Religion in faculty emails

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Ok. And?

I still would not go to Admin to complain about a teacher's email signature. Now, if you would, that's fine.

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2015

My school email is used, not just for communicating with other staff members, but for any of my "professional" communication, which includes parents. I used to have a fairly generic quote included in my email signature, but took it off after I was questioned about its meaning by a parent. The parent wasn't accusatory, just questioning, but it made me more aware of how different audiences were viewing what I sent out. The last thing I want to do is risk offending someone.

I find the last example you quoted, cat, as crossing way over the line. School email is not the place to preach. As a signature line in a personal email, fine, but not a professional one.

3. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jan 9, 2015

What if they're simply quoting the Bible as a work of historical fiction? Books are quoted all the time. It doesn't have to mean they're pushing an agenda.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

OP here again. The teacher posting the quotations is also the sponsor of the school's Christian Students club (I forget the exact name), so this is something he believes very strongly.

I'm still struggling with how to handle my own feelings. My initial reaction is to attempt to let it go, but it is interfering with my interactions with him. I hate talking with him over the phone or in person because I feel judged as a non-Christian. It also makes me advocate even stronger and more loudly for our mutual students who are in different religions or none at all.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

Precisely, cat. From what I know of you, if you're being made uncomfortable, coworkers of yours are even more uncomfortable. That's unacceptable in the context.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

No one at my site has an email signature. My principal & I don't, either.

A few years ago, I had an email signature & quote. The quote read: “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Why? Has he said or done anything in his interactions with you to actually make you feel judged or is this all about your perception?

Note: Of course, I think you have the right to feel judged. But, I don't think it's fair to say someone is judging you for something when you do not know their true intent. Just my :2cents:.

8. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Bible quotes posted in the classroom of a public school *should* bother you. It should bother Christian teachers, as well as those of other faiths.

Suppose you had a class divided 50% between male and female, and all over you had quotes about how great boys are (and none about girls)? Even if you're a male teacher, that should bother you -- it would say to all the girls in the class that they don't matter, are not deserving of mention, etc.. If you post Bible quotes, you're doing essentially the same thing.

Such quotes might be okay in an all-boys school, I suppose, and Bible quotes would be fine in a religious school.

Oh, I can just imagine the reaction I'd get if I put a Bible verse in my email signature followed by, "The Bible, a work of historical fiction"

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

The right to complain to Admin? I guess so. Why not?

10. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Why? Because you said it should?

If this doesn't bother me, it just doesn't. If there is anything I find offensive, it is that you are telling me that I am wrong in how I feel. Talk about judgemental.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

What ever happened to "tolerance"? Or is tolerance not being shoved down everyone's throats like it used to be? Tolerate the quotes by ignoring them. You don't have to believe them. Christians are supposed to tolerate others. Why can't others tolerate Christians? That teacher isn't preaching the gospel to you and shoving a bible in your face. It is a simple quote in a signature. Like I said before. Put a quote from the Old Testament or the Torah. You believe in the Old Testament, correct?

12. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jan 9, 2015

I hate the word "tolerance" quite a bit. I'd rather see a movement for acceptance than tolerance.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 9, 2015

First of all, I know I'm not being outright judged by this particular teacher. However, having grown up with neighbors telling me (as a 5-year-old) that my soul was doomed because I killed Christ, I'm still a little touchy. It's odd it still affects me that way, considering how much time I spent in my college church, attending services and participating in everything but communion. Perhaps it's the tone of that third quotation I listed that set off my hackles. I love SO MUCH about Christianity, but that idea that my soul is in jeopardy is almost hurtful.

No, I will not post a Torah passage. What if I have a Muslim or atheist coworker who might find it disconcerting? It's too tit-for-tat.

I'm not going to Administration about this. I'm trying to find the best way to deal with my issues in-house, even if it's in my own head. Thank you to those who understand that I'm not about to whine to a principal about this conflict. They have so much on their own plates.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jan 9, 2015

Yes, I am. Sorry about that -- I don't mean to be insulting by it, but I do think you should reconsider the matter carefully.

I am telling you if it's something that has an impact on students, possibly a very negative impact, you should be concerned about it. I gave a similar example -- would you be bothered if a teacher had a bunch of pro-boy quotes up on the wall, and no quote that ever mentioned girls? I don't think the girls would feel very welcome in such a class, and I think a teacher who dismissed it with, "Well, it doesn't bother *ME*, so why should I care?" should reconsider.

15. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 9, 2015

I don't think quotes of ANY kind belong in school emails.

But I don't think you get to complain about Bible quotes if you are okay with quotes from other religious texts or from leaders of other religions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.