dateline right now (from 7-8pm eastern time zone). Sorry for late post, just turned on the TV and saw it.

9. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2009

"Fetal tissue"
    One sometimes hears that vaccines contain "tissue from aborted fetuses", which is not true. No tissue that came from any fetus is in the vaccine. What is true is that some cell cultures were established decades ago using cells from aborted fetuses, and that viruses for vaccinations are grown in those cell cultures. But no cell that came from a fetus is part of the vaccine, and no abortions are performed as part of the process of vaccine production.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2009

Once you have chicken pox, the virus lies dormant in your body.
    Occassionally, the chickenpox virus becomes active again. This usually occurs in adulthood. When the virus activates a painful skin rash develops. This rash is known as shingles or adult chicken pox and strikes 20 per cent of adults. Shingles are not contagious, but it is possible to infect individuals with chicken pox that have not had chicken pox before. I have had several family members develop shingles.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2009

As a personal side note to all of this: I have two boys on the autism spectrum; if I had to do it all over again, I would STILL choose to vaccinate.