Religion in Montessori?

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by Viola221b, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Viola221b

Viola221b Rookie

Sep 12, 2012

Hi All,

I'm a dedicated atheist/materialist, just starting my training as a Montessori Elementary teacher. Before the program began, I told my trainer that I could never teach Christian ideas to children. She said not to worry: that I wouldn't have to discuss religion at all. Well, now we're 2 weeks in, and we're hearing creationist ideas every day. We've just been told the story about "The God Who Has No Hands", and we're clearly expected to learn it and tell it in our own classrooms.

Everything else about the Montessori philosophy is so humanistic and life-affirming. But the religious stuff is utterly repellant to me. I could never present it as fact to any child. I believe that if a child asks about the cosmos, she should be given real scientific information.

What can I do? Do I have to drop out? I'd love to hear from more experienced Montessorians. Thanks so much for your help! :)

3. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Sep 12, 2012

Don't teach it, but all three of my kids attend Montessori and there is no religious affiliation.

Have you questioned it?